Swaging guys

Do you have to use the Corbin press or can you use the RCBS RC IV?
The dies require the Corbin press for a number of reasons -- including the strength of the press. The thread pitch on the dies wont work on a RCBS press -- and the diameter of the treads are different. Also the Corbin press is very different than a normal reloading press. If you visit the Corbin Swaging web site, you can see the Corbin press is very different than a normal reloading press. You need a way to eject the bullet from the die and the Corbin press does that on the down storke! http://www.bulletswage.com/csp-1.htm

I have plenty of lead but it's not in wire form.
Were you making your jackets or buying them?
You need lead wire to form the jacket core. If you had a way to make the proper diameter lead wire from your supply of lead, it would work. I buy my lead wire directly from either Corbin or RCE. Also -- I buy my jackets.

You need lead wire to form the jacket core. If you had a way to make the proper diameter lead wire from your supply of lead, it would work. I buy my lead wire directly from either Corbin or RCE. Also -- I buy my jackets.
If you have lead, you can cast your cores. There was a video showing just that.
I spent a few hours watching videos on the whole process. I saw people using the Corbin press which is built like a tank, prople using RCBS and even LEE press. I watched them using 22LR spent cases to make .223, using preformed caps, or just a copper sheet, punching out discks and turning them into cups, jackets.
It is very interesting, however at my age, the entry level cost is prohibitive for the amount of bullets I see me using beyond of what I have.

I spent a few hours watching videos on the whole process. I saw people using the Corbin press which is built like a tank, prople using RCBS and even LEE press. I watched them using 22LR spent cases to make .223, using preformed caps, or just a copper sheet, punching out discks and turning them into cups, jackets.
It is very interesting, however at my age, the entry level cost is prohibitive for the amount of bullets I see me using beyond of what I have.
I didn't realize a person could cast your cores -- but it makes sense a person could! Yes, the Corbin press is built like a tank! I'm retired and when I go to the range, I go for the whole day during the middle of the week when nobody else is there and take my Oehler Chronograph and several rifles. While the barrel is cooling on one rifle & before I shoot with another rifle, I scrounge around to pick up as many pieces of 22 brass as I can find. I've found that the shorts make good 35 gr bullets for my Hornet and the LR brass makes about 60 gr bullets for a .223. I haven't had to use LR brass yet for my .223 but they say you should keep the velocity below about 3000fps using .22 brass as jackets because it's more brittle than normal jacket material and will fly apart in the air if pushed too fast! I've stocked up on commercial 4-J 22 jackets, so have never had to rely on 22 brass for my bullets!

My close friend still makes the JLKs. Orders are back logged some since all the virus crap but folks are constantly asking for them.

Osoh

Last edited:
I bought the entire set up to create the Starke .25 caliber bullets when they went out of business.

Once I got it all ready and actually made some bullets, I decided that bullet making was not in my soul! I have great admiration for the folks who make custom bullets on a daily basis, they are my heroes. It's just not my thing. :(

If you have lead, you can cast your cores. There was a video showing just that.
I saw some molds for making the wire.
I do have a bunch of 556 55g hollow points made out of 22 brass.

Now you seriously have my attention.
Talk to me about how you were making those 7mm bullets

For the lighter bullets I used regular J4 cups purchased from Corban and trimmed to the length I wanted.

For the partitions I bought some .25 caliber lead wire and cups and formed cylinders. I installed them backward in a 7mm J4 jacket and installed some 7mm wire in front of that and formed them to the shape I wanted.