Sunglasses for hunting

I have been wearing Serengeti Driver Aviators for the last 15 years. They are very good for discerning shapes in the shadows or late ion the day. I also have a pair for everyday driving. They are very helpful for driving in a rain storm or the intense Arizona sun.

Bottom line, I don't hate eyes. Out all day in a sun filled day, especially with snow reflecting more light into your eyes, in and out of the binos/spotter puts a strain the eyes and can fatigue you more than hiking up over timberline. We spend money on all this high speed, low drag gear, days at the reloading bench & range, but neglect your eyesight out in the field, no no no no! Think about it.

I have two pairs of Ray Ban Ambermatic Shooter glasses that I've had for over 30 years. When hunting in bright weather, with or without snow, they are wonderful. They darken when in bright sun, and they lighten up when you are in the shadows. I ALWAYS have a pair in my pack. Regular sun glasses are worthless in the shadows/dark timber.

I absolutely believe they can spook game. But a few hours of white snowfield in pure eastern Montana sunshine will f your eyes up big time!
It can strand a guy till sun goes down. I keep em handy mainly for those long sunny hikes. If you put them on your hat, put them on facing backwards.

I like the Costa with plastic lens. I have dropped too many pairs with glass lens and they crack real easy. Never cracked the plastic. The warranty now is pretty awesome. They will replace the lens no questions asked and no fees anymore but I have already switched all mine to plastic and don't want to buy another repair of $200+ Plus glasses again for a long long time
I've yet to have a pair crack. But I've had lots of sunglasses scratch. Good to know on their warranty, though!

I suffer from skin cancer, so I wear a modified floppy hat from Sun Protection Zone. I put a piece of baling wire in the brim so it doesn't flop in the wind. That keeps my polarized glasses in the shade. When I'm using my binos, I lift my glasses so they are under the hat, but out of the way. Early and late, when I don't wear the glasses, they are on a lanyard around my neck. I tighten the lanyard and tuck the glasses under my neck warmer. No flash.

I see guys who store their glasses on top of their ball cap. Anything that reflects will spook game. I even have a leather wrapped belt buckle. I spooked a buck a few years ago by glassing into the sun.

I like the brown colored lenses because they tend to enhance the brown and red colors of mule deer legs, elk, and aoudad.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to look into the suggested glasses. I've got a Montana unit 412 bull tag that I've been putting in for for years. Every tiny advantage helps. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Costa with silver sunrise glass lenses. Brightens things up in the shadows or grey days and still works well in the bright sun and snow.

Ive got 2 pair of Leupold Tracer's. I keep the Yellow lens in one and the Gray ones for Bright light. I like the wrap around style as it protects the eye from branches and schrub brush if I have to back up from a spot.

Recent Posts