Suggestions for calibre and platform

One other thing on the night hunting idea. I wasn't sure how to deal with the aspect of night blindness. Looking through that image, my right eye became attuned to that. When I wasn't looking through the scope I was very blind. My peripheral vision was very compromised. How do you deal with that when you got cougars in the back of your mind?
Currently my AR is now being used with a 1-4 AR type scope that I have sited in for 5.56mm. Its the gun I use when running around just doing chores. I have a small side by side and often times, I'll be plowing snow with it or during spring I'll have tools in it and I'm fixing fence or dragging a landscape rake with it. So I keep that short barreled AR in there with me. When I happenstance see a coyote I can take that quick shot. I got a coyote with it once, I saw it way out there just watching me and my neighbor. I said, "There's a coyote"! and I got out the rifle, 'benched' it across the hood of the SxS and quickly hit the button on a range finder I always keep with me. It was 273 yards. I have a CDS dial on that AR. So I clicked it to 2.75 and fired and got it. LOL! Luckily I hit it center amidships right below the chin.
Anyway, I've not been so lucky other times with that same rifle. As in, I hit the coyote and got up and ran, I followed a blood trail for hours and finally got it.
With a short barrel, its not doing well for muzzle energy. Its only 2600 fps at the muzzle.
Anyway, I'd like to keep that scope on that rifle.
The 223 bolt action has a scope on it that I've had on there for years and its solid and I didn't really want to mess with that.
The only rifle I have that I could put a thermal on is an AK variant. It has that side rail that allows for a scope to be attached directly to the receiver and not riding on a stamped cover plate. As AK's go, its accurate. It has a heavy barrel and will print a sub 2" group at 100 yds. Thats if I use a scope and I'm real stable like on a bench.
The problem with scopes mounted like that is the scope height is high from the bore. Like mounting a scope to an AR top carry handle.
With what happened in my original story of the thermal scope, I can't imagine where that horizontal crosshair would be if I'd mounted the scope that high off the bore.
It should be noted here that I don't know a dang thing about thermal imaging scopes. I really don't know what I'm talking about.
As many of you can probly tell! LOL

For coyotes or other wily game at long distances a 26 to 28cal would be a better choice to buck the wind than a 22 to 25cal. Those 135gr 25cal bullets would work.

So the Savage model 110 Precision....
I'm talking about the 110 Precision not the Elite precision. (I noticed in the pics there, the pistol grip on the Elite slants forward and not back, that looks awkward. The 110 precision I'm looking at the pistol grip is slanted backwards, which is like an AR or something like that)

Anyway, anyone on this thread have one?
I looked at the Youtube of the guy from Affordable Optics, he contends its finicky for ammo and the groups I saw him shoot with it didn't look that precision. He shot at plates out to 900 but I couldn't tell how big the plates were to get an idea of the group.
Anyway, he was not impressed that much with the 110 precision's accuracy.

Anyone here have one?
I'd like to hear y'all's opinion on the 100 Precision.

Thanks,
M

Like most rifles that are economical in price they need a little bit of work on them to wring out the most accuracy the chambering, twist rate are factors to consider when looking at bullet performance hand loading as with most rifles tends to help get better accuracy. Matching the bullet weight with the twist rate was key to making mine shoot well, bullet seating depth and velocity checking the chamber with a go no-go gauge and adjusting the barrel helped a lot.

So the Savage model 110 Precision....
I'm talking about the 110 Precision not the Elite precision. (I noticed in the pics there, the pistol grip on the Elite slants forward and not back, that looks awkward. The 110 precision I'm looking at the pistol grip is slanted backwards, which is like an AR or something like that)

Anyway, anyone on this thread have one?
I looked at the Youtube of the guy from Affordable Optics, he contends its finicky for ammo and the groups I saw him shoot with it didn't look that precision. He shot at plates out to 900 but I couldn't tell how big the plates were to get an idea of the group.
Anyway, he was not impressed that much with the 110 precision's accuracy.

Anyone here have one?
I'd like to hear y'all's opinion on the 100 Precision.

Thanks,
M
Yes, the elite is straight as opposed to the AR style precision factory grip. The 3 110's I have are in the AR style grip (2 300wm, 1 338lm).

Like most rifles that are economical in price they need a little bit of work on them to wring out the most accuracy the chambering, twist rate are factors to consider when looking at bullet performance hand loading as with most rifles tends to help get better accuracy. Matching the bullet weight with the twist rate was key to making mine shoot well, bullet seating depth and velocity checking the chamber with a go no-go gauge and adjusting the barrel helped a lot.
Is yours a 6.5 CM?
Did you find out of the box accuracy with any factory ammo?

Get a 6mm of some sort. 6 creed is perfect.

I have creeds in 6 and 6.5, 6.5 prc's. All are good but yotes, a fast 6mm is fun. You can run 224 stuff like a swift but you'll have to get a fast twist barrel to run high bc bullets. Me, I'd just go 6mm.

My primary rifle is a 6.5 prc running 135 a tips for yotes and wolves. It's a good choice but it is really hard to beat a 6mm for what you are doing.
This. Or a fast twist 22 creedmoor. I've heard very good things about the .22 cm with 77 TMK bullets

Not out of the box accuracy and not with factory ammo as accurate as with hand loads but after some work factory ammo was okay.

Good accuracy?
Was it out of the box accurate?
Accuracy was good for the 300wm's with HSM 210 Berger hyb-hnt. Haven't really checked with the 338. It wasn't 0'd in, only laser bored, but good enough to get 40 rounds on a torso sized plate at 200 yards in 40 mph cross winds with IMI ammo using 250smk's (factory ammo).