Suggestions for calibre and platform

MKP777

Hi,
I want to hunt coyotes that are after my chickens and I need more range than my .223 is giving me. I see them out as far as 940 yards. In daylight they have gotten too wise to get in close. But there is opportunity for some long shots. Typically I'd probly be shooting downwards into a canyon from about 350 to 700 yards. But I see them further sometimes and having the capability to get out to 900 would be good. I can set a gong out there and practice until I get use the the longer distance.
I've been looking into 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC.
But also I'm looking for suggestions.
Like rifling, what should I look for? Whats a good twist for those distances?
I understand rifle twist applications for .223 and 5.56 but the 6.5 category is new to me.
Thanks for any suggestions,
M

The PRC beats the CM in every aspect IMHO. I recently jumped on the 6.5prc bandwagon and its shocking how easy this thing is to shoot. I have always been a 308 supporter but the prc is just better. You could also look at the 224 Valkyrie if you want to stay in the .224 projectile realm

Simple. All you need is 22

Attachments

• 20230203_212705.jpg
    20230203_212705.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
My personal preference is still the 6.5x284 Norma built on an F class Savage action with a 1;9 twist 26-inch heavy barrel running 120 Nosler ballistic tips with a good Mc Millen stock or similar stock. The factory loads from Nosler, and Norma tend to run high in accuracy for mine but if you are a reloader fire formed cases neck sized and running Hodgdon H4831SC seating your bullets to your chamber preferences works well. It's all in just enjoying what you are doing.

It is more available because of the popularity of the CM and the larger number of people shooting it at this time. If the PRC or the 6.5x284 had the larger numbers of people shooting them they would have more factory loadings offered also, it is supply and demand the more demand the larger the supply becomes. The PRC and 6.5x284 are more of a specialty round than the 6.5 CM, kind of like the 308 and the 7mm08.

The 6.5 CM will do the job, but the 6.5 PRC will be roughly 200 FPS faster, which better for long range. It will be better in the wind and a little flatter shooting. The 6.5 CM has a little longer barrel life. Inside 500 yards you will not be able to tell much difference on coyotes. If you do not hand load ammo, the 6.5 CM is more readily available and less expensive to purchase.

Get a 6mm of some sort. 6 creed is perfect.

I have creeds in 6 and 6.5, 6.5 prc's. All are good but yotes, a fast 6mm is fun. You can run 224 stuff like a swift but you'll have to get a fast twist barrel to run high bc bullets. Me, I'd just go 6mm.

My primary rifle is a 6.5 prc running 135 a tips for yotes and wolves. It's a good choice but it is really hard to beat a 6mm for what you are doing.

Last edited:
I have multiple in each caliber and like them both. You'll burn your barrel out much quicker on the 6.5 PRC so if that's part of your consideration that is a real factor. 200 feet per second will be significant in the wind at over 600 ish yards or so. 8" twist is fine in either of them. Commercial ammo is significantly in the favor of the Creedmoor. If you're hand loading it doesn't matter but H4350 (what I shoot in all four Creedmoor cartridges) is much more available than than the RL26 I shoot in my 6.5 PRCs so that might swing your vote as well though there are several other powders to decide.

Ultimately you could choose either and a 900 yard shot on a coyote for someone that is not used to that range in bad conditions (wind/quick setup shot/up or down hill etc) is going to be unlikely percentage wise regardless which cartridge.

There is nothing wrong with a 6.5 CM and there is nothing wrong with a PRC. If you're only going to have one gun it makes the decision a lot harder but the recoil will be noticeably stiffer on the PRC if that's an issue. I've found that in all of the creedmoors H4350 is absolutely hitting the easy button and somewhere around 41.5 g is an absolutely great load (in all but the 22CM) depending on projectile. So much so that it's almost boring during load dev.

The PRC will buck the wind a fair amount better but you can make hits at 900 with either of them if you can read conditions. Good luck on your decision.

Personally if I was going to have one gun which I was going to shoot a lot of I wouldn't choose the PRC even though I have several of them and love the cartridge.

I have multiple in each caliber and like them both. You'll burn your barrel out much quicker on the 6.5 PRC so if that's part of your consideration that is a real factor. 200 feet per second will be significant in the wind at over 600 ish yards or so. 8" twist is fine in either of them. Commercial ammo is significantly in the favor of the Creedmoor. If you're hand loading it doesn't matter but H4350 (what I shoot in all four Creedmoor cartridges) is much more available than than the RL26 I shoot in my 6.5 PRCs so that might swing your vote as well though there are several other powders to decide.

Ultimately you could choose either and a 900 yard shot on a coyote for someone that is not used to that range in bad conditions (wind/quick setup shot/up or down hill etc) is going to be unlikely percentage wise regardless which cartridge.

There is nothing wrong with a 6.5 CM and there is nothing wrong with a PRC. If you're only going to have one gun it makes the decision a lot harder but the recoil will be noticeably stiffer on the PRC if that's an issue. I've found that in all of the creedmoors H4350 is absolutely hitting the easy button and somewhere around 41.5 g is an absolutely great load (in all but the 22CM) depending on projectile. So much so that it's almost boring during load dev.

The PRC will buck the wind a fair amount better but you can make hits at 900 with either of them if you can read conditions. Good luck on your decision.

Personally if I was going to have one gun which I was going to shoot a lot of I wouldn't choose the PRC even though I have several of them and love the cartridge.
I came out here to get away from the city life. I wanted to be near nature and I liked seeing all the wildlife. It is very rural. The sellers of the home left chickens behind. I didn't know a dang thing about raising chickens and told the realtor to get them out of here. No response, so I was stuck with them. I studied about it and found out they're pretty easy to raise. Also, they eat all the bugs in the yard. No pesticides needed. So we got more of them and raised them up from chicks. They follow us around, eat out of our hands and the eggs they produce are the best I ever had. Chickens are a lot smarter than they get credit for. I see them cooperatively hunt insects. They know to stay away from rattlesnakes. The first time I saw a coyote running off with a chicken in its jaws a certain sort of deep anger moved through me. I could see the chicken still looking at me. I felt like an utter failure. I started using a shotgun and that worked once. After that they came in more stealthy. Daylight attacks and often several coyotes at once. When I got out of the Army I promised myself, no more camo ever. But then there I was, with camo on, laying in the weeds waiting. Some days I've waited for hours. I have experimented with a coyote call from Foxpro. The rifle I have is a 26" barrel, 223 Remington 700 PSS. Pretty accurate but only for about 300 to 500.
I once sat in the weeds leaned against a small tree with camo netting over me. I had local grass tied in with it and built a gillie suit sort of, for my head. I waited for hours. I switched the call to rabbit distress and waited for a while. I saw something move out the corner of my eye. 10 feet to my left was a coyote watching my decoy move. I went for my pistol quiet as I could. I got the pistol leveled onto the coyote but with a very very awkward hold across my body and when I moved the safety off, it looked to its right and saw me. I fired. It went down and then got up and ran like a greyhound.
Coyotes never made that mistake again. They now stay out further. I see their tracks in the snow visiting the coop at night but they aint' got into it yet. They will never stop. I've tried security lights, barbed wire, motion sensors. Diplomacy has failed. I still love nature and all the wildlife. Just not coyotes and rats. Rats have been an issue too. But that is a short range, night time hunting issue.
I like the info I've gotten here but the words about barrel wear and ammo availability are big factors for me. I think the Creedmore might be more economical for me. When I have a rifle, I fire quite a bit. Its all about trigger time.
My neck has an injury and I can't shoot prone anymore. So I have to somehow do it seated. I've sat out there sometimes so long, I've seen a rattlesnake crawl right by me. I've had a hawk come down and land next to me until it finally noticed me and was outta there.
Shooting from a seated position is an issue. I'm more visible that way but mostly its my hold. Its not nearly as steady as prone shooting. From prone I was rock solid. This is a permanent injury and won't go away.
So it is me that must adjust. I just haven't found a way to have a good solid hold when not shooting prone.
Thanks again to all that has helped me with this advice. I sure appreciate it.