Stone Glacier 6900

Just got my talus in the mail few days ago. Going to try and break it in this weekend... My first impression is holy crap this thing is light!!!!

I have packed out a couple with mine, though I don't have the 6900 but it has the same frame. It can haul a load. This year I carried a hind quarter, a weekend's worth of gear and the head all in one load, over some really rugged terrain. I still haven't recovered but the pack is fine.

I did a gob of research before buying my current pack and had it narrowed down to either SG or Kifaru. Both had rave reviews and devout followers. I went with Kifaru because their bags were in camo, offered lots of accessories, and great reviews on how comfortable the belt was. I don't think you can go wrong with SG!

I had an sg sky talus and traded it off. Never hauled meat in it, but it just wasn't comfortable. I guess my back shape and the shape of the frame did not agree. Other than that, I thought the bag was laid out great.

I used my 6900 Sky Talus on a sheep hunt and ended up packing out 12 miles @ 83# to get to our extraction point. Throughout the packout I tried different tensions between the shoulder straps and the belt, but my back was definitely hurting no matter how I had it, and I had trouble keeping it up on my hips, but it was my only backpack hunt so far, so I don't know if the issue was me not knowing what I am doing, not having much of a rear to keep it on, or what. Maybe all packouts are like that.

I have a 3300 and an avail. Have used the 3300 with the extra top for back country elk and the the first trip out isn't the best. That said your soo excited you have an animal to pack out you don't really notice until you reflect back.

The avail is sweet for day trip scouting for elk and packing out a deer.

I'm looking for something like the 6900 for next year.

I sold all my kuiu after a 5 day back country trip. Pack weight was 48lbs and was miserable the entire time.

Last edited:
That's what I'm using. Works very well. Expands out to carry a big load for a backpacking-in type situation. Compresses down for a good daypack. Is a comfortable hunter and goes mostly unnoticed while hunting. Load shelf is fine but IMO, not ideal for carrying a Buick out on. That's probably a good thing. Straps hold they meatbags in and they want to squish out from the straps but it never proved to be a problem. Like a lot of these newer packs, it has straps and buckles for days. Might be a good thing to re-acquaint yourself with their function before needing them in the dark. Shoulder straps are highly adjustable and I can't imagine anybody not being able to fit them to their own body type. I have no plans to upgrade from this pack.

93188F95-95E2-4EEF-A151-7B2C790E5722.jpeg I run the EXO Mountain K3 4800. It can haul a weeks worth of gear and however much meat you think you can handle. Super plush. If I didn't run exo stone glacier would be the only option for me.

Attachments

• F2A34D2C-4160-4DEF-ABAB-2A6FBF609A6F.jpeg
    F2A34D2C-4160-4DEF-ABAB-2A6FBF609A6F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 76
I am currently using the SG Sky 6900. I have packed out many elk this season with it ( 6 so far). The pic below is two rears boned out and my bow on the back, about 150lbs from pack scale. The pack has done well for me. I had one instance where I had a meat bag slip out but it was my error on not setting it properly in the shelf.
20190903_191911.jpg

I've been using the SG 5900 since they came out, used packing out both deer and elk and have been very happy with the pack.

I would go with the largest bag available! You can always cinch down a larger bag but if your bag isn't big enough to pack out capes, meat, and camp you may be somewhat screwed! I often use the biggest Kifaru bag available for elk/moose sized game or extended trips such as dall sheep or mtn goat. Life-sized capes plus boned meat take up a heck of a lot of room....same thing with a boned out elk plus camp! It may save you a trip....or 2?