Backcountry Camping Advice (YellowStone N.P., Grand Teton N.P., Glacier N.P.)

I have hunted Wyoming and Utah over the years for antelope, mule deer and Elk. I always carry a large bore revolver in a handy holster. Years ago, before one could legally carry in Yellowstone, my sons and I manage to get between a sow black bear and her cubs. It was a close call but we remained calm and she only offered a couple bluff charges until she retreated. I have had close encounters with a couple grizzlys in Wyoming up around the park. Be mindful of possibilities and make plenty of noise while hiking if possible. I have a friend who had to kill a grizzly up in Alaska a few years ago. He was salmon fishing and a young male charged him several times in bluff charges before he came in for the attack. He had to fire three times to stop the charge. The bear died about 6 feet from him. His gun of choice was a short barreled 12 gauge pump with slugs. He was delayed a couple days waiting on the fish and game department to investigate and clear him of any charges. Luckily he had a couple witnesses. Many years ago, I purchased a 454 Casull revolver for carry in bear country. The guy I purchased the gun from was a landowner up in bear country in Montana. After a close call with a grizzly, he sold me the gun so he could purchase a bigger gun.
Beautiful country! Enjoy and be safe!

'By Rights' any American citizen(not including felons) do have the right to carry a firearm in just about any place within the US borders....it is call the 2nd Amendment....
In Oregon the fish and game had not considered this when they made their rules for hunting...which a few years ago had to be retracted because the state attorney general stepped in and said they had no right to tell someone that because they we're bowhunting elk or deer, in a unit where bear and cougar were also open, that the person could not carry the firearm to hunt bear and cougar because that person still has the right for self preservation.....the fish and game rewrote the rules simply stating that the animal you were hunting had to be taken by the weapon that the season dictated....
So basically....by oregon statutes now written you can fight any court case to keep and bear arms practically anywhere...

pepper spray does not work because people panic most times.same with a firearm you have to tell yourself many times over what you will do when that time comes if it does.

This is not true, as is not true that bear bells do not work. If anyone is worried about panicking, then forget about being accurate with a sidearm. Ask the guy that was charged and killed after taking pix of a sow cubs, and then didn't even have time to remove his sidearm from the holster. Awareness will get you further than any plan for what do to when being unaware. I have a friend that lives, works and hikes deep into in Yellowstone, now for 29 years, and all he uses are bells and spray.

As long as the attacking Bear is courteous enough to attack from down wind, spray works. The wind doesn't effect my 4" .500 S&W or the 375 gr Barnes XPBs that it spits out. I'll go with Smith

If you want a remote area without a lot of crowds, try the Shoshone Lake trail. Its in the southwest corner of Yellowstone, about 11 Miles in, and beautiful country.
Firearms are forbidden in all National Parks, so definitely keep this plan to yourself.
The pistol you are going to carry should do the job.
I went in this same trail many years ago with a group of Boy Scouts. We stopped on a sandbar in a creek about halfway in, and when I went to the upstream end of the sandbar, there were several HUGE grizzly prints there with the water still running back in them.
We never saw a bear, but were very careful about not eating or having food within 100 feet of our tents, and not allowing things like chap stick or toothpaste to end up in the tents. Evidently, "scout" was not on the menu.
We saw elk, mule deer, a badger, eagles, osprey fishing in the lake, al sorts of stuff. And lots of footprints, bear poop, both black and grizzly. The bears probably saw us, but we never saw them.

Thank you!

Thanks again to those contributing to the OP.

Side note- I am very aware of the legalities.

I would really appreciate if this post would not turn into a political debate or a suggestion on what handgun is the 100%of the time answer for a charging bear DRT.. I have plenty of options to choose, but at the upper end of my collection, the 44 mag is what I am most comfortable with.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Maybe this sign will say it all for bells and pepper spray?

Attachments

• grizzly_bear_warning_sign.jpg
    grizzly_bear_warning_sign.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 137
I can recommend a couple of good steak houses if you come into the North Yellowstone Entrance via Gardiner Montana:
"Cowboys" is right at the bridge over Yellowstone River in town, or
"Yellowstone Mine" on the main road into Gardiner (next to the Best Western).
Great Ribeyes at both.
Have a great trip and let us know hope it goes.

Thank you for your response. I understand there is an increasing rate of bear attacks in those areas. Nonetheless, her and I have discussed having herself armed as well. Right now, the deciding factor is her proficiency with a sidearm.

If she lacks proficiency, she could beat it to death with a pistol, better than with a stick. (sarcasm) Push comes to shove, a novice with a pistol stands a much better chance than one with none. Play it safe.

I will be heading up Big sandy trail to the Cirque of the Towers and to attempt an summit of Temple Peak at 12,977' this will be July 31st to Aug 2nd. I will be by myself as I do not have anyone to go with me and would gladly enjoy some company. This hike ad climbe is located in the Bridger Wilderness just a few miles south of Pinedale Wyoming. Send me a message if you would like to join up for a hike and summit.

Buy two boxes of 320 gr Buffalo Bore hardcast bullets for your 44 Mag. They have some kick but nothing to fret about. Practice getting a proper grip on your 44 with dry firing. Then shoot one box at targets between 20-40 yards to get the feel of live firing the rounds at Bear Attack distances. Take the other box on your adventure and keep it at the ready. Congress passed and Obama signed a law allowing arms in National Parks. And no, I'm not getting political, just exposing the truth. Have a great time. The Wyoming, Idaho, Montana Area is awe inspiring.

This summer I am driving out west with my partner to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, and Grand Teton National Park. We will be out there from late July to Mid August. Her and I both like the idea of spending time in the backcountry as well as checking out the small towns and city life. I'm posting here to see if you may have advice/recommendations for us about backcountry hikes/camping spots in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, or Glacier.

• We are looking to spend 1-2 nights in the backcountry per park.
  • We are looking for really scenic areas to camp and areas that are off the beaten path, but are open to sharing views with others!
  • We are both in great shape and are experienced backpackers so a 15+ mile day is not off limits, but I'd like to keep the mileage to 8 miles/day and under. Short treks are welcome as well!
  • We both understand we will be in bear country and have camped in bear country before, but not Grizzly Country. We will both be packing bear spray and I'll be packing a 44mag w/ 340gr Buffalo Bore hardcast loads.
Also, if you have a recommendation on places to grab a bite to eat, places to visit, etc. Please feel free to share.

Thanks in advance!

Brandon
A bear's nose will tell it what you had for breakfast yesterday, eat and pack your food wisely.
Any reason she is not carrying a weapon? Better odds, those bear are not your friends.
I haven't been there for 40 or so years, my memory is short except that I remember great trails, dumb fish and a great time. Enjoy and be safe.

Heading out to Glacier at the beginning of August. My in-laws are from Montana and are planning out the back country hikes for everyone. That side of the family have lived in Kalispell and have hiked all over Glacier and the Bob for over 40 years. I find it mind boggling that I'm the only one who always packs a gun while we're out there. This year I'll wear my .44 in my chest rig and loan my 10mm and .357 to my brother-in-laws.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts