Special needs hunter help?

Bog Pod Death Grip in Carbon Fiber , and go to the range an practice shooting off the tri pod , a lot !! If you could shoot between 150 and 200 rounds prior to the hunt, it will be helpful once on the hunt. I agree with the Antelope hunt suggestion. Some aeras even allow for a portable decoy that seem to get the antelope interested. You are one Hell of guy!! Well done sir!!

My daughter is wheelchair bound and uses a Trackchair for her hunting and fishing adventures, but it doesn't sound like your wife may need one for her mobility issues. A vacuum air actuator may be of use (beadaptive.com). The control box can be velcroed to the rifle stock so she can suck on the vacuum tube to fire the rifle when she is ready (takes away finger jerk or hand mobility issues out of the equation).

Let me know if I can help direct you in the direction of possible answers if you have questions. Each mobility issue is different so there are different ways to pull it off. I have to aim for my daughter and my wife has to help her with the safety and vacuum tube, while she watches all action on a tablet mounted in front of her; the scope mounted Tactacam sends the live view to the tablet no matter the angle or conditions where she can't turn to see. She's killed antelope, mule deer, elk, whitetail, aoudad, turkeys, and axis with rifle, crossbow, and shotgun, so we've worked out a system that works for her.

You'll come up with a system that works for her, and she'll have a great experience no matter what this fall. As I say for special needs hunters, the trophy is the experience.

Wow! I knew you were all an amazing bunch but it still catches me of guard!.

So it looks like an amazing opportunity may be in the works to get her in an area where she can set up and wait with minimal moving around which is going to be perfect.

A tripod that she can sit and shoot from is going to happen as soon as I gather up enough scratch to buy one.

I have a 13 year old daughter that took up hunting two years ago and is now a hunting fiend. Now she wants to be a wildlife photographer. I'm going to try to come up with some affordable equipment so she can document mom's hunt. With a little luck you will have lots of pictures and somebody might even have to teach me how to share some video with all of you.

Thank you so much for all of your responses.

My daughter is wheelchair bound and uses a Trackchair for her hunting and fishing adventures, but it doesn't sound like your wife may need one for her mobility issues. A vacuum air actuator may be of use (beadaptive.com). The control box can be velcroed to the rifle stock so she can suck on the vacuum tube to fire the rifle when she is ready (takes away finger jerk or hand mobility issues out of the equation).

Let me know if I can help direct you in the direction of possible answers if you have questions. Each mobility issue is different so there are different ways to pull it off. I have to aim for my daughter and my wife has to help her with the safety and vacuum tube, while she watches all action on a tablet mounted in front of her; the scope mounted Tactacam sends the live view to the tablet no matter the angle or conditions where she can't turn to see. She's killed antelope, mule deer, elk, whitetail, aoudad, turkeys, and axis with rifle, crossbow, and shotgun, so we've worked out a system that works for her.

You'll come up with a system that works for her, and she'll have a great experience no matter what this fall. As I say for special needs hunters, the trophy is the experience.
Burnside: it sounds like you have provided your daughter with MANY wonderful hunting memories.
If you don't have easy access for whitetail hunting, PM me. I own property in Creek County with lots of deer, just not trophy bucks.

That's an amazing success story. Thank you for sharing.

My wife is the toughest person I know. She can walk well enough just not for miles and not on real steep terrain. If the pressure starts to build in her head then we're done.

Burnside: it sounds like you have provided your daughter with MANY wonderful hunting memories.
If you don't have easy access for whitetail hunting, PM me. I own property in Creek County with lots of deer, just not trophy bucks.
We actually live on 80 acres north of Talala. No big bucks, but a 2 1/2 year old buck is a trophy for her! Thanks for the offer!

It doesn't sound like you need this right away, but I see it being set up with a rest to make it easier for her too?

(way less $ than many others out there too)

Totally agree with trekking poles. I have some serious back and leg issues due to nerve damage and I've used poles for years to help with balance. I had a $$$ set of black diamond poles and took a tumble with them on some pretty steep and rocky terrain and bent one to un-useable, have a cheap Walmart set that are still going strong. Also have a bog death grip that is great for steady shooting from sitting positions. You are a man to be commended for the love and dedication you have shown for your family!

My wife fell in love with hunting when we first got together in 2012. Shortly after we got married she started having health problems. Very long story short she's had 6 major brain surgeries, her second shoulder replacement, and a foot surgery or two. Now at 40 years old she wants to finally shoot a big game animal. We're talking general season deer in Montana. She can walk but not real far or over real rough terrain. My season this year is going to be dedicated to making this happen for her.

What I'd like from you all is any advice from people that are or have hunted with similar hunters. Tell me about equipment that was beneficial, bipods, tripods, rests. Anything you can offer up will be appreciated.

We will only have access to public and block management land. I'm going to try and get signed up on some block management with some roads for the first few days of season but as the animals get more cagey chances of success go down. Any thoughts, techniques or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm rambling.
Is her walking limitation because of permanent damage or can she build up her stamina with daily walks, each week a little longer and possibly over rougher terrain? Gradual, prior to the season so that she has toughened up.
Mike

Is her walking limitation because of permanent damage or can she build up her stamina with daily walks, each week a little longer and possibly over rougher terrain? Gradual, prior to the season so that she has toughened up.
Mike
When she was in her early 20's she got meningitis and almost died. It damaged the part of her brain that produces the fluid around the brain and in the spinal column. Her body makes too much of it. She has a shunt that relieve the pressure enough to avoid damage to her optic nerve and hearing but it's still at an uncomfortable side of normal. Think sever migraine. If they reduce the pressure too much it collapses the ventricle around the shunt and plugs it off.

If she over exerts herself she gets nauseous, losses her equilibrium it messes with her eyesight. To answer your question we don't really know if things will improve with conditioning. Right now we just get what we get and try and make do.

I helped with some disabled veterans hunts a few years ago and that was some of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. My son helps every year with hunts for kids with terminal cancer and we use the death grip bog pod. If having to walk definitely trekking poles. Will be praying for a successful hunt and may God bless you for your love and dedication to your wife.

My wife fell in love with hunting when we first got together in 2012. Shortly after we got married she started having health problems. Very long story short she's had 6 major brain surgeries, her second shoulder replacement, and a foot surgery or two. Now at 40 years old she wants to finally shoot a big game animal. We're talking general season deer in Montana. She can walk but not real far or over real rough terrain. My season this year is going to be dedicated to making this happen for her.

What I'd like from you all is any advice from people that are or have hunted with similar hunters. Tell me about equipment that was beneficial, bipods, tripods, rests. Anything you can offer up will be appreciated.

We will only have access to public and block management land. I'm going to try and get signed up on some block management with some roads for the first few days of season but as the animals get more cagey chances of success go down. Any thoughts, techniques or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm rambling.

Check this out for some help in Montana

This is a great solution for people with limited ability to walk in the outdoors. I realize this is in Wisconsin and I don't know where the OP is from but there may be services like this available