Special needs hunter help?

HNDLDR

My wife fell in love with hunting when we first got together in 2012. Shortly after we got married she started having health problems. Very long story short she's had 6 major brain surgeries, her second shoulder replacement, and a foot surgery or two. Now at 40 years old she wants to finally shoot a big game animal. We're talking general season deer in Montana. She can walk but not real far or over real rough terrain. My season this year is going to be dedicated to making this happen for her.

What I'd like from you all is any advice from people that are or have hunted with similar hunters. Tell me about equipment that was beneficial, bipods, tripods, rests. Anything you can offer up will be appreciated.

We will only have access to public and block management land. I'm going to try and get signed up on some block management with some roads for the first few days of season but as the animals get more cagey chances of success go down. Any thoughts, techniques or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm rambling.

Never been in your situation. I would think extending her shooting range would be the most helpful. If she could shoot 500 plus and be accurate you could cover a lot of ground with glass.
Her rifle is accurate enough. Her cartridge of choice is the 7mm-08. My daughter actually took her first deer at 409 yards with moms rifle. Getting her out practicing to be proficient at those ranges is a whole different challenge. I'd like to stay in the 400 yard range if we could but you're right, longer ranges could give us more opportunities. I see all these new shooting rests people are using and didn't know if it would be worth investing in something like that to help her be more stable. And of course as much practice as possible.

Her rifle is accurate enough. Her cartridge of choice is the 7mm-08. My daughter actually took her first deer at 409 yards with moms rifle. Getting her out practicing to be proficient at those ranges is a whole different challenge. I'd like to stay in the 400 yard range if we could but you're right, longer ranges could give us more opportunities. I see all these new shooting rests people are using and didn't know if it would be worth investing in something like that to help her be more stable. And of course as much practice as possible.
An Antelope hunt offers the greatest opportunity for you, in my opinion. The hunt can be as easy or as hard as you want to make. Here in Wyoming, a disabled hunter can easily get a permit to shoot from a vehicle. Don't know about MT. This approach won't likely put you on a trophy grade buck, but it sounds to me that any successful kill will be a major trophy under the circumstances.

An Antelope hunt offers the greatest opportunity for you, in my opinion. The hunt can be as easy or as hard as you want to make. Here in Wyoming, a disabled hunter can easily get a permit to shoot from a vehicle. Don't know about MT. This approach won't likely put you on a trophy grade buck, but it sounds to me that any successful kill will be a major trophy under the circumstances.
I'm hoping to get her lost hunter's safety certificate replaced in time to put in for Montana's antelope draw.

A good tripod and foldable chair would make a world of difference if getting low can be a problem. I hunted northern MT with a buddy last year and due to -18 degree Temps we chose to road hunt one morning. Caught a few deer crossing out of the drainages. Fair amount of pressure in the area but nothing crazy. Just my little 2c wish I had more.

My wife fell in love with hunting when we first got together in 2012. Shortly after we got married she started having health problems. Very long story short she's had 6 major brain surgeries, her second shoulder replacement, and a foot surgery or two. Now at 40 years old she wants to finally shoot a big game animal. We're talking general season deer in Montana. She can walk but not real far or over real rough terrain. My season this year is going to be dedicated to making this happen for her.

What I'd like from you all is any advice from people that are or have hunted with similar hunters. Tell me about equipment that was beneficial, bipods, tripods, rests. Anything you can offer up will be appreciated.

We will only have access to public and block management land. I'm going to try and get signed up on some block management with some roads for the first few days of season but as the animals get more cagey chances of success go down. Any thoughts, techniques or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm rambling.
You are a faithful and unselfish husband. My hats off to you. Wish we were closer to help, but will pray for success. 🙏😇

I would highly recommend a BogPod Deathgrip for a tripod. Will hold the gun without much effort and super stable.
Good luck to her and to you, please let us know how the season turns out. Looking forward to a hunting report!

I never have used them but I hear a lot of people theat use trekking poles feel they make navigating over terrain easier. I guess because the poles help with balance they save a lot of energy.
Hoping for the best for both of you.
That is a great thought. Her brain issues cause a lot of balance problems sometimes.