South Carolina piggies

LOL! Yeah, that was something I had a hard time adjusting to when I came down here. All my experience told me that deer don't move much without getting pushed unless it is below freezing. Below 0°F is even better. The season is half over before it's cool enough to get me out into the woods.

I guess these southern deer just don't know that.
Dude, cold breeds big deer. That's the only thing I'm envious of. We have rather small white tails by comparison to the rest of the country.

Have you tried a Thermocell? Walmart has them & it's the best $10.00 you'll ever sped.
I was in SC last August 15 for deer opener trying for a velvet Buck. No luck for me but that Themacell was the ****. It saved you in the stand. Without it SLOW DEATH. I turned mine off as I thought I was being picked up and was wrong and couldn't turn it back on. Well when they did get to me 15 minutes later they saw me running around the field. They were ***. Laughing their azzes off. I told them I couldn't get my cell on and they understood. You will do anything to not be taken that way. Hope you get the picture.

Thermacell is worth its weight in Gold

Dude, cold breeds big deer. That's the only thing I'm envious of. We have rather small white tails by comparison to the rest of the country.

Yeah, making up for size must be why we get fifteen tags! :)

It's a good thing because I sold my -40°F parka and boots to a guy who moved to Maine. I'm not sure what to do with the snowshoes yet. They'll probably end up as part of a mount with the moose antlers.

Thermacell is the best thing since sliced bread.
We are not as fortunate as SC here in GA...we get 10 antler less and 2 antlered tags

No thanks. That sounds miserable. If you'd like to compare weather, come visit us in August. We can walk the Francis Marion National Forest. It'll only be 105ish degrees with a heat index of 120 coupled with 90%relative humidity.
Come play. Bring snake boots.
Yuk on the humidity. I don't mind the heat its the humidity that sucks.

I'd say the best bet would be in edgefield/Aiken area. Not too terribly far from there. Lots of farms and the pigs have made it known that they don't mind the cold up there.
My hunting club has booked some spots with Collins Low Country Hunt Club in Ehrhardt, SC for hogs and deer. Does anyone know what the hog situation is like in that area?

I hunt public land mostly in SC. I live in Simpsonville and enjoy Union county Sumpter NF and the land around lake jocassee. I have never seen a pig in Union the last 15 years. I do run across them all around lake jocassee. I saw some last weekend at fants Grove. I think fants is Archery only. I was teaching land nav to army reservists and we bumped pigs and deer in mid morning. I killed 3 in Alabama with a 356 win few months back and really want to get on them here closer to home. I want to cook some small ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.