South’s Dakota ??

joko111

Anybody here from sd? I'm heading there in august to hunt with a great friend of mine, he is currently living in deadwood, what are some good hunting opportunities that time of year? Figure I'm going to buy the varmint/predator license and try to take some coyote and prairie dogs, how do you go about finding land to hunt on? Here In Maryland I pretty much knock on farmers doors and I've had some good luck doing it that way

Anybody here from sd? I'm heading there in august to hunt with a great friend of mine, he is currently living in deadwood, what are some good hunting opportunities that time of year? Figure I'm going to buy the varmint/predator license and try to take some coyote and prairie dogs, how do you go about finding land to hunt on? Here In Maryland I pretty much knock on farmers doors and I've had some good luck doing it that way
Most places now in SD are pay to play, we used to hunt pheasants near Armour for years, all of a sudden it became $250 a day, then $350 before I packed it in.Good luck.

Most places now in SD are pay to play, we used to hunt pheasants near Armour for years, all of a sudden it became $250 a day, then $350 before I packed it in.Good luck.
Wow that's a shame, his boss owns a pretty large sorting facility and has some pasture he's going to let us hunt, I'll have to see how that goes

Wow that's a shame, his boss owns a pretty large sorting facility and has some pasture he's going to let us hunt, I'll have to see how that goes
Then your in, just telling you of my experience, I'm going in the fall, but my son in laws paying, cardiothoracic surgeon, he can afford about anything .

You can find places to shoot prairie dogs but it takes some work. Tracking down ranchers who have pd's can be time consuming but many will allow shooting. This is something your friend should have already been doing if you have a tight schedule.
There are prairie dogs on public lands as well. It takes some work to find good spots to shoot.
The Indian reservations have some excellent shooting opportunities but you have to buy their license and follow their rules.
Good luck and please enjoy our great state when you visit.