Smoking Sunday or Sunday Smoking

60F89452-8F49-464C-983F-114DC7FD0A73.jpeg

Honestly not that great, fatty and a bit chewy. Seasoning was good. Wouldn't buy again. Potatoes were awesome.

View attachment 453310
Honestly not that great, fatty and a bit chewy. Seasoning was good. Wouldn't buy again. Potatoes were awesome.
I have tried preseasoned roasts a couple times. Never a tri tip, but didn't have great luck either. I read something on a BBQ site that said they use something like a brine for most of the preseasoned beef roasts so the fact they basically soak in the salt, makes them not great for smoking.

View attachment 453310
I would try a local butcher. And do your own seasoning. Tell the butcher what you are doing with the meat. In my area a lot of them do their own smoking. And are willing to share helpful ideas. Seasonings or whatnot.

View attachment 453310
everyone has their own preferences but I've made a lot of tri tip on a smoker. My favorite is to smoke on low (under 200) temp until internal is about 100-110. Take it off and sear it in a carbon or cast pan with butter and deglaze with a little worchester sauce the last minute. Rest in foil. Finished at 135-140.