Sleeping bag at Cabela's/BPS that is good?

I have a 15° Marmot sawtooth that is pretty good, use a liner to protect bag and add warmth plus insulated mattress under. Has been good to 30 or so but below that feet get chilly. I've been considering a 0° bag from blackovis called the chugach(?). Combo down and synthetic that show up on camofire frequently for about 150. I have canvas tent with wood stove now

Good or cheap. Pick one. Those two are not the same.

I would go ahead and get a 0 degree. Better to be too warm and unzip than be freezing, trust me. Buy a good bag (Big Agnes/Marmot/Mountain Hardwear etc) and be done with it. Expect to spend about $250 but a good bag will last you 10 years. That's one thing i wouldn't cheap out on.

Good or cheap. Pick one. Those two are not the same.

I would go ahead and get a 0 degree. Better to be too warm and unzip than be freezing, trust me. Buy a goo bag (Big Agnes/Marmot/Mountain Hardwear etc) and be done with it. Expect to spend about $250 but a good bag will last you 10 years. That's one thing i wouldn't cheap out on.
Make sure you do not sleep with clothes on! Put in bottom of bag if need be. Second, make sure to open bag up to dry out during the day.

And don't forget an insulated pad underneath. There's a lot of cold below you that will come right through the bottom of the best sleeping bag. a foam pad under you will stop that.

Make sure you do not sleep with clothes on! Put in bottom of bag if need be. Second, make sure to open bag up to dry out during the day.

I would disagree. We all take warming layers. Those can be used to boost the warming rating on a bag. You can get away with a lighter bag and use your puffies in it with you. No sense carrying the gear and not utilize it.

These are bulky and do not pack down well, but they are warm. Synthetics, so they are bulky and not as warm as down, but neither is the price. Problem with buying a used synthetic is you can't determine how it was stored. Used military bags are probably stored in the cinch pack, thus loosing fill properties.

Last edited:
I wear some wool long underwear to sleep in, different than what I wear while hunting, and heavy weight wool socks.

When we were kids in the Boy Scouts, they told us to strip down to our tighty whiteys before getting into the bag. Back then we wore cotton, which stays wet a long time. Now we have fleece, and it is a game changer. I wear fleece longjohns and top to bed. It makes it much nicer when I have to get up to pee in the middle of the night.

The Korean era military feather bags had instructions on them. They said to wear your wet clothes to bed so they would dry. It is going to be colder in the morning, and if you have wet clothes, it makes sense to have them dry by morning. I've tried it, and it does work, but most trips I have a wood stove and extra clothes.

Ledge Sports out of Toole, UT makes affordable, warm bags. They're not light, though. That said, a night of freezing your arse off is a lot harder than hauling the extra weight of a heavier bag.
And don't forget an insulated pad underneath. There's a lot of cold below you that will come right through the bottom of the best sleeping bag. a foam pad under you will stop that.
Look at the R rating of an insulated pad.

You can take 2 bags of different temperature ratings put one inside the other and put a space blanket between the two. I'd also recommend an insulated mil surplus ground cover. Never been below but have been close to zero and had to Crack the outer bag.

Here is one for $109.00. Looks pretty decent .

Car camping? Poly. Easy enough to bring a pad in the car too. Cheap.
Backpacking? Goose down, no sewn thru seams. Pad is mandatory with down as it compresses underneath. Not going to be cheap though. Poly might still be a choice if it is going to be wet.
Cotton is useless when it gets wet.

Recent Posts