Semi or O/U

Lots of great info to think over. After reading everything I think I should probably just focus on myself for now. When I build custom rifles for people, I usually fit them to the person so why wouldn't I do that in this case. I can order whatever I want from the distributers, so I'll have to just go in to Scheels and test a bunch out for fit and feel. I think I will lean towards a Nicer O/U for myself.

I have been wanting one for years and figured when I got one I would spend some money on one. If I can keep it under that $2k range (my cost) I think that's what I'll go for.

I notice a ton of 0/U are 28", is that a pretty common length for a good field gun and they handle well? I still plan to stick with a 20 gauge as well.
28" gives great flexibility with what ever you shoot. In thick stuff and shorter barrel is best, in open areas can take a longer barrel. When you make your decision pattern your shot with cardboard targets so you know what the gun does with what choke is in it.

If you shoot like me you better have 3!
last day bird 2019.jpg

My son and daughter prefer our over/unders. They're easier to operate but more importantly- they're easier to clean AND they didn't have to run around picking up hulls.

I'm a stickler on both but more so picking up spent hulls. There is no excuse for littering and my kids knew that.

Over and unders, side by sides have much more felt recoil vs a gas-operated gun. I started off with a 20ga Rem 1100 at 14 years old, and never had a problem. For small youngsters, the special field Rem 1100 in 20ga is a dream come true. Youngsters need a Short length of pull and a lighter shotgun that does not kick their teeth out.

I have had some very fine over and unders, but will never own another one. My favorite now is the Berettas due to the fact that they never jam, and light recoil is a real plus.

Inertia semi-autos have some serious recoil, don't be fooled as I have owned several.

It is a heck of a thing with a guy with an old Browning A 5 outshoots two guys with Kregoffs on the skeet field.

Over and unders, side by sides have much more felt recoil vs a gas-operated gun. I started off with a 20ga Rem 1100 at 14 years old, and never had a problem. For small youngsters, the special field Rem 1100 in 20ga is a dream come true. Youngsters need a Short length of pull and a lighter shotgun that does not kick their teeth out.

I have had some very fine over and unders, but will never own another one. My favorite now is the Berettas due to the fact that they never jam, and light recoil is a real plus.

Inertia semi-autos have some serious recoil, don't be fooled as I have owned several.

It is a heck of a thing with a guy with an old Browning A 5 outshoots two guys with Kregoffs on the skeet field.
But those kregoffs are a fine specimen. And that A5 kicks a fair bit. But old mr browning was a pretty sharp cat for a 120yrs ago.

I'm not sure where you are hunting. But out west hunting with a dog and a semi auto is a royal pain. Every time the dog gets in cactus or other shenanigans, you will have to unload your shotgun vs just breaking open the action.
Just my 2 cents

I'm not sure where you are hunting. But out west hunting with a dog and a semi auto is a royal pain. Every time the dog gets in cactus or other shenanigans, you will have to unload your shotgun vs just breaking open the action.
Just my 2 cents
***?

I grew up with a dozen or more German Short Hairs, on hand at all times, plus a couple of Irish Setters. We all shot semi's.

I have a Browning Citori Feather in 20 gauge that weighs under 6 lbs with 26" barrels that I rabbit hunt with, it's a pleasure to carry. Not a gun that I want to shoot three or four rounds of skeet with though.
I've got the same shotgun. The 20 / 28 ga set. First season I took it out I kept the hard Browning buttplate on it. We were hunting pheasants in pretty windy conditions and they were pretty wild and getting up pretty far so I grabbed my 3" shells. It took EXACTLY 2 shots for me to say "uh…. Where's my molars?"

As soon as I got home I had a Browning recoil pad put on, lol.

But man is it ever a dream to carry in the field. It's out with me this week- pheasant opens Saturday.

Help me choose.

Wanting to get both myself and my kids out more, I kinda dove into a bird dog this summer and figured I would get into pheasants and grouse more. GSP puppy is finishing her first round of training and trainer said take her out in the field. She's 7 months so not expecting the world from her but my problem now is I could use a good upland shotgun.

Time for me to get a new gun! I play with rifles everyday, but dont focus on shotguns as much.

I have 4 small kids all 9 to 4 so I figured a 20ga would be sufficient for pheasant and Ruffed grouse here in MN, and would allow the kids to shoot it as needed with less recoil.

I've narrowed down my choices to a benelli montefetro, a citori, or an old production red label. Figured the Benelli would be a little nicer for the kids to shoot, but always wanted a nice O/U. I like the idea of a new O/U, but I might lean towards an older citori or an older red label if I can find one because they are usually nice and broke in. Both the benelli and the old red labels tend to fit me almost perfect as well.

Any thoughts from you experienced upland hunters?
We had a beautiful older Cynergy and rare configuration in 28" took up to 3" 20 gauge. NIB never fired and excellent wood. Wanted to use for a special Quail hunt off horse back or wagon on a Plantation here in GA. Ended up selling to a LRH member last year. I suggest get a Classie O/U or go with a Benelli Field simi auto 20 ga. Can't go wrong. Easy for the kids to shoot. i raised quail and trained Bird Dogs in NE and took many Matches. and thousands of birds,

Help me choose.

Wanting to get both myself and my kids out more, I kinda dove into a bird dog this summer and figured I would get into pheasants and grouse more. GSP puppy is finishing her first round of training and trainer said take her out in the field. She's 7 months so not expecting the world from her but my problem now is I could use a good upland shotgun.

Time for me to get a new gun! I play with rifles everyday, but dont focus on shotguns as much.

I have 4 small kids all 9 to 4 so I figured a 20ga would be sufficient for pheasant and Ruffed grouse here in MN, and would allow the kids to shoot it as needed with less recoil.

I've narrowed down my choices to a benelli montefetro, a citori, or an old production red label. Figured the Benelli would be a little nicer for the kids to shoot, but always wanted a nice O/U. I like the idea of a new O/U, but I might lean towards an older citori or an older red label if I can find one because they are usually nice and broke in. Both the benelli and the old red labels tend to fit me almost perfect as well.

Any thoughts from you experienced upland hunters?
I own 4 gas operated semiautos & 1 O/U. I like them all equally.
I can shoot the Renegauge and the 2 Remingtons all day long - no problems at all. I'll feel the O/U after 3 or 4 boxes (I shoot in a t-shirt) but the O/U is fun to shoot.
I've never had an issue with any of them, but the V3 tends to get slightly finicky when it gets dirty. Just my experiences.
Get what will work for you and your's (for a long time). Good luck.
Taught all 3 of my girls how to shoot, starting with my old Remington nylon 66 first. Have 1 Savage 24 in 22lr/410. Then the Springfield AR, then the M1A. Recoil was factored first. You can't shoot well if all you're thinking about is the coming recoil. You have to build up to it. My twins were shooting my Beretta Storm in 45 acp at the end of their first day, because they wanted to.
Agreed, everything you said. The Remington Nylon 66 was, IMO, was one of the finest .22 semi-autos EVER made. Light, tough, practically maintenance-free, easy on the eyes, priced right & very accurate! (Have an A22 that comes close nowadays)
I think that kids building up to recoil is the way to go.

Men usually buy guns for themselves, with little or no thought of what is best for the child:

Length of pull
Trigger poundage
recoil
recoil management system(s)

To mitigate the above issues, there was a family tradition, no young man got his first full-size shotgun or rifle until the age of 14 when he was able to use adult guns. My great-grandpa's double barrels were never fun to shoot, and for this reason, I never gave a hoot about nostalgia, all I knew was that "thing" hurt me. Great Grandpa got a 20ga in his older age, and that double barrel was what I loved, but even it hurt.

Today, the Beretta 20ga is a dream come true, and has half the recoil of the same in the Benelli. If you ever own a Beretta 20ga, you will never sell it.

I've got the same shotgun. The 20 / 28 ga set. First season I took it out I kept the hard Browning buttplate on it. We were hunting pheasants in pretty windy conditions and they were pretty wild and getting up pretty far so I grabbed my 3" shells. It took EXACTLY 2 shots for me to say "uh…. Where's my molars?"

As soon as I got home I had a Browning recoil pad put on, lol.

But man is it ever a dream to carry in the field. It's out with me this week- pheasant opens Saturday.
I haven't and probably won't try 3" in mine LOL. It only took about two rounds of skeet for the pad to go on, Newtons third law at work.

Men usually buy guns for themselves, with little or no thought of what is best for the child:

Length of pull
Trigger poundage
recoil
recoil management system(s)

To mitigate the above issues, there was a family tradition, no young man got his first full-size shotgun or rifle until the age of 14 when he was able to use adult guns. My great-grandpa's double barrels were never fun to shoot, and for this reason, I never gave a hoot about nostalgia, all I knew was that "thing" hurt me. Great Grandpa got a 20ga in his older age, and that double barrel was what I loved, but even it hurt.

Today, the Beretta 20ga is a dream come true, and has half the recoil of the same in the Benelli. If you ever own a Beretta 20ga, you will never sell it.
I didn't get a shotgun from my dad until I was about 14 years old. And that shotgun was a single shot 12 gauge Bay State. I think it was in Macgomery wards shotgun. Literally lock Stock and barrel.

I wasn't allowed to practice because our family was broke. My first pull of the trigger was double ought buck shot on a button buck. Thankfully, I don't remember the recoil lol.

My wife started bird hunting with me, and none of my shotguns fit her. I told her to go to capital sports in Helena and talk to the guys behind the gun counter. They're really experienced and honest to put this in perspective at the time all of my shotguns were hand me downs except for one. My most expensive shotgun was my browning silver I had a savage 12 and 20 gauge over and under.

So my wife comes home from capital sports, and says "I bought a shotgun!!". I said what you get? She bought a field grade ladies browning Citori lol my jaw hit the floor I said there's no way my wife is going to have a shotgun nicer than mine. That's exactly when I bought by browning feather light, 20 and 28 gauge set.

I'll kidding aside, which I'm really not kidding, it's best for someone to go with an experienced shotgunner NOT you And have them find a shotgun that fits them the best.

I apologize for the bad grammar and lack of punctuation, I'm doing the voice dictation in my truck and I'm about ready to throw this **** phone out the window at 80 miles an hour