Semi or O/U

O/U will be the most timeless of guns. If money isn't an issue, look at the Benelli 828U in 20 gauge. I wish they made it in the blued finish and not the two tone only. I like the look better.

But the gun is amazing. It's lightweight but has a kinetic stick that takes a lot of recoil away. It fits like Beretta 686, and a lot like Red Label. I've shot the heaviest loads through my 12 gauge and even tho it weighs less than my SBE, there is less felt recoil.

The red label will fit different than a Citori. At least it does for me. So make sure you are comfortable with fit. Also, Browning is not fun to deal with these days warranty wise if that matters.

As far as autos, gas will hit softer than inertia. But again, new Benellis have excellent recoil absorbing stocks. The issue I'd have with Monte is it's one of few Benellis without raised rib, which does throw me off a bit when shooting. I don't ever aim a shot gun. It's motion shooting, swing shooting. Even with longer range sporting clays Or fitasc. For that reason I'd go with m2 or even Ultralight or Ethos.

Beretta A400 is probably the best gas gun made right now. Even tho berettas wood on them looks bad.

In the end you are going to end up with 3 shotguns if you get into it at least. A 12 gauge auto for waterfowl/upland, a 20 gauge auto or O/u for upland/kids, and an 12 gauge O/U for clays. Start shooting a bunch of sub gauge, you may find a 28 gauge o/u in mix. Ask me how I know. Lol.

I live basically in the shotgun world. I have been shooting competitively since I was 14, and I still am, but nowadays at 79 I don't tour the tournament trail like I used to. I am a Level lll Sporting Clays Instructor with World & National titles. The best all around shotgun that I have found 9-10 yrs. old is a Beretta gas operated shotgun, models if you can find them are the 303, 390, 391, & A400. Now to you dads out there who think that they will have a new shotgun to shoot that's great if you and your son or daughter are about your height and length of pull, you might get by, which is unusual. The shotgun needs to be fitted to the shooter. They will be more comfortable and enjoy their time with you in the field or on the sporting clay ranges.
Get the right gun and then find a "good qualified level l, or ll instructor and let them help get them on the right track. Dads I know you will want to help but I have worked with some of the best and they will all tell you do not try to teach your Wife, or Kids.
Excellent advise. The advantage to an O/U is having two chokes, and the ability to carry a loaded gun with the action open.. Disadvantages are more recoil than a gas gun, and only two shots. For the kids stick to the advice above in 20ga, or even better, a 28 with tungsten. For you it is a personal choice. I would strongly suggest adding a 680 series Beretta to your list of choices. Most folks that shoot in competition would choose an O/U on pretty days and a semi for hunting in bad weather. Personally, I would rather have the choice of two chokes over capacity most of the time. I also fire a lot of shotgun shells. I have an old Blaser F3 that has over a million rounds through it.

The beauty of sub gauge stuff is now you can get tungsten or heavi-shot to make up the handicap when bird hunting. For competition, there is no replacement for a 12ga o/u. I use my beretta 686 in the field as well as competition. Once you like the feel and how it swings, its hard to find a reason not to pick it up. Even when there is a benelli montefeltro and a beretta a400 sitting there. As for length 28inch on a O/U is normal and handy in the field. Remember the action is shorter than a auto so the length is shorter with the same length barrel. And 2 chokes is a handy thing. Shot dove the other day with LF and light mod.

Excellent advise. The advantage to an O/U is having two chokes, and the ability to carry a loaded gun with the action open.. Disadvantages are more recoil than a gas gun, and only two shots. For the kids stick to the advice above in 20ga, or even better, a 28 with tungsten. For you it is a personal choice. I would strongly suggest adding a 680 series Beretta to your list of choices. Most folks that shoot in competition would choose an O/U on pretty days and a semi for hunting in bad weather. Personally, I would rather have the choice of two chokes over capacity most of the time. I also fire a lot of shotgun shells. I have an old Blaser F3 that has over a million rounds through it.
A million is a lot. If you shot 200 rounds a week for 10 years straight, you would only be at 100,000 rounds. That's two rounds of clays every week. to get to a million at that rate, that would be 100 years.

I mean maybe, but probably a bit of an embellishment. I shot competitively from my teens through my 20s and I averaged around 30,000 a year. Even at that rate it would take me 35 years on one gun alone to get there. And I wasn't using just one gun during that time.

But yes, O/Us, good ones, are built to last.

Last edited:
For me over the last 60+ years of shooting the old adage LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION is what I have learned about shooting shotguns.
It's all about where the stock meets my check bone when the gun goes off. Money wise a nice older Remington 1100 youth model in 20 gage would be my choice for the kids and be budget friendly. However an O/U field gun like a used Citori 20ga would be a great choice too. For you, if you are hunting vs pounding clay targets everyday, I think you would look much better sporting a nice O/U with a Filson waxed tin coat as you move through those fields hunting pheasants :) If you get a quality gun with an adjustable stock or have one fitted to you; felt recoil will be greatly diminished. Just in case you wanted another $.02 worth.

Completely agree with Justin. I shot skeet & trap in college & later coaches at that level. Proper fit is the key to successful shotgun shooting, especially for someone just learning to shoot. I have a Beretta O/U and 3 Benelli semi-autos and you can't go wrong with either but a 20g Rem 1100 youth with the short barrel can't be beat for kids.

I was just looking a beretta 686's. They look nice in the photos. I may have to go fondle a few.
Excellent guns. I have a 28 gauge 686 silver pigeon that was a client gun at Cabin Bluff before it closed. Was bought when MWV bought a share in it and wanted to upgrade the available guns for rental/client use. I bought it from pro shop in 2014. Probably one that actually has a million rounds through it and I still kill birds with it. Even if wood is pretty banged up.

Fun project, good on you!

O/Us are elegant, and I like the additional safety aspect. I agree with others that gas semis are softest recoiling.

If you want an O/U, here is a different perspective you might consider -

Get a 12 gauge and feed it reduced loads.

20s can have recoil that feels just as harsh as a 12. A less powerful cartridge in a lighter gun won't have less felt recoil, if the gun's mass is correspondingly reduced.

In my albeit limited experience years ago shooting 12 & 20 gauge Citoris side by side, recoil on the 20 felt worse than the 12 because the 20 was actually lighter in weight, and possibly proportionally lighter in weight as well - there was less mass to slow the recoil impulse.

(Same idea as when introducing folks to handguns - don't start them off with a little gun in a regular caliber, start them with a full-sized gun shooting a moderate load).

Well, I went down that path with grandkids myself. Having watched a slow motion video of their head and body jerking at time of discharge made a point for me to study recoil.
Chuck Hawks has a chart for shotgun recoil.. Study it closely.
I had my 6 and 7 year olds shooting 4 3/4 lbs Franchi AL semi autos. There survived for a while but I did not think they should have to endure that amount of recoil.
I have since put them shooting short stocked, gas operated 12 gauges shooting reduced loads, 3/4 oz bird shot loads. Their calculated recoil is 15-17 ft pounds vs 20-22 foot pounds for the light 20 ga Franchi's.
The first day of dove season this year my 7, 10, and 13 year olds performed the best display of shooting that I have ever witnessed, and I am 70 years old. I had 4 shotguns, one of which I was working on to get the stuck shells out and ready to go until another one fouled up. I never fired a shot. Toward the end of the day the two older kids were hitting better than 67%. The couldn't miss!
So that was my 2 cents, have common sense with kids light weight bodies and how recoil affects them.
Every action has equal and opposite reaction.

This is my 2 cents . MAKE SURE IT FITS YOU. AND THE KIDS THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT START IN AND SHOOT DISCIPLINE START WITH PROPER TECHNIQUE. . The red label was a good gun but a lot didn't have change able choke tubes and I think there are better options today. I had a Franchi they are a great gun had shorter barrel then I wanted so I sold it to a buddy for his kid. So I went with the Beretta silver pigeon 1 in a 20 gauge with 30 inch tubes for sporting clays but a great gun for birds out to 45 yards with the right choke and load combo. I like the Franchi for the kids a little more plan and cheaper but a great shooting gun. Alot easier to maintain also. GOOD LUCK

I notice a ton of 0/U are 28", is that a pretty common length for a good field gun and they handle well? I still plan to stick with a 20 gauge as well.
Barrel length comes down to personal preference. When I used to grouse hunt regularly I preferred a 24" since they were usually in very thick stuff and the extra inches of a longer barrel would always hang up on branches and limbs. If hunting more open areas a 28" was preferable since it would help me swing through.
Nowadays I compromise and mostly use my 26" Franchi.

Lots and lots of good information, some of the guns mentioned I've never laid my hands on but I started out with a single bolt action 410 and I become pretty darn deadly with it on quail, dove, and a few other birds before moving up to my dads old single shot 12 gauge break over shotgun that kicked like a mule. I soon graduated to a Stevens side by side 12 with mod/full choke tubes. I was quite deadly with this combination also and I started shooting trap and skeet and the old men shot the high dollar guns did no better than I did and they would poke on me for shooting a side by side. I didn't really care because I was really good with it. I tried the pumps and semi's but I never had the success I had with that Stevens that I sold to upgrade.
I lost interest with shooting shotguns because I never found one that fit or that I ever had the success I had with that side by side. I know a lot of people tried to get me to buy a O/U but I thought they were ugly and so I've never pulled the trigger on one.
Parting words, if you ever find that shotgun that fits and shoots great then hold onto it. If you want to upgrade then do so but keep your shooter, you'll never regret that decision.

Lots of great info to think over. After reading everything I think I should probably just focus on myself for now. When I build custom rifles for people, I usually fit them to the person so why wouldn't I do that in this case. I can order whatever I want from the distributers, so I'll have to just go in to Scheels and test a bunch out for fit and feel. I think I will lean towards a Nicer O/U for myself.

I have been wanting one for years and figured when I got one I would spend some money on one. If I can keep it under that $2k range (my cost) I think that's what I'll go for.

I notice a ton of 0/U are 28", is that a pretty common length for a good field gun and they handle well? I still plan to stick with a 20 gauge as well.
I have a Browning Citori Feather in 20 gauge that weighs under 6 lbs with 26" barrels that I rabbit hunt with, it's a pleasure to carry. Not a gun that I want to shoot three or four rounds of skeet with though.