SAUM’s Share yours from Hunting or Comp. Pics Heavy !!

7SAUM

Action: Defiance Anti X. Med.
Fully DLC coated

Trigger: Trigger Tech Diamond
Pro Curved -Clean

Stock: MCS-PH.
Elite Tac Scorched Earth

Bottom metal
Defiance / Snowy Mtn XM BDL

Barrel:
Benchmark 18" HCA Carbon Blk.
Heavy Hunter. 5R

Scope:
Tangent Theta 3-15 x 50 Marksman

Rings:
Badger Ordinance 30mm Medium

Flatline Ops Halo X Level

Bipod : Atlas CAL Tall

Suppressor: Dead Air Nomad-LTi-e

Bullet: Apex Afterburners 147gr.

Built by: Mike at Hells Canyon Armory

Rifle Weights:
6.05#. Bare rifle
7.8#. finished weight w/ optic
8.6# w/suppressor

View attachment 535685
View attachment 535793
Great thread... might as well keep it alive. I'm about to get a 7 saum build started with very similar specs. How is the 18" barrel performing velocity-wise? I'd like to do the same but have been leaning toward the 20".

Great thread... might as well keep it alive. I'm about to get a 7 saum build started with very similar specs. How is the 18" barrel performing velocity-wise? I'd like to do the same but have been leaning toward the 20".
I personally think 20" is the Goldilocks length for the 7…..could even go 22" and still be ok with a suppressor. Either way you will love it. 👍

I'm still working up with a ladder test. I'll know more this weekend. I went with 18" based on a few different considerations. Bullet weight / velocity to get the required terminal performance required, system weight, length, & balance with suppressor,
Overall intended use. I'm anticipating I'll be able to achieve 3000+ fps. with the 147's.
Everything else is working out perfectly for me.

Currently building a 300 SAUM twin to the 7.
Same components with a longer 22"barrel & different stock color. Everything is on order or in hand.
After several builds I'm getting to where I have a better idea what works best for me. 🤠

Last edited:
I'm still working up with a ladder test. I'll know more this weekend. I went with 18" based on a few different considerations. Bullet weight / velocity to get the required terminal performance required, system weight, length, & balance with suppressor,
Overall intended use. I'm anticipating I'll be able to achieve 3000+ fps. with the 147's.
Everything else is working out perfectly for me.

Currently building a 300 SAUM twin to the 7.
Same components with a longer barrel & different stock color. Everything is on order or in hand. 🤠
Makes sense. It'll be handy for sure, and ~3000 fps should be able to reach out a ways. Looking forward to hearing about the 300 saum as well. There doesn't seem to be as many out there.

I'm leaning towards the 168 Berger so the 20" will probably be the sweet spot. As AnesthesiaMD said, 22" may be fine as well but I'm looking for this to be woods friendly as possible while suppressed.

What powder(s) will you run in the 18"? I think I'm going to try initial velocity testing with N560, N565, and maybe RL26. I have H1000 and Retumbo as well but have heard good things about the VV and 7 saum.

7 Saum:
Defiance Anti-x XM
25" Benchmark #4 1:8
Manners UC plus
Hawkins XM BDL
NF NX8 4-32 mil-c
NF rings with level on rear cap
Bix and Andy Dakota trigger
180 vld's at 2985 fps
IMG_1488.jpeg

6.5 Saum:
Stiller Predator
24" Proof Carbon 1:8
Live Oak Accuracy Delta brake
McMillan Game Hunter
Hawkins m5 metal
S&B 3-20 ultra short MSR
Badger rings
Trigger Tech Diamond trigger
147 ELD 3155 fps
IMG_2109.jpeg

7 saum used to sit in an mpa chassis now in a Gunwerks magnus stock that I got when they offered adjustable cheek piece. (One of the best feeling stocks out there imo)
Origin SA
Xcaliber rem var barrel 24/25" I forget
N560 ADG brass 180 Berger hybrid 2.96"

Currently getting a 20" proof carbon barrel spun up for it.

IMG_2793.jpeg
IMG_2639.jpeg
IMG_2710.jpeg
IMG_0754.jpeg

I think the most important question Levi8599 is what's in the cooler? If that's the way you transport your handloads I think you deserve at least a high five. I have never held one, but you are not the first to say the Gunwerks stocks is the best. I think they quit making them didn't they?

I'm shooting two SAUM these days, 6.5 and 7mm. They pack a punch for their size. Here a couple of pictures and groups. The one with no label is my 6.5 with 156 Bergers. The one with the goat is my 7 SAUM, the other one is the 6.5.
I'm getting 2900 fps with 162 ELDX in the 7 saum and 3000 fps in the 6.5 with 156s.
Nice grouping, The 6.5 WOW

To help give people information on
What's Special about a SAUM?

I'd like to keep this thread about the SAUM,s only that utilize headstamped
Brass in 6.5, 7, & 300 SAUM.

I'd like to see Rifle build pics guys are using chambered in SAUM.

Also include some positive information in regards to the benefits & Performance you've experienced from your SAUM rifles, to help introduce & promote the SAUM to others.
As well as highlighting any advantages you attribute to the cartridge itself.
ie: overachieving, easy to load, versatile,
Inherently accurate, etc.

This is to piggy back off of another thread I started recently to help promote continued support of a cartridge that performs really well, & deserves to have more Brass options made available.

Help Keep the SAUM's Alive !!!

Thank you for your support.

Now share your Great pics & Experience of your favorite SAUM.
Here is my 7 SAUM, and my first mule deer taken with it. Love it, but too **** expensive to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_175741.jpg
    IMG_20200521_175741.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200708_160830.jpg
    IMG_20200708_160830.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2942.jpg
    IMG_2942.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 61
IMG_4696.jpeg

Bartlein Carbon 22"
ARC Archimedes SA
Trigger Tech Special
Vortex HS LR
XYLO Chassis
Harris Bipod 6"- 9"
6.5 SAUM
Hornady 135 A Tip @3000 FPS w/RL26, Fed 210M in Bertram brass.
It was 302 yards from the little bush to the right of the power pole at the top of the hill. I shot off a Jim Shockey Primos tripod. One and done. Right behind the shoulder. Sent pieces of the lungs out the off side.

Recent Posts