SAUM’s Share yours from Hunting or Comp. Pics Heavy !!

26" is a good barrel overall length. That's what mine is…….oh wait, 8.5" of that is suppressor.😊

IMG_6297.jpeg

You guys got me thinking. Inwas planning a 7PRC build in the future but seeing the posts here and the info, I'm definately considering a saum instead. Is there any inparticular i need to know for best performance and accuracy? Stay around a certain barrel length, what size action is best, etc... i know i could tally up info from the different builds but in the spirit if the thread trying to grab some solid info for us new builders.
Ii would say action is dependent on future plans.
long you can swap barrels and make a 30-06, 7PRC, 7 REM ect.
Short/ 6.5 PRC, 300 WIN, 6.5 or 6 creedmoor, .223, ect.

Long action will be a little longer, heavier
Short action: shorter lighter

I went with a SA Proof Research MTR. And added a Wyatt's box. I can load to a CoAL of 2.95 -feeds smooth and I don't feel I give up anything to the long actions.

With proof you get a toolless swapable bolt face and several pre fit barrel options. It's made with high end components. At the 3K price point it's hard to beat. I

26" is a good barrel overall length. That's what mine is…….oh wait, 8.5" of that is suppressor.😊

View attachment 554389
Your loading bench is so clean and organized! I have buckets and boxes of processed brass on a big section of my bench, then tons of buckets for unprocessed brass in buckets underneath. Then i normally have some in the in between process laying on top my bench. I have like 25 different cartridges I load for with 10-12 being in my main rotation (I have a shooting addiction). How do you store your brass HuntnPack? I definitely think some shelving in the back would be great for me. I have an old heavy 11ga cabinet I got from work years ago I fixed up for all my ammo, primers powder, bullets, etc., but it is overflowing now.

Got out today with my 18" 7SAUM Suppressed. Ran a second short ladder in .3 gr increments. N560, Fed 210m, 147gr. Afterburners. Seated .015 OTL, BTO 2.280, OAL 3.076. Ran it up to 66.0 gr. @3068.8fps, got pressure signs there.
Going to drop down & shoot for stable velocity & groups. Then fine tune as needed.
Pretty Pleased with results so far.

Edit; Shoutout to Garmin !! 😎

IMG_6351.jpeg
IMG_6352.jpeg
IMG_6353.jpeg

Last edited:
You guys got me thinking. Inwas planning a 7PRC build in the future but seeing the posts here and the info, I'm definately considering a saum instead. Is there any inparticular i need to know for best performance and accuracy? Stay around a certain barrel length, what size action is best, etc... i know i could tally up info from the different builds but in the spirit if the thread trying to grab some solid info for us new builders.
Ii would say action is dependent on future plans.
long you can swap barrels and make a 30-06, 7PRC, 7 REM ect.
Short/ 6.5 PRC, 300 WIN, 6.5 or 6 creedmoor, .223, ect.

Long action will be a little longer, heavier
Short action: shorter lighter

I went with a SAProof Research MTR. And added a Wyatt's box. I can load to a CoAL of 2.95 -feeds smooth and I don't feel I give up anything to the long actions.

With proof you get a toolless swapable bolt face and several pre fit barrel options. It's made with high end components. At the 3K price point it's hard to beat. I

Here's my 6.5 SAUM although it is an improved version.

• Pierce SkeleTi short action
  • 21" HCA 7.5 twist barrel
  • AG Composites Visigoth
  • Hawkins Hunter DBM
  • Trigger Tech Diamond flat trigger 1.5#
  • ARC Rings
  • Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 MIL
8# 1oz finished weight.

130 Terminal Ascent @ 3250, .3" average

144LRHT @ 3150, .26" average.

The SkeleTi action is ridiculously light and also smooth for a TI action, if I were to build it again I would use the upcoming BAT VESPER action and the UM DBM that allows seating to 3.150".

Pictures are showing it wearing a Leupold MK5. I was able to drop 8# + oz by swapping the Vortex Razor LHT. durability and repeatability TBD with the Vortex.

I also have a C6 barrel and custom reamer to chamber up a 300 SAUM Imp barrel to swap as needed.View attachment 524590View attachment 524591
Update to the above post. Got my 300 SAUM Improved barrel spun up and installed.

Had it throated for the 185 Juggernauts @ 2.950. Manson nailed it on the reamer. Also going to try the 200.20x because the increase in BC is insane. May try 190 ABLRs for a general hunting load as well.

Only changes to above build list is:
  • 30 cal 8 twist Carbon Six magnum contour @ 21" finish length
  • SS Pro 3 brake
  • Changed the bottom metal from a Hawkins Hunter DBM to the unknown munitions DBM that will fit 3.150" inside as long as you have a Wyatt's cut load port. My 6.5 SAUM barrel needs 3.044" with the 144LRHT so this keeps me from having to single feed.
Now I just need the ADG 300 SAUM brass buy to come to fruition so I don't have to keep necking up 7 SAUM brass.

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpeg
    IMG_1496.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1497.jpeg
    IMG_1497.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 41
I'm shooting two SAUM these days, 6.5 and 7mm. They pack a punch for their size. Here a couple of pictures and groups. The one with no label is my 6.5 with 156 Bergers. The one with the goat is my 7 SAUM, the other one is the 6.5.
I'm getting 2900 fps with 162 ELDX in the 7 saum and 3000 fps in the 6.5 with 156s.
What powder are you running in the 6.5?

What do guys think of the Bat Vesper short action internal box is 3.150 for a 7 saum? Seems like it would work good for the saum with 180gr and lighter bullets.
I'll let you know in few couple months when LPR finishes mine using a vesper…..just a little excited. I may be wrong but I believe Unknown Munitions bottom metal is the only mag available that will allow the 3.150 length in a SA. Don't buy a Hawkins bottom and expect to load at 3.150. I say go for it. I am using a medium vesper with UM bottom metal for my new build but it is a 300 wsm throated for 215s with an extra 7 saum barrel spun up just because. With a SAUM, I can't think of ever needing more than 3.150 COAL. I currently shoot the 180 eldm's out of my SA 7 saum with 2.950 max. Works well but leaving a little performance on the table compared to seating them LONG.

Recent Posts