rifle for wife

bubba41

guys what would a good deer / elk rifle be for the wife that doesn't kick like a mule ? i do have a winchester m 70 action to build on.

Been a couple of threads on this topic the last couple of years. You'll see a lot more answer's if you try the search function.
I'd suggest a 7mm-o8. Lots of bullet choices with low recoil. .308 is not a bad choice. Several of the .26 calibers are also good choices. Bruce

For deer and elk I would strive for one of the magnum calibers, but there are plenty that are not in the magnum category that would suffice.

Using my wife as an example, she doesn't care about the recoil, even my 300wm loaded really hot doesnt bug her. She was more interested in how it guys in her hands and how the scope lined up with eye and what not.

The two guns she shoots are a 708 ackley improved in a Browning a bolt and Ruger 243.

The ackley shoots 140 grain accubonds @ 2950.

I wouldn't recommend the ackley version, only because of cost. There are much more economical ways you can get a 7mm bullet to travel velocities high enough to kill elk routinely.

Take your wife into a gun store and have her hold several guns. Then choose caliber.

Enjoy!

thanks i'll stay away from 308 . but 6.5mm might be a good idea

.260 Remington Ackley Improved 40* would make a really nice deer rifle for anyone, especially for women, since it will have low recoil. However, being an AI, it has great velocity and ballistics.

7-08 ,270, 260rem, or 280... all are great at what they do and won't bite that bad on the back end if you put a good pad on the stock. Give them a decent bbl. length too; my brother uses a 280 with a 24" bbl. for popping whitetails and he's getting rather close to 7mag speeds without working the rifle too much.

6.5 Creedmoor would be an excellent choice as well. Minimal recoil with scary accuracy. Ive shot a few critters with it and does a fantastic job. Its really a fun caliber to shoot.

I am having a 7 RSAUM built right now for my girlfriend. #3 contour Benchmark, B&C Ti stock. Leupold 4x14x14AO with turrents. Should be done next week. I bought my daughter several guns for her to hunt deer and elk:
Remington 700 280, B&C Ti stock, Leupold 4x14x40 CDS,
Remington 700 7 RSAUM, B&C Ti stock, Leupold 4x14x40 CDS
Remington 700 300 RSAUM, B&C Ti stock, Leupold 4x14x40 CDS. Also muzzle brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts