Votes: 18 33.3%
  • 260 Remington

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bigeclipse

Ok guys so my wife is an avid hunter but not an avid shooter. She will go to the range occasionally and shoot her 243 before hunting season. I hate to admit this but she is a better shot than I am...She consistantly prints .5MOA or less with the rifle at 300 yards while I tend to be more around .6-.75MOA with same rifle haha. Anyways, she read some forum threads and articles about how the 243 is really the minimum cartridge for north country deer, especially when getting out to further distances like 400 yards and now she wants to "step-up" in caliber to ensure clean kills even if she hits a shoulder bone. I can understand her view, but she has been great with the 243 up until now and I tried explaining to her she really does not need to change but hey...if I got it in my head I want a new rifle/caliber, no one could tell me otherwise so you know what they say "happy wife = happy life". Here is the problem...she is a tad recoil sensitive...well actually...I dont even think its the recoil that bothers her its more the sound/concussion. When we go to the range and I shoot my 3006, she is like "WOW" that thing really sounds harsh. yes we wear hearing protection. I had her shoot it and she said "not as bad as I expected but still the sound/concussion scared me"...so now the question is...what caliber to get her. Now please, dont comment about large calibers and muzzle brakes. I used to be against muzzle brakes because I like to be able to hear deer approaching and do not like wearing hearing aids/protection but I am starting to come around to that idea but she is NOT. So this will be a woods rifle shooting woods distances (150 yards or less) with one occasional hunting spot that can go out 400 yards. I do re-load but it would be nice if this rifle could also shoot factory so please excuse rare calibers from this discussion. Availability of brassis also a plus just in case I decide to reload for it. I have included a poll with some popular calibers but just in case I forgot any there is an "other" option and please list it in the thread. So her list of importance:

1) Not killer recoil (again, I know this is subjective and something she would be ok with over time but there is no convincing her right now) I think she could tolerate the 3006 with a good recoil pad but that may be risking scaring her off lol.
2) fits her well (she is 5'4 average build) so a heavy rifle is out. Short action may be better but she shoulders my light weight remington mountain 3006 well.
3) Caliber that if she made a shoulder shot at 300-400 yards will bust through the shoulder and still penetrate well...I know this comes down to bullet selection as well but again, it's in her head that caliber is important.

4) again, no muzzle brakes and please dont state "the 243 will be fine" lol this is her decision not mine haha.

My wife uses a 7mm-08.

Honestly all the calibers on your list are suitable , with the 270 and 308 coming in at the top recoilwise.

the 25-06 is certainly capable of the shots you want to make , and i love that caliber, but obviously the 260, 270, 7mm, 30 caliber are going to give you more wiggle room and bullet selection.

The main factor is going to be rifle FIT..... if it FITs her, she will shoot it very well even with more recoil than the .243. So i'd personally look at how this 243 that she shoots very well fits her and go from there.

Also, i found my wife really isnt recoil sensitive at all, shes NOISE sensitive. With double hearing protection (quality plugs and muffs) she will shoot whatever without a flinch

My wife uses a 7mm-08.

Honestly all the calibers on your list are suitable , with the 270 and 308 coming in at the top recoilwise.

the 25-06 is certainly capable of the shots you want to make , and i love that caliber, but obviously the 260, 270, 7mm, 30 caliber are going to give you more wiggle room and bullet selection.

The main factor is going to be rifle FIT..... if it FITs her, she will shoot it very well even with more recoil than the .243. So i'd personally look at how this 243 that she shoots very well fits her and go from there.

Also, i found my wife really isnt recoil sensitive at all, shes NOISE sensitive. With double hearing protection (quality plugs and muffs) she will shoot whatever without a flinch

Thats what I think is happening with my wife so I will make sure she doubles up at the range on our next trip and see again how she does with my 3006

My wife loves my 6.5x47L guns, both heavy and light. Very similiar to the 260, heavies will get you elk capable and deer within 800 yards or so.

7mm-08. We got my wife a Savage (American classic I think, wood stock) and topped it with a Leupold VX3 in a dnz game reaper mount. It will shoot 1 moa or better using hornady superformance 139 sst's.

I voted .260Rem. What's not to like? Superb accuracy, insane amount of bullets to choose from, good barrel life & more punch than the .243.

You may consider a 130grn bullet to keep recoil on the lower side, the Barnes 127grn LRX comes to mind. At your intended ranges, that bullets will break the shoulder of any Muley i've come across.

I don't suppose they allow suppressor use where you hunt?

t

I voted 7mm-08.

For the following;
1) minimal recoil/blast
2) ample velocity/energy within the ranges you mentioned
3) huge selection of factory ammo
4) readily sourced factory ammo
5) short action so there many rifles ready to go for smaller hunters
6) if reloading, HUGE array of bullets/cases/primers/powders to choose from

To me, the 7mm-08 does all you're asking with aplomb.

Maybe looking at reloading books will give you some insight. Recoil is a factor of mass X velocity................

The 270 is my vote for the winner because it can be down loaded to get the lower performance of the 260 rem and the 7mm.08

In reloading books you see about 2800 fps top out for a 140 gr for the 260 rem. 2900 fps for the 7mm-08 and 3000 for the 270.

The bigger volume of the 270 case allows room for slower burning powders. I actually shoot 140's at a little over 3100 fps using 7828 ssc and no deer has ever run away. I have two custom 270's One rifle you did not list was the 270 WSM My buddy bought a tack driving tika.

Tikka T3 Lite .270 WSM | Tactical Gun Review

Maybe looking at reloading books will give you some insight. Recoil is a factor of mass X velocity................

The 270 is my vote for the winner because it can be down loaded to get the lower performance of the 260 rem and the 7mm.08

In reloading books you see about 2800 fps top out for a 140 gr for the 260 rem. 2900 fps for the 7mm-08 and 3000 for the 270.

The bigger volume of the 270 case allows room for slower burning powders. I actually shoot 140's at a little over 3100 fps using 7828 ssc and no deer has ever run away. I have two custom 270's One rifle you did not list was the 270 WSM My buddy bought a tack driving tika.

As for the 270...I was considering that but every 270 I have shot kicked as hard as most 3006s I have shot. Not sure why that is...maybe coincidence in the rifles I shot.

Tikka T3 Lite .270 WSM | Tactical Gun Review

I didnt mention the wsm because I think they are a dying breed...which I want to avoid. My local gun shops will not even take in WSMs on trade anymore due to poor resale turn-a-round time. I have owned a 300wsm in the past and loved it but again im trying to stick to the cartridges that have survived and will continue to do so. Not saying the WSMs wont survive but my area is starting to show they wont.

I didnt mention the wsm because I think they are a dying breed...which I want to avoid. My local gun shops will not even take in WSMs on trade anymore due to poor resale turn-a-round time. I have owned a 300wsm in the past and loved it but again im trying to stick to the cartridges that have survived and will continue to do so. Not saying the WSMs wont survive but my area is starting to show they wont.

I think you are experiencing a localized issue. The short mags will be here for a LONG time to come. but for what you're needing, they may be a bit overkill.

t

I'm a big of the 7-08, and based on what you are looking for, and my experience with it, that's what I voted for.

What was said earlier about finding a rifle that fits her is key. My wife can shoot any pistol almost as well as I, or rifle for that fact, if it fits her and she is comfortable shooting it. Women are smaller and almost need a youth size gun most of the time, but they do not want a youth size gun. So a short action with a stock built to fit a woman. A decent cheek piece to get her eye to the scope, a good pad and shorter throw and fore end. I'm sure you know or have considered all of this.

I do not know too much about the other calibers listed. Buy I have killed several deer with the 7-08 and my 12 year old loves his, and my wife loves mine. It's easy to load for and you can shoot up to 160 grain plus bullets in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts