Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

I don't know that there's any data that exists that would give an average pressure for all or atleast most actions. Actions are designed to withstand pressures over what a standard load would be but, doubt if any action manufacturer is going to release what pressure that is for a given action. I do seem to remember reading an article where tests had been run and determined that shear strength...I'm guessing was predicted on the lugs to be 130k-150K psi but don't think name of action was given. Maybe some others may be able to offer more definitive info.

+1 w/roaddog1m-don't weld the barrel shut.

And don't pull an Elmer Fudd and put ya finger in the barrel either.:D

I don't know that there's any data that exists that would give an average pressure for all or atleast most actions. Actions are designed to withstand pressures over what a standard load would be but, doubt if any action manufacturer is going to release what pressure that is for a given action. I do seem to remember reading an article where tests had been run and determined that shear strength...I'm guessing was predicted on the lugs to be 130k-150K psi but don't think name of action was given. Maybe some others may be able to offer more definitive info.

Most rifles are built with a 50% safety factor But not to withstand the pressure of a pluged barrel
so the test proves nothing except that they can and will come apart if you pluge the barrel by
any meens.

The barrel contour has an effect on what pressure it will take before failure so again.Don't
read a lot into this test except that as others have said. DON'T PLUG THE BARREL !!!

J E CUSTOM

Wow, that's scary since I have a 700PSS. I guess I'll have to remember not to weld my barrel shut. :rolleyes:

I'm still pretty impressed with Remingtons. I recently handled one that had a 308 Win fired in a 270 chamber. That bullet extruded it's way down the bore and Remington's "3 rings of steel" did their job very well. The case head expanded and flowed to fill the entire extractor recess, primer cup completely flattened, brass flowed .020" into the ejector hole. No damage except for stress cracks at the boltface flange that retains the spring steel extractor. Later the bolt flange was bored out, a bushing installed and a Sako style extractor installed.

Good to hear it wasn't you.:)

The story was a roommate found a cartridge on the floor of his closet and shot it in the owners rifle without his permission. The owner wasn't happy and was having the "friend" pay for everything luckily.

It is amazing that the case did not fail and rupture gases into the idiots face.

Think the case is reloadable??
DSC03324.jpg

That video has been bouncing around for a while now. It was taken in Finland whilst a range of rifles were tested. They were all 308 with the same bullets - 168gr.

The build quality of the average remington/browning/winchester (excluding the older winchesters) is not highly regarded here in Europe.

After watching this video, I have decided to quit letting the Finnish weld the barrels on my Remingtons closed. :)