How important is seeing the hit

This is another video I had promised.

In this video the effects are clearly evident if the wrong brake is used/chosen for light weight barrels.

I have no evidence of the effects on bedding because this has just been identified and long term effects are not known.

We messed with changing the top port size by plugging all but one and on one we plugged all 4 and the results were not conclusive . The 1 that we plugged all but one still exhibited excessive down force and the one that we plugged all top ports acted normal for one that did not have any top ports in the beginning (No Big Surprise)

It appears that if you want this feature you should start with one very small hole and ream as you test it, enlarging it just enough to hold the muzzle down and No More.

I like everyone else, thought this was the cat's meow, until I started seeing the results in slow
motion. This could also explain the broken stocks .

So hear are the results for everyone to see so they can decide what they want from a brake.

Nothing personal or pointed, just more information.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]_W4HviShfEs[/MEDIA]"]How important is seeing the hit? - YouTube[/ame]

J E CUSTOM

For some reason, the link would not open so I re copied it so everyone could review it.

J E CUSTOM

Interesting video. There is obviously a down ward force, but did you take into account the front rest flexing and possibly not the barrel? Would a heavier barrel stop the flex? Can you break a wood stock with a brake? Thanks for sharing.

Interesting video. There is obviously a down ward force, but did you take into account the front rest flexing and possibly not the barrel? Would a heavier barrel stop the flex? Can you break a wood stock with a brake? Thanks for sharing.

The front rest did not move and we even moved the straps to make sure they were not contributing any. the lighter the barrel, the greater the flexing. the heavier barrels started flexing the stocks(The weaker of the two). While holding the rifle off hand, flexing was less because you could not hold the rifle perfectly level, and your body allowed the rifle to move so much that slow motion could not measure it well, but it still occurred.

What started all of this testing was a little 5.6 pound rifle in 338 RCM that
getting a follow up shot on multiple animals was impossible because the rifle climb almost 90o every time I fired it off hand (Standing) so the first chance I got, I installed a good top ported brake hoping to solve the problem.

The next time I went hunting, I got a chance to try it out on three coyotes. This time all I could see after each shot was the ground and one of the coyotes got away because I could not acquire him fast enough.

So the testing began. And the results are very plain in slow motion to me.

Also a lot of my time has been spent replacing or repairing broken stocks. and armed with this information I started noticing a large percentage of broken stocks had a top port brake install and most of these were broken while firing the rifle ether off a rest or from a blind.
Most of the rifles with this problem are magnum rifles with heavy barrels that transfer the down force to the stock.

This would explain many of the broken stocks that I assumed were broken out of miss handling (Some were dropped from great heights and some were simply ran over with a vehicle, but some were well taken care of and in great condition).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Did you happen to test a radial port brake with holes spaced evenly around the circumference? After seeing this video I wonder if the radial brake would be more accurate?

Did you happen to test a radial port brake with holes spaced evenly around the circumference? After seeing this video I wonder if the radial brake would be more accurate?

We did test many different types of radials and found that as long as they had apposing ports we could see no flexing or torqueing. Radial brakes with un-apposing ports did react differently depending on the direction of the ports. Some of the ports were closer to the top of the brake than to the bottom in an attempt to lower muzzle rise and they had the same effect as the drilled top ports, but just not as prominent and some barrel flexing still existed.

As far as accuracy difference, It appeared that as long as the ports were apposing the accuracy was unaffected because the bullet had left the barrel before any of the flexing had a chance to effect the bullet flight. But the constant flexing of the barrel and subsequent shifting of the action in the stock did effect the accuracy.

In most cases the brake has more effect on the shooter than the rifle except for the constant pounding of the stock. (rifles are designed to recoil backwards and when down force is added, it can change The dynamics of the design) we did find that the rifles that shot really well with an opposing port brake did well, did not fair as well with an unbalanced/unopposed ported brake using the same ammo.

So to answer your question, If any brake is well designed with no added
dynamics whether it is a side port or a radial design there is no apparent advantage in accuracy. the type of brake has more impact on the type of shooting it is being used for.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
ok now im nervous I have a 3 port per side and 3 port top.Tops are .234 on a proof carbon 338 NM,think I would be ok plug 2 ports Lonewolf tact 2 carbon stock pillared

I'm looking forward to getting home to watch it. I make brakes for myself to play on my recoil slide. Before they go on the slide I shoulder fire them. One broke a Proof Research stock right behind the action. The vibration hurt my face. I thought the gun blew up till I realized I was holding the front half.

I'm looking forward to getting home to watch it. I make brakes for myself to play on my recoil slide. Before they go on the slide I shoulder fire them. One broke a Proof Research stock right behind the action. The vibration hurt my face. I thought the gun blew up till I realized I was holding the front half.

Proof Research replaced the stock. They were as surprised as me.

That video is very interesting. You posted something about tuning the brake. This is a terrible photo but taxes my ability. The two "V" shapes you can see are notches filed in the top two ports to get the rifle to stop going to the left when I fire it. The bottoms of the ports are parallel to the cuts you can see. I can now see impacts even at 100 yards.

P.S. the rifle was suppose to be ceracoated but the 'smith forgot. I don't have time to wait because I leave tomorrow for a hunt, so I painted it. The load contains 61.0 grains pushing a 130 grain bullet.)
brake.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.