Remington 870

Does anybody hate the Remington 870? Or at least not like it?

I was talking to a friend the other day and he said he had a lot of bad experiences with them.

I think they're great!

I regret selling mine sometimes...
I don't hate the 870 but I've owned a lot of them and never really had one that fit me well, I'm 73 years old and started hunting at an early age with a Winchester model 12/16ga that fits perfectly and I've never had anything that else that fits like it so I guess I'll finish my hunting using it, it's kinda silvery on the edges but still shoots and functions as always

I was talking to a friend the other day and he said he had a lot of bad experiences with them.

I think they're great!

No I don't hate the 870 but after owning lots of them can't say I've ever had one that fits me well, I started hunting at a very early age with a Winchester model 12 16ga and at 73 still use it and it still functions and shoots good as ever, after owning 100's of shotguns over the years it's still my favorite

I think they're great!

Bought a 870 wingmaster magnum 12 gauge with 30" full choke vent rib barrel in mid 80's, the next year got a 28" modified barrel vent rib. It is still my preferred shotgun for all game here in S Alabama. Has put a ton of meat in the freezer. Love it so much I bought my son one in 2012. Same wingmaster magnum 12 but with c changeable choke and will take 3 1/2" shells.
I could never imagine life without that shotgun!
If I were to buy a shotgun today, it would not be the new 870 express. I would look for either an old 870 wingmaster magnum or an older Browning BPS. I picked up the later off of Gunbroker for $550. Made in Japan. S/N confirms made in 1999. Not a scratch on it…looked like a closet gun. Came with 3 chokes and I added the other 3 available along with a choke wrench.

Last edited:
I own three. I have my Dad's Wingmaster made in 1950. He stored it bad one year and it got rusted. I had it professionally refinished. I have the Wingmaster I bought in 1979. I bought another Wingmaster, Duck's Unlimited, made in 82. I bought it about 15 years ago. I shot informal Trap at our gun club with this one. Never an issue with any.

Bought my Wingmaster 12 gauge, 2-3/4 round 30" barrel in 1974. Over the years I added a slug barrel and then added a Choate 8 round tube. It is now my home protection shotgun.
Remington 870 12ga -2.JPG

I had a sticky-chamber wingmaster bought new in about 2012. The trigger guard was painted, and the paint had almost completely chipped off in a couple years time. Totally overpriced piece of garbage. Our old wingmasters and express 870's ate its lunch.

I sold that gun recently and would get an express before risking another new mfg wingmaster. Im also not really a shotgun guy

My only bad experience with them, was that I sold a few that I should have kept. I am talking older 870's not the new versions 2000 to present. The older pre-1990 wing masters were and are still the best shooting shotguns available IMO.

It does what every shotgun should do, regardless of how you treat it. use it as a boat paddle, then load it up and it goes bang, bang bang. They might not be semi's or the most beautiful gun ever made, but if I was only allowed one shotgun for the rest of my life and I was going where spare parts are not available, it would be the only gun I would even consider.

My Wing master has shot and ejected every shell I have fed her since I bought it used in 1986. I bet 50,000 rounds have been through her. No parts replaced, just have to clean it every year and had to file a sharper edge on the extractor at about 35,000 rounds and clean behind the extractor in the bolt. Guns are bullet proof.

I do have many O/U's, SXS's and semis and I must admit my wing master is left in the safe on many occasions, but that is particularly true as I am not shooting mostly .410's for sport and clays. My go to gun for now is a Browning 725 in .410.

Last edited:
I scanned all the other posts but did not see anyone mention the issue with short stroking and locking the gun up. Full disclosure, pumps are not my wheelhouse. But I shot a buddy's tricked out 870 police (factory mods) and locked the thing up bad. I think they are beautiful and great guns but I don't know if all pumps do this or just the 870. Obviously only an issue if you are tryign to shoot multiple rounds in rapid succession.

I'm an autoloader guy but you have to be able to pay for those, I think one of the beatuties of the 870 is the economy. Even high end Wingmasters are less than comparable autoloaders. And some of the Remingtons are crazy beautiful compared to others. Bluing and wood that are hard to find.

JB