Remington 870

I've owned three Wingmasters in the last 40 years. First one I received when I was 12, was stolen 5 or so years later and replaced it with another, both 12ga. Had a 20ga for a while and traded it off before I ever shot it, big regret! Never had a problem, still my go to. I do own some other nice shotguns but love the 870.

Does anybody hate the Remington 870? Or at least not like it?

I was talking to a friend the other day and he said he had a lot of bad experiences with them.

I think they're great!

I regret selling mine sometimes...
Toughest shotgun ever made, I'm 63 and got first 870 when I was 12 for Christmas it was the only shotgun I owned till I was in my 40s no telling how many thousands of rounds have been through that gun its a 2 3/4" when I started turkey hunting I got a 3" special purpose 870 never regretted 1 thing about either

I've had and sold at least a half dozen different 870's. 12 gauge slug a super mag, 20 gauge wingmaster and other field models and never had a issue other than wanting something better. Once you switch to a semi auto it's tough to go back to a pump because for some reason you forget to pump it so you gotta make that first shot count! 🤣

870 hardwood stocks replaced with Remington Thumbhole, Timney trigger spring replacement to 2.5lb, Hastings bull barrel turned it into extremely accurate slug gun.
113E38E6-A9F5-489C-82C5-3D9F169E907F.jpeg

I had a rem 870 magnum that I used for duck hunting in some pretty nasty stuff. I waded in and hunted allot of swamps, ie no duck blinds with kitchens. It worked great as long as it was well cleaned after every use. If I did not clean it religiously, the action would kind of jam up and I would end up ejecting a live shell into the swamp. I probably ejected at least a couple of boxes of steel into swamps over about a 10 year period. I ended up turning it into a DSG and went with an O/U and never looked back.

Grew Up using an 870 Wingmaster for Doves, Squirrels, Rabbits, Quail and Deer. Loved it and still do. I have an 870 410 that is a grouse killing machine. I also have a 60's vintage model 870 that was my dads that resides in my gun safe and only comes out for a good oiling once or twice a year. He loved to squirrel hunt and it was his pride and joy. I don't think a better pump gun was ever made. JMO.

I own two 12gauge pumps. Wingmaster, which I would not part with and an express that I use for dog training. Both have been reliable firearms. My express is the only gun I'm ashamed of sometimes, due to the neglect (using it like a tool that you would find in back of an old pickup truck.)

Bought a Wingmaster 12 guage in 1975 and still have it.Bought it from Gibsons sporting goods store.
It came with a 30 in full choke non rib barrel.Some years later I came across a 28 inch Remington factory barrel with a rib barrel and screw in chokes so I bought it.
There is no way to count the number of ducks,geese and turkeys and yes even rabbits I have killed with that shotgun.
Love that shotgun!

870's are/were like any gun from Remington, the more you paid, the better the fit and finish and when it was produced plays a big role. A few years ago I bought a cheap one with a rough chamber, as others previously mentioned, and it was abysmal. There were other quality and fit and finish concerns like the platform for the front bead not being straight and so forth. I have an NEF Pardner pump which is just a Norinco 870 clone that has and continues to outperform that particular 870. Personally I prefer semi auto shotguns now and have a couple of Berettas which I love and I believe to be better machines. I don't see myself every buying an 870 ever again, RemArms or otherwise.

I currently own three 870 Wingmasters.

I had 4 at one time. I sold that 4th one. It was a 12ga Magnum model purchased in the early 1970s. The magazine spring weakened over time, and with heavy 3" lead magnum shells, the shells wouldn't reliably be shoved back onto the follower. So after shooting a first shell in the chamber, I'd end up dry firing on an empty chamber for my second shot. Rack the action again and it would feed from the mag again and fire again aftrer that 3rd effort.

I solved that problem with a new magazine spring.

Next problem I experienced was 3" Remington Peter's shells wouldn't clear the ejection port. The mouth of the fired, opened cases were too long to clear the front of the ejection port.

I sent the shotgun to Remington. Told them the issue I was having. Fired Remington Peters 3" Mag shells wouldn't clear the ejection port on their 12ga 870 Wingmaster Magnum model shotgun.

They said their experienced gunsmith inspected the shotgun and found nothing wrong. I sold that 870. Then 20 years later, Remington was bankrupt.

Haven't had any problems with my other three 870s. Two are 20ga Lightweight models. The 3rd is another 12ga Magnum model. But after the problems I had with the one 870 I sold, I researched 870s and bought new mag springs for the others. I also upgraded some other parts on all 3, to help ensure reliability for home defense and bear defense uses.
Pretty much the same experience with my 870s over the years. If I keep them clean they run fine. They are so cheap if one starts to have reoccurring problems, I'll just get a new one at Academy.

Last edited:
I've got 3 of them 2 are 12's all three are express models and the 20 has killed more critters than I can count. I've worn nearly all the finish off the metal and wood I can look at it and have spots that need extra oil or I get spots of surface rust but I've had it 20+ years and never had an issue mechanically. Like any pump they wear a bit and get smoother with age, the mag tube spring I replaced after 10yrs of use. I've finally broke down and installed a set of Hogue furniture plan on duracoating it once duck season is over. I still take it opening day of squirrel and duck season it lives in my truck as a backup/loaner. My only complaint is the length of pull was always a little long, after replacing the stock she fits like a glove I've fell back in love started using her again more often.
Wing masters are much better fit and finish and you'll not find a finer pump gun.