Reloader 26 in 6.5 creedmoor

My slowish 6.5 saum is on a proof barrel also. I'm not giving up on mine yet. If has only 50 shots on it. It still goes 3130 with a 147 and rl26. I'm keeping it because the bore looks absolutely perfect inside. Nicest bore I've ever scoped. Never had copper in it from day one. Cleaned up with just a few patches. And yes it shoots bug holes. This one shoots 1/2 inch at 300 yards and in the ones at 100 yards. I expect to pick up at least 50fps in the next 50 or so shots but even if it doesn't speed up I'm ok with what it's doing.
Shep

Attachments

• 20201016_142309.jpg
    20201016_142309.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
My slowish 6.5 saum is on a proof barrel also. I'm not giving up on mine yet. If has only 50 shots on it. It still goes 3130 with a 147 and rl26. I'm keeping it because the bore looks absolutely perfect inside. Nicest bore I've ever scoped. Never had copper in it from day one. Cleaned up with just a few patches. And yes it shoots bug holes. This one shoots 1/2 inch at 300 yards and in the ones at 100 yards. I expect to pick up at least 50fps in the next 50 or so shots but even if it doesn't speed up I'm ok with what it's doing.
Shep
Shep, your the Man. 1/2" @ 300yds. I would say your job is done. I'd take that on any given day with low ES, SD. Time to break out the EggNogg. Merry Christmas Sir.

I haven't made the eggnog yet. To busy making deer bologna and sausage. My boy just flew in last night so we will probably make the eggnog today. If you have never made it homemade you have to try it. You will never buy store bought again. I have many rifles that shoot like this one. Being a 1000 yard BR shooter all my comp guns shoot at or under 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 300 or the barrel becomes a hunting rifle barrel. But this gun was stupid easy to tune. The 123 hammers do 3500 and were doing 5/8 inch at 300. And 140 Berger's were doing 5/8 at 300 also. Just doesn't care what I feed it. None of these loads were even tweaked. Haven't even adjusted seating depths on them except the hammers needed to be put in the lands .003 to get consistent pressure. I built a few creeds on the proofs and they all seem ok. I think the problems proof had have been resolved. And from what I've heard they replaced any of the barrels thought to be bad. I wouldn't hesitate to use more of them in the future. Building a couple more 6.5saums right now hope they tune and shoot as easy as this one. Even got lucky and found some rl26 on the shelves. That would make great stocking stuffers.
Shep

After 32 pages, I figured I would chime in.

I just worked up a load in my 6.5 creedmoor Kimber Classic 22". 44-49 gr RL26 with 143 ELD-X at 2.80" COAL.

No pressure signs on the brass. No heavy bolt lift. Slightly flat primers. 63Kpsi per Quickload with my H2O capacity (Starline LRP brass).
creeds max pressure as per saami specs is 62,000 psi so your already way over pressure even if your not showing pressure

Last edited:
creeds max pressure as per saami specs is 62,000 psi so your already way over pressure even if your not showing pressure
But he was showing pressure. The slightly flat primer is a pressure sign.
Sometimes bolt lift shows, sometimes brass flow, or primers start to flatten.
I use all three first to show is were to stop and back off a bit and start loading form groups.

I did some testing last year on this. I found that by the time you see brass flow and stiff bolt lift you are already over 70,000 psi depending on brass hardness. In one case, I was at 74,000 psi by the time I saw brass flow. Be very cautious.

But he was showing pressure. The slightly flat primer is a pressure sign.
Sometimes bolt lift shows, sometimes brass flow, or primers start to flatten.
I use all three first to show is were to stop and back off a bit and start loading form groups.
Yes, i know but a lot of people ignore the slight pressure sighns and write it off , as, a, soft primer weak brass, etc

To be fair most of us have run a warm load like that. Me personally would probably run that with slight primer flatting.
I've shot a lot of rounds like that and I believe it will not cause a major failure. But your margin of error is very slim at that point so be careful.
My only problem is some people need major pressure to think they have it and that leads people to believe they can get that and maybe they can but it's not safe.
Heck I've seen guys that never did a ladder and went to the range knowing they loaded over book max. The brass was gone on first firing. I mentioned something about he should start over cause it's not safe. Guy told me that the reloading Manuel is for the weakest rifle they could find and his is a well known brand and it's tough. So I walked away.

Quick load is what Berger used to develope their published load data in their manuals. Just FYI. It has to be used correctly however.
i don't shoot bergers, i don't shoot nosler i don't shoot ,barnes and i can't stand hammers if it was the only bullet i could use id give up hunting before i ever ever give hammer my business
i run 143 eld x in my creed and 162 eld x in my 280 ai
my 6.8 western i shoot factory loads and if i find out hornady is using quick loads
in their reloading ill drop them to and go to cast bullets i won't use quick loads i don't trust quick loads and i won't support any manufacturer that does
no it doesn't have to be used correctly its been proven several times the data for quick loads can be manipulated until the user gets the results they want its been done several times

Well quickload was originally sold to ammo companies to help them develop load data. Ammo companies dont use the same powders we do. So its likely you have shot ammo that was developed with quick load. I also talked to someone I know works for Sierra. Their data is not 100% pressure tested either. I was told thats pretty much standard across the industry. The guys manipulating quick load are changing the burn rate to get the velocity to match their chrono. We all know powder burn rates change from one lot to another. Once you do that and accurately measure your case capacity it can predict pressure very good. Like any computer program you need the right inputs.

Quickload is a tool and like most tools can be very helpful or or not, even dangerous if used incorrectly. I wouldn't trust what comes out without verification. It predicts pretty close results with the 6.5CM and RL26 for the 1/2 dozen rifles we load for. My rifle runs a little fast my son's pressures early and runs slow(both Kimbers). Buddies rifle and his boys (1 kimber and 3 Remington 700) run pretty true. RL26 has been magic for all of them maybe 200fps gain over any others we've tried including Superformance, 6.5 Stabil, and several others.

Using data predicted by Quickload really isn't any different than the manuals. My rifle will still run fast and my son's will still pressure early and be a grain or two lower charge for the same safety level.

I have run Bergers given data for the 6.5CM and it is exactly what quickload predicts.

Recent Posts