Red dot for Revolvers

Mark37082

The only red dot I have used was a cheap unit that was destroyed by a SW500. I'm looking for the best option for 6" Python. I realize I'm going to need to install an adapter mount in lieu of the rear sights. This will be used for range and hunting on occasion. Max range will be probably be 50 yards. Budget depends on value. I was thinking RMR, but not sure if other options would be as good at a lower price point.
Thoughts from the experts?

The Trijicon RCR is suppose to be really tough if you don't mind a small toaster oven on your Python. I have Holosun 407s on my EDCs. I don't think the recoil of a 6" .357 would be too muck for any of them. Riding on a slide is like being attached to a small hammer.

I believe the 407's have 2 MOA reticle. Should be good for precision shooting. I really need to get my hands on some of the options out there to get better feel for size and what more pleasing to my old eyes.

I believe the 407's have 2 MOA reticle. Should be good for precision shooting. I really need to get my hands on some of the options out there to get better feel for size and what more pleasing to my old eyes.
Yeah, they are 2 moa dots. Really pretty quick sight acquisition once you get use to them.

2.5 moa delta point on a Smith 648, even with the alchin mount it's tall. Good for shooting but a pain for packing and pulling out of my chest holster under my jacket.
I was thinking about as well. There are always trade offs. A custom holster may help, but that introduces other pain. Has your delta point been reliable?

If it will survive the 460 XVR, that's saying something. I had Doctor Optics reflex that couldn't handle the SW500. It would seem that racking of a slide would cause more stress, but I did not have any issues with it on my 45 ACP. About 10 shots is all it could stand from the SW500. Maybe I had a dud.

Last edited:
If it will survive the 460 XVR, that's saying something. I had Doctor Optics reflex the couldn't handle the SW500. It would seem that racking of a slide would cause more stress, but I did not have any issues with it on my 45 ACP. About 10 shots is all it stand from the SW500. Maybe I had a dud.

It doesn't have a lot of rounds under it's belt…..but, is about 6 years old. Like I said……So far - So good!

Good luck finding something that will work good for ya! memtb

We put a delta point on a 500 for 250 rounds of a moderate load of 335 rainiers. Wasn't full kilt platinum points, but it was over rainiers velocity guidelines, so a fair bit of oomph. Held up fine. It's probably 1000 Rounds on my 22 mag, so carrying it hasn't done much to it. Only fsult is how big it feels even on a revolver, it's been passed around a half dozen guns precisely because of that.

I've 4:1 rmrs for the delta point, they have optics like beach glass but they are more compact and low profile. Had really hoped the cc version had been adopted more. But the holoson compact mount won out. The cc in a direct mount would have set atop a revolver cleaner.

I understand the desire for viewing window, but on a hunting rig bigger may not be as necessary.

I'll try a closed emitter at some point. But after years of carrying an open dot I've only had emitter blockage once. Not positive it warrants having a big old block on my revolver.

Trying to find a Pic in my phone of the setups.

Delta Point from Leupold. One MOA dot, motion activated.
I ran a Deltapoint Pro on my Staccato carry pistol and it died in 7 months. I don't trust it and it's sitting in my safe. I have a new Trijicon RMR HD on order. I believe it will have much better reliability.

I run a Holosun 407 on my Sig P365X which I pocket carry two days a week. I probably have about 2000 rounds through the Sig and the Holosun has been rock solid.

My wife has been running a Holosun SCS 320 on her Sig P320 and it's been rock solid as well. She just ran 800 rounds through it in a 3 day pistol course and it was great.

Recent Posts