Recommendations on a rifle for my wife..

willisjj

My wife wants to deer hunt this year. She has never shot anything except a .20 guage. She weighs about 135. I was considering a .243 and wondering what yall think or if you have a better suggestion? I don't have much experience deer hunting with a rifle..so I appreciate the input!

If she can shoot a 20ga shotgun, she should be able to handle many calibers...243, 260, 7-08, 308.

Another issue will be how the rifle fits. You need to make sure that the rifle is the right size. A rifle that fits appropriately aids in accuracy and dealing with recoil.

A well-to-do friend of mine just bought his wife her first rifle, a SAKO in .308 Win. Beautiful rifle, and he had the stock cut down to fit her.

I loaded up a mess of ammo for her, using the 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at about 3050 fps to keep recoil nice and mild. She's shot my .308 before and enjoyed it with full-power loads, but it's a pretty heavy rifle compared to her new SAKO.

Rifle fit is likely more important than cartridge selection, particularly if you're a handloader. I'd make sure to buy her a good one though.

FWIW, Guy

I bought my wife her first rifle about 10 years ago in 308win. she shot it but never really enjoyed it. At the time I didnt know a whole lot about fitting a gun to the shooter. But about 2 years ago we went shooting with my uncle and he had a tikka T3 in 7rem mag. She wanted to shoot it cause it was pretty ( it does have a beutiful walnut stock). After trying to change her mind because of the recoil I gave up and she shot it. Loved it. The stock is about an inch shorter then the 308. That tikka is her new go to gun. I had to trade a 338 win mag to get it but it fits well and we spend more time together shooting.:D

I really need to build my wife her own rifle also! I think the 243 and 260 are top on the list, they both are great for deer and elk and moderate ranges and if she needs to reach out she is mean with my 270 WSM!

Last edited:
If I am remembering correctly, Ruger and Remington both make youth models.

I don't know how tall your wife is, but if she's shorter and of small build then perhaps one of the youth models would fit her well without the need to shorten a stock.? I think the youth models are usually short action, so any of the above mentioned calibers would apply there too.

Alot of stocks come too long IMO. Even for myself. The most comfortable rifle I have is a Remington 700 BDL 25-06. But it came with just a hard plastic cap on the butt. I had to have it shortened by an inch before I could install a good recoil pad on it, or it would have been too long. Perfect fit now.

All the calibers listed above will fit the bill. I just took a 218# hog last night with 7mm-08 loaded with Sierra 140gr SPT @ 197 yds and dropped it like a rock. Recoil is light and they are fun to shoot.

You might have her try the fit of a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08. It has a shorter barrel than the regular 700. Another thougt would be the Remington 700 Youth model. It has a shorter stock and barrel and I know of a couple of ladies that like the way it fits their smaller frames. I would lean toward the 7mm-08 in either case. Good shooting.:)

I bought my wife her first rifle about 10 years ago in 308win. she shot it but never really enjoyed it. At the time I didnt know a whole lot about fitting a gun to the shooter. But about 2 years ago we went shooting with my uncle and he had a tikka T3 in 7rem mag. She wanted to shoot it cause it was pretty ( it does have a beutiful walnut stock). After trying to change her mind because of the recoil I gave up and she shot it. Loved it. The stock is about an inch shorter then the 308. That tikka is her new go to gun. I had to trade a 338 win mag to get it but it fits well and we spend more time together shooting.:D

"shooting" with the wife...nice. but do you "reload" :D

Ya I reload. Alot actually. Me and the family burn about 10 to 15 thousand rounds a year. I also take my 2 trigger happy boys with most of the time. Nothin better than a trip out shootin and it being a family event.

My wife bought herself a Remington 700 RMEF rifle in 300 saum and had to have the lop shortened to 12 inches to fit her. It has been fitted with a brake and the trigger set at 2.5 lbs. and she loves to shoot it. To date she has taken 1 grizzly, 1 black bear, 1 caribou and several moose with her favorite rifle. She liked shooting it right off the shelf but once it was modified to suit her she loves it.

Make sure that whatever you get for your wife, it is fitted properly to her.

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.