Recoil and aging

Getting older is a bummer but not getting older means you died!So I'll take it.
When young I used to be very fit and shot anything anyone would let me shoot but now I had problems with recoil too.
Got a Limbsaver recoil pad and the same gun,same load is much easier to shoot.
If you reload shotgun shells you could shoot reduced loads if necessary.As another shooter said,stock fit has a lot to do with recoil.
There are gunsmiths that have all the right tools to help with fitting.Made a huge difference with my brother that shot 3 1/2 in loads for geese.

Last edited:
Perhaps it I made sound worse than it is. I have limbsavor pads on two other scatterguns. They're better than factory
No worries pal, I think sometimes we precieve recoil as being worse than it is when we're focusing on it. My son for example doesn't like practicing much, but if his lil cousin who's the same age is with us…well then it's a competition and he's going to shoot till we run out of shells lol. For me shotgunning, I enjoy it as much as anything so I don't really think about it. Waterfowl has become an obsession like nothing else for me.

Perhaps it I made sound worse than it is. I have limbsavor pads on two other scatterguns. They're better than factory
I've got an SX2 as my main shotgun. It was a huge improvement over my 870! But I still hate recoil. I've been using 2 3/4in shells for ducks the last few years. Just cheap steel but it seems to pattern fine. I'm consistently killing a limit with less shells, using the 2 3/4 because I shoot it better. There is a substantial difference between 3" and 2 3/4, at least to my shoulder. The ducks don't seem to notice the difference however.

You probably know this, but if you want to reduce recoil then get away from that 3 inch and go to 2 3/4. Also, there is NO breakin and hoping the recoil will be less. It is what it is.

🤣 🤣 🤣 Well said.....you skipped the other obvious part......shooting just shy of two slugs in a single shot with a full power load. Yeah no matter how hard we try NEWTONS LAW still applies even today.

The Pachmayr slip on recoil pads are a good cheap way ($10 - $12) to reduce hurt but they increase the pull length by about 3/4 inch. I used the large size on a .375. Flexible soft rubber ribs inside to absorb jab & reduce recoil pain - absorbs shock (longer impulse). Sort of look tacky over real nice wood but can be easily removed.

Last edited:
I know of two champion sporting clays shooters who have had to have neck surgeries due to recoil. Both are still competing now in their 60s, but with semi-autos. In practicing they both use only 7/8 oz loads in their 12 ga. When I shot a lot I only used 7/8 oz loads unless they were very long distance clays, then the 1 1/8 oz came out.
I suffered from a torn retina (trampoline with the granddaughter) and my Dr told me if it totally tears I had 24 hours to get it laser attached. I had a safari coming up in a few moths and knew surgery in 24 hours was an impossibility while in Africa, so I had a brake installed on my 375 H&H. Didn't shoot for months until a couple of weeks before the trip. Worked out OK.
They can install a recoil compensator on your shotgun as an option. I'd probably look at improved pads and mercury recoil reducers first.

All that said, at 76 and carrying light guns, I reduce the payload on all my guns as my first remedy to recoil. Modern advances in projectiles whether bullets or shot have improved killing power for lighter loads.
Best of luck figuring out what works for you!

I'm 66 and work out regularly; my Winchester 12 gauge SX3 kicks hard with heavy loads. I bought a Beretta 12gauge A400 Extreme Plus yesterday. So my first three shots today were 3" 1 3/4 loads. Guess what? This gun kicks hard; I think this "Kick-off" selling point is overrated. I don't regret buying this gun; it is an elite shotgun. Does it need a break-in period for its recoil system?
Yes, you have to break in the kick off. takes about a flat of heavy loads. I know they are expensive, but try some 3" HeviXII's with size 4 shot for ducks. This load will kill ducks further than 3-1/2" steel in any size will cripple them. They are loaded with 12gm tungsten. They have a 3-1/2" load of 2's that works well on geese but cripples pretty bad at ducks. the 3" load in your extrema will kick about as hard as target loads in your SX3. Promise. Hope this helps.

My advice to people would be to get a heavy 20 gauge semi auto or shoot 2 3/4" 12 gauge in a semi auto. You don't need magnum loads to kill birds. Ive shot thousands of ducks, snow geese, and Canada geese with 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #2 steel. I've shot piles of birds with a 28 gauge shooting hevi shot or bismuth in 3/4 and 7/8 ounce. I've also shot ducks and snow geese with my .410. Can't shoot as far but under 30 yards they kill them just fine.

I don't view 1 oz loads of #2 steel out of a 20 gauge as a handicap at all for any decoying waterfowl. They kill birds perfectly at ranges up to 50 yards. Recoil is negligible.

im young and dont care for 12s
my 870 with slugs was about all i wanted, they were also 1-1/4 ounce slugs in a 20(most are 5/8-7/8)
then inherited my grandpas 1100 12g. it wasnt bad at all. now it was an og with the shiny wood stock, so im sure the weight helped.
my only thought is if you want to keep using those shells, get more weight in the stock. either change it out or find a diy way to put weights in that synthetic butt stock

I actually bought a padded shooting coat many years ago for my 458 win mag. I also have the butt stock pad with bullet holder for my 458 Barnes American.

Just go over to Scheels.