R.W. Thomson's Colorado Elk Hunters from the 1960's?

grizzlyff

This is probably a shot in the dark, but....

I am looking for elk or deer hunters (or their family members) that may have participated in western Colorado guided hunts during the late 1950's or 1960's with the (late) well known guide, R.W. Thomson (aka Bob or Tommy Thomson, my uncle) who guided based out of Glenwood Springs, Colorado, but also lived in Woodbine, NJ during part of this time. His hunting areas during this time were either in the Avalanche Canyon area of the Maroon Bells Wilderness Area, or also had some camps located on the Flat Tops (near Glenwood Canyon). These were horse camps, with all gear and hunters using horses.

Thomson was also known for being an early advocate of long range elk hunting which is why I am posting here, and in fact, he published a 1967 article in Guns & Ammo, about techniques for long range elk hunting, and also was co-inventor of the 338-378KT with Elmer Keith.

Anyway, i am looking for any of his past hunters for two reasons:

1. I have some video clips made from mostly 8mm home movies, that I have made into DVD and digital format, I would like to share (some of it still in process), and
2. looking for any of the hunters video that I can combine, and add to the collection. In particular, there was a 16mm movie made by my uncle c1964 that was lost in the 1970's due to a fire, that may possibly have been copied..

Most of his hunters were from the New Jersey / PA areas of the US, although there were certainly others from other states including Texas, OK, and Florida.

Some names I recall (or are mentioned in some of my videos) are:

T.J. Lyle
Keith Topliss
Claude Hitchner
Duke Lyons
Robert Cresse
Slim Glenn

Of course there were many more than that, but would appreciate if any of those hunters or their decendents, which may have any materials to share or would be interested in mine, to please email me privately via the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts