DIY Elk in Colorado?????

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Me and my cousin got a DIY hunt with over the counter elk tags in CO planned for 2008. I got some buddies who do the same every year and while they get quite a ways of the main roads and are more than happy to have us go with them i am a little stubborn and would rather do it ourselves. Plus after my mishaps in WY this year i wanna get WAY off of any roads.

My question is does anyone recommend any units with over the counter tags in CO????? We will have a pack in horse and we are pretty happy with going WAY into country so if you know of a good area i would love to hear it.

thanks

steve

No experience with CO, but I would like to say that do not get into the idea that you need to get WAY off the roads to get your game. This is the general idea in Montana as well and everyyear, the locals kill a load of game within a mile of major roads.

The game will go where hunters are not.

Just find out where the best concentration of game is and go there, if its the back country, thats fine but often that is not needed.

The majority of elk that are taken in my area, the central eastern rocky mountain front are killed within 3 miles of where the rockies break into the foot hills. Sure there are alot of elk taken in the back country but it is not required to go there to kill an elk.

You simply need to be where the elk are and that will suprise you sometimes where they can be found.

Also, I know its nice to do it all yourself, but believe me, when your going into an area you have no experience in, your chances of success ALWAYS increase on average if your with someone that knows the area. Let someone show you the way and your success rates will go WAY up, espeically of those that show you have been successful in the past.

Once you have a bit of experience, they you can go on your own.

Just a thought to try to help you save time and money and increase your odds of bringing home some meat instead of a tag. Still not saying you will kill an elk, that is never a given but your odds increase dramatically if you are with someone with some degree of experience in the area you will be hunting.

You always hear about hunting those elk that have never seen humans, well, I am sure they are out there but the vast majority of elk on this planet know what a human is very well. Its easier to find an elk that has seen a human than hunt for one that never has.

Just my thoughts on the matter, find out where the elk are and if you know someone with experience in that area, you will be far better off.

Course the weather can screw you no matter how far off the roads you are.

I understand your frustrations with the idiots you had to deal with in WY and that can be part of hunting anywhere. Sucks but reality to get away from that, often more then horses is needed because there are idiots in the back country as well!!!! LOL

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch

The long rows of meadows beneath West Elk Peak in unit 53 I believe you can check this on a map to be sure. You can rent horses from a fellow named Dellis Ferrier I believe his web site is diamond d .

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.