Question about annealing

Just out of curiosity what size socket works with the 308/30/06 size cases. I did a few yesterday with drill and socket but could not find a tight enough fit and got a lot of wobble. I could doctor a socket if need be but just wondering
I tried a Blue Point 1/2" shallow wall & fit was tight. The tried a 9/16 Snap-On deep wall both fit nice. I think it may vary on type of maker. I could try a Craftsman but I may have to dig to find one.

Last edited:
I tried a Blue Point 1/2" shallow well & fit was tight. The tried a 9/16 Snap-On deep well both fit nice. I think it may vary on type of maker. I could try a Craftsman but I may have to dig to find one.
I have cobalts that I tried but I haven't tried my set of Sunex deep wall impact sockets yet. They may work Better.

I've annealed a few brass after sizing in the past with no real noticeable change in case dimensions. Think I would anneal a few an see how they look. My main concern with the split necks is if the sizing die your using is sizing the neck down to much prior to expanding them. Rum brass has fairly thick necks compared to some of the other cartridges. This may contribute to work hardening the brass a little quicker.

Just out of curiosity what size socket works with the 308/30/06 size cases. I did a few yesterday with drill and socket but could not find a tight enough fit and got a lot of wobble. I could doctor a socket if need be but just wondering
I use a 14mm deep well 6 side Craftsman socket. Stuffed some steel wool down to where I get the right amount exposed. It's not a tight fit but oddly it doesn't' really wobble all that much. It's easy to dump a finished round into my aluminum tray when done.

Unlike BB's video- I don't run my drill full tilt. My drill lacks a trigger lock, so I went full ghetto and use a hose clamp around the trigger and drill handle- tighten the screw to the appropriate speed and git'rdone.

I use a 14mm deep well 6 side Craftsman socket. Stuffed some steel wool down to where I get the right amount exposed. It's not a tight fit but oddly it doesn't' really wobble all that much. It's easy to dump a finished round into my aluminum tray when done.

Unlike BB's video- I don't run my drill full tilt. My drill lacks a trigger lock, so I went full ghetto and use a hose clamp around the trigger and drill handle- tighten the screw to the appropriate speed and git'rdone.
With my kobalts all were shallow wall and they wobbled no matter what speed. I think my Sunex deep walls should be the ticket. I appreciate the tip. I've always used fingers but arthritis and recent surgery on both hands makes that a tough task.