Q: Heavier Profile & Flute, or go Lighter profile for same weight...???

JustAnOldCooter

Hi Folks,
I appreciate your time and expertise here. I am building a 7-08 for my son on a Rem 700 SA. We hunt in Western US in mostly mountainous terrain so weight is a factor (he's 14 and 140 lbs...not super athletic). I'll be going with McGowen barrels (had great success with them) and my initial thoughts were to go with a 22" Stainless barrel, threaded, in Shilen #5.5 contour (tapers to .750" at the muzzle) and spiral flute to reduce weight. However...OTHER option is to go with a #3 or #4 contour and NO fluting to achieve the lighter weight. As you can see in the attached contour chart, muzzle OD's would be #5.5 .750", #3 .625", #4 .650" respectively. SO...given there are a lot of perspectives on the impact that Fluting a barrel has on accuracy (potentially introduced stress to the steel)...versus the potential walking of impact due to smaller diameter contours with barrel heat...What would you choose to do and why?
Many thanks folks and God Bless...

Attachments

• Contours.png
    Contours.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The suppressor would possibly change my first impulse answer, which was…..go with the lightest contour reasonable. Unless of course, it ruins the rifle balance.

You will very likely carry a hunting rifle far more than you will be shooting it. And, if you've fired enough rounds to heat the barrel…..after about the 3rd shot, you're into the "Hail Mary" shots!

Plus, on a carry hunting rifle, personally I'd "can" the can idea. And, a 7-08 doesn't recoil badly at all…..especially with today's quality recoil pads! memtb

Last edited:
What stock and what does it weigh will you be going with?

What's your total weight goal for the outfit?

Initial thoughts on what I know so far you're going with way too heavy of a counter, especially if a can is in the future!

Also what twist are you going with?

I have 2 McG's (32" 264wm savage magnum contour & 6.5prc AR hbar no flutes). The 6.5 is heavier than the 32" straight fluted. Get something with a .750 muzzle diameter. Depending on flute style it can save a fair amount of weight. 7-08 is going to have little recoil, so weight shouldn't be an issue. Spiral should be good on the #3 and if going #4 try corkscrew or diamond. Keep in mind on how many as I think you could have too many flutes. The only other barrel I have that's fluted is an AR 28" 7saum spiral.

JustAnOldCoot(er), Just chiming in again.

I was certainly no athlete @ 14 and maybe 125 lbs. soaking wet….I bought my first rifle, a Model 88 Win. (a pretty light rifle) in .308 Win. I didn't scope it for about 5 years, and it came with a plastic butt plate. And if I may say so……shot it pretty darn well. Now, 56 or so years later…..it still wears that same plastic butt plate.

What I'm suggesting is….. with today's recoil pads, he should be able to easily handle the recoil. If for noise reduction, very few shots are fired in the field….and ear protection is always an option. "Canning" the rifle adds a bunch of unnecessary muzzle weight and barrel length, unless you chop a bunch off of the barrel. JMO. memtb

Theres two reasons to flute. You already have the barrel and want it lighter or you like the look. It does nothing for accuracy. I am less concerned with real heavy barrels but Id be careful fluting real light sporters and especially button rifled ones. I am happy to do what the customer wants. But my personal rifles dont not get fluted barrels.