public land softwear for GPS

Updated report:

With Eric on the phone he was able to walk me through and fix my problem. It seems for some reason my second un-lock code did not record and this made it unable to transfer the map data to my gps receiver. Even though it told me it did...:)

Anyway it is installed and running. I think adding a pocket protector with 7 pens and a bit of black tape to the bridge of my glasses helped too.

I took the new Garmin 300 Oregon up in the hills for a walk. I was able to walk right up to a BLM border in the middle of a section where no fences are to be seen for quit a ways. Pretty cool!! lightbulb

I am anxious to try the tracking and relaying tracks and waypoints to google earth and be able to print them.

Feeling much better about my new tool and look forward to adding a few more options like the WY map too.

Thanks Len and Eric for your help getting a non computer guy a little more up to speed.

Jeff

broz-is-cool.jpg

:):):): gun)

Sorry I wasn't here to answer your questions, I didn't get email notified of a reply . . . **** computers anyway

Glad you got a hold of me by phone.

No matter how computer illiterate you are, I can help you through getting this map installed on your computer and your GPS. Can be a little difficult the first time but we'll get it done.

Just don't use your date of birth as your GPS unit ID! :D

just a note to len or whoever. your wyoming BLM map chip for my gps SAVED OUR HUNT!!!!!we went to wy. to hunt the hat 6 ranch and by the time we got there it was shot out. all lopes pushed to private land. so we got in the truck and pulled out my gps . turned it on and drove till we could see blm land on the gps. IT WORKED GREAT!we tagged out in three days (two bucks and two doe) thanks to your for saving and making it a great and fun trip. thanks jorge vinals elgin, il.

jorvin, Great to hear!! I just added the Wyoming chip from Lens gear shop to my Garmin Oregon 300. I am planning a WY hunt soon and it is great peace of mind knowing I wil be with in the boundries of the state and blm land. So far my Montana maps has worked awesome and I use it 2 or 3 times a week.

Jeff

I should be getting the wy card for my gps tomorrow. When I put card in gps is there any special I need to do? Will I be able to look at Wy. map without being in Wy? My unit is an Garmin Oregon. Thanks

I should be getting the wy card for my gps tomorrow. When I put card in gps is there any special I need to do? Will I be able to look at Wy. map without being in Wy? My unit is an Garmin Oregon. Thanks

mo, I have an Garmin origon 300. When I got my WY. chip all I had to do was remover the batts and slide the little card in the slot. I replaced the batts went out side and panned clear out and then panned over to WY and zoomed right in on the location I am hunting soon. It was all there and marked in color for BLM, State, and Nat Forest. Simple as can be and I like that...:)

Jeff

Thanks I've got the same model as you. I just need to play with a little.

Len recommended this model to me and I could not be happier. The more I use it the more I learn about it. These maps are a must to a serious hunter. Especially if he is in a new area or just looking for new areas to hunt.

Jeff gun)gun)

I bought mine off ebay there is no card in it. Is there anyway to tell if there has been any maps installed on this GPS? If you go to the where to logo it always ask for places in Texas so I'm assuming the guy must have installed a Texas road map, but I don't know.

I live in Mississippi and all it shows is main highways. Why is it this little thing coast so much, and doesn't have any maps. You can buy a Tom Tom or Garmin Nuva for 89.00 dollars, and it has turn by turn of the whole USA.

i hope you got a book with that unit. if not you will need to get one. they do so many things you will need the book. you may have the decluter on? ALSO I THINK THE USA MAP IS ON THE CHIP SO WITH OUT IT IT MAY ONLY GIVE YOU YOUR LOCAL (I MAY BE WRONG)

Got my card in, and everything seems to work great! Is the cards information stored on the gps or does it have to be in gps to work?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts