Premium 22LR Rifles

If you are used to custom and want a high end .22 then spend a little more and get a Vudoo. You will be much happier with it in the long run and the extra money will be forgotten.
The Vudoo is pricy but sweet. I was able to shoot one last weekend and hit 100,200, & 300 yards first round hits each. I just shot1 round at each target. It was for a giveaway. I am 67, and only have one eye. The gun made it easy, also they had Lapua ammo. I'm no Cracker Jack shot either.

There are so many options out there that it can be hard to narrow them down.

The CZ's are the best bang for the buck out there...but not everyone likes them or wants them.

The Tikka's are pretty neat but can be a challenge if you want to modify them.

The Bergara's do a lot of things right, and it doesn't seem to matter whether you go with the carbon barrel or the steel barrel.

The Sako Quad II's are outstanding!

Anschutz has a lot of options as well and I've never seen one that didn't shoot well.

Cooper blows your budget and while they are pretty, none of the ones I've owned could hang with my CZ's, much less my Anschutz or Vudoo's.

Vudoo's and RimX will definitely wipe out your budget, but they're both amazingly accurate.

In the semi-auto world, there are a lot of options as well, from Rugers to customs.

The Volquartsen's are really nice...and accurate.

The KIDDs have the best trigger I've touched for a 10/22-style rifle...and their barrels are very accurate as well.

If you're willing to buy used, there are more options out there than you can throw a stick at...but I personally love the Kimbers...both the 82's and the K-22's.

I don't think I ever saw a post where you mentioned what you want to do with the rifle. Are you looking for a sweet little walk-around-the-woods rifle or something you can use as a rimfire trainer and shoot NRL22 and PRS with?

My Vudoos get shot more than all of my others combined, but at nearly 18 pounds, they're never going into the woods or used in the field.

My little Christensen Ranger is the ultimate squirrel rifle in my opinion. I don't use it for anything else, but it's perfect in that role.

At the end of the day, if you buy or build one and it doesn't fit...just add another one to the safe!

There 2020 RimFire rifles has bad reviews just want shoot on Al the reviews I read
It's not as bad as they make it out to be. I just bought one last weekend and put a cheap Sig Whiskey 3 scope on it and sighted it in at 50 yards. I only put about 30 rounds through it after a good cleaning to get it sighted in. I wasn't disappointed with what I saw. It will be a good little squirrel gun and I can teach my daughter to shoot with it.

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a really nice 22LR rifle in the future. My budget is preferably $1500 and under. Since building custom rifles for myself, I've had the urge to buy a high quality 22LR. My Uncle has a Kimber 82 with a fluted barrel and beautiful walnut stock and that rifle is what got me wanting a nice rimfire for myself. Having said that, it doesn't seem that Kimber makes their rimfire rifles anymore and the same with Ruger's 77/22, that I also like. I don't know much about rimfires and if the Kimbers and 77/22 Rugers were accurate and reliable. For those with experience owning, shooting, and handling the Kimber 82s and Ruger 77/22s give me your thoughts and opinions on those rifles please. Also, what other premium rimfires would you recommend in my price range? I see that Cooper makes a beautiful 22LR, but the price tag is a little more than I'd like to spend on a rimfire, but other than Cooper, I don't see many classic, higher end rimfires currently available. Thank you!
just build one a bighorn action proof barrel any trigger you want and any stock you want that fits the action

just build one a bighorn action proof barrel any trigger you want and any stock you want that fits the action
I doubt you could do the build you suggest for $1,500 or less, unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. In his price range, Anschutz, CZ, Steyr, Kimber and Browning Bolt action, an old non-saltwood T-Bolt, not the new T-bolt - are pretty much the choices for a blued and walnut stocked rifle. If you open it up to synthetic stocks there are a few more options. The Ruger, as has been said, is notorious for needing a lot of work, just to get it to shoot average.

As I said before, if it were me, I would buy an Anschutz model 54 action in a sporter stock, with sporter weight barrel, for an all round great 22. Lots of great used ones in pristine condition are available in his price range. Even new they are close.

Anschutz 1710 D KL Monte Carlo .22 LR

1700312381731.jpeg

There is also the 1727 available in RH or LH but these would likely be over the budget, even used.

1700312612574.jpeg

Some of these have really nicely figured wood.

1700312778726.jpeg

1700312809396.jpeg

1700312902663.jpeg

Last edited:
It's not as bad as they make it out to be. I just bought one last weekend and put a cheap Sig Whiskey 3 scope on it and sighted it in at 50 yards. I only put about 30 rounds through it after a good cleaning to get it sighted in. I wasn't disappointed with what I saw. It will be a good little squirrel gun and I can teach my daughter to shoot with it.
Forsure it will work for hunting I think they look great smooth action I've yet to shoot one but I've handled several

Recently purchased a CZ MTR. Most accurate 22LR I've ever shot. Right around $800
I own the MTR as well, the Bergara, a target savage and a plain Jane 457. I have spent more on ammo dialing them in than any individual rifle!! The Bergara would make the best squirrel gun, the MTR from the bench. I also own old winchesters, Remington and Anshutz/Savage. The newer guns out shoot them and are handier.

I went down this rabbit hole last year and this year. I ended up with-
2 Vudoo- stupid accurate and smooth but way too heavy to hunt with.
Cooper- will not feed
Three Volquartsen- I think they are overpriced for the average accuracy
Anshutz- classy, light, accurate
Ruger 77/22- light and accurate
6-8 10/22's nothing special.
3 Kids- worth the money. More accurate than the Volquartsen.
3 Kimbers- two with consecutive serial numbers from the 80's- ever shot (bought those for my boys)

So far- the Ruger 77/22 and the Anshutz are the winners. I need to send the cooper back so I can sell it. No point in a new gun that will not feed.

There are so many options out there that it can be hard to narrow them down.

The CZ's are the best bang for the buck out there...but not everyone likes them or wants them.

The Tikka's are pretty neat but can be a challenge if you want to modify them.

The Bergara's do a lot of things right, and it doesn't seem to matter whether you go with the carbon barrel or the steel barrel.

The Sako Quad II's are outstanding!

Anschutz has a lot of options as well and I've never seen one that didn't shoot well.

Cooper blows your budget and while they are pretty, none of the ones I've owned could hang with my CZ's, much less my Anschutz or Vudoo's.

Vudoo's and RimX will definitely wipe out your budget, but they're both amazingly accurate.

In the semi-auto world, there are a lot of options as well, from Rugers to customs.

The Volquartsen's are really nice...and accurate.

The KIDDs have the best trigger I've touched for a 10/22-style rifle...and their barrels are very accurate as well.

If you're willing to buy used, there are more options out there than you can throw a stick at...but I personally love the Kimbers...both the 82's and the K-22's.

I don't think I ever saw a post where you mentioned what you want to do with the rifle. Are you looking for a sweet little walk-around-the-woods rifle or something you can use as a rimfire trainer and shoot NRL22 and PRS with?

My Vudoos get shot more than all of my others combined, but at nearly 18 pounds, they're never going into the woods or used in the field.

My little Christensen Ranger is the ultimate squirrel rifle in my opinion. I don't use it for anything else, but it's perfect in that role.

At the end of the day, if you buy or build one and it doesn't fit...just add another one to the safe!
You or anybody that has one here.
How does your Christensen Ranger shoot/group? I'm thinking about getting one in 22 wmr