Premium 22LR Rifles

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a really nice 22LR rifle in the future. My budget is preferably $1500 and under. Since building custom rifles for myself, I've had the urge to buy a high quality 22LR. My Uncle has a Kimber 82 with a fluted barrel and beautiful walnut stock and that rifle is what got me wanting a nice rimfire for myself. Having said that, it doesn't seem that Kimber makes their rimfire rifles anymore and the same with Ruger's 77/22, that I also like. I don't know much about rimfires and if the Kimbers and 77/22 Rugers were accurate and reliable. For those with experience owning, shooting, and handling the Kimber 82s and Ruger 77/22s give me your thoughts and opinions on those rifles please. Also, what other premium rimfires would you recommend in my price range? I see that Cooper makes a beautiful 22LR, but the price tag is a little more than I'd like to spend on a rimfire, but other than Cooper, I don't see many classic, higher end rimfires currently available. Thank you!
I have 2 anshutz in 22 rimfire they shoot lights out and are beautifully made and you can find plenty ot them used in your budget

I have a Ruger 77 in 22 mag. Had a hard time getting to group @ 100yds. End up taking out over 1/8" from the forarm to float the barrel. Findly getting to group about 1" @ 100yds. Unless they have changed. They are not a threaded barrel. I feel that is part of the problem in getting them to group. I am not a smith, so I may be wrong. It change my POI by 18" in releaving the forarm pressure @ 100yds.
Savage and their 17SWM rifle is about same attachment I believe. I am going to have another rifle built to use the 17SWM chamber in a bolt action. It will be a threaded attachment between bolt and barrel.
If I am wrong please advise!

I have a Ruger 77 in 22 mag. Had a hard time getting to group @ 100yds. End up taking out over 1/8" from the forarm to float the barrel. Findly getting to group about 1" @ 100yds. Unless they have changed. They are not a threaded barrel. I feel that is part of the problem in getting them to group. I am not a smith, so I may be wrong. It change my POI by 18" in releaving the forarm pressure @ 100yds.
Savage and their 17SWM rifle is about same attachment I believe. I am going to have another rifle built to use the 17SWM chamber in a bolt action. It will be a threaded attachment between bolt and barrel.
If I am wrong please advise!
Free floating the barrel definitely helps. The press fit barrel isn't the issue, even most Anschutz are a press fit, not threaded. Shimming the bolt often dramatically improves accuracy. You can buy shim kits pre-made or make you own if you are handy. Next issue with Ruger, just like their 10/22 is trigger pull, followed by relatively poor barrel quality. Fixing the bolt and trigger is pretty cheap, getting a Lilja or other quality replacement barrel, not so cheap.

As I recall the 77/22 uses the same barrel retention design that the 10/22 semi-auto uses. Only a few of the best shooting 10/22 clones out there use a different barrel retention method. So the fault is not necessarily the design, but the execution of that design. Look into the various accuracy methods applied to the 10/22's, I think that you'll find applying those method(s) will have the same positive effect on a 77/22.
If the 77/22's barrel tenon dimensions are the same, then any barrel made for the 10/22 could be used in the 77/22.

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a really nice 22LR rifle in the future. My budget is preferably $1500 and under. Since building custom rifles for myself, I've had the urge to buy a high quality 22LR. My Uncle has a Kimber 82 with a fluted barrel and beautiful walnut stock and that rifle is what got me wanting a nice rimfire for myself. Having said that, it doesn't seem that Kimber makes their rimfire rifles anymore and the same with Ruger's 77/22, that I also like. I don't know much about rimfires and if the Kimbers and 77/22 Rugers were accurate and reliable. For those with experience owning, shooting, and handling the Kimber 82s and Ruger 77/22s give me your thoughts and opinions on those rifles please. Also, what other premium rimfires would you recommend in my price range? I see that Cooper makes a beautiful 22LR, but the price tag is a little more than I'd like to spend on a rimfire, but other than Cooper, I don't see many classic, higher end rimfires currently available. Thank you!
I have a Kimber 22 and in my estimation they have a very poor trigger. I Replaced a trigger Spring to try to lighten it backed the screw back Out all the way.this does not make for a very safe trigger but I will not let anyone else shoot it. if you let the bolt down Hard it will drop the firing Pin when closing the gun not firing but just let's the Sear drop. I have never been able to find a trigger to replace it.
If anyone knows of one please let me know. I shoot silhouettes rifle and it works pretty good accept for the little heavy trigger. The gun shoots better than I can. I also shoot a Ruger American and you can get good triggers for it. You may want to look at the new cadet rifle from Springfield Armony's model 2020 rim Fire. See Article in guns and ammo November 2023 issue page 70.

CZ 453 V Heavy barrel. Boyd's AT1. this is a set trigger gun. Before they tried to save money with the 455/457. On a calm day hitting golf balls at 200 + isn't much of a challenge. Sporting clays at 300 . I'm out of come up on my scope setup past that.

Attachments

• 20230620_212254.jpg
    20230620_212254.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 75
Free floating the barrel definitely helps. The press fit barrel isn't the issue, even most Anschutz are a press fit, not threaded. Shimming the bolt often dramatically improves accuracy. You can buy shim kits pre-made or make you own if you are handy. Next issue with Ruger, just like their 10/22 is trigger pull, followed by relatively poor barrel quality. Fixing the bolt and trigger is pretty cheap, getting a Lilja or other quality replacement barrel, not so cheap.
I had the trigger worked over befor starting to shot it. Interesting on shimming. Thanks.

I had the trigger worked over befor starting to shot it. Interesting on shimming. Thanks.

Have not used their products but this gives some good info.

77/22 Description

TriggerShims 77/17 ~ 77/22 Bolt Shim Description

Item # SS-77/22-17BS

This is the Original TriggerShims Brand 77/22 Bolt Shim Kit!! Used and Approved by Thousands of Shooters Worldwide!

*The Original TriggerShims 77/17 ~ 77/22 Bolt Shims*

Q) How does a Bolt Shim Work??

A) Rimmed cartridges use the thickness of the cartridge rim for headspacing
.22 Rimfires Headspace on the Case Rim, and the actual head space is in the recessed face of the bolt. Shimming between the two bolt halves ensures the bolt is up gently tight against the breech. If the bolt isn't up close against the breech it tends to cause misfires and light strikes. If you are getting misfires and light strikes, shimming is the first, easiest step to solve it.

Generally the excess space between the two bolt halves is between .002" and .006" ~ but can be as much as .010" My 4 Pak kit includes 1 Each of ~ .002" .003" .004" .005" shims for a total of .014" potential adjustment, and thicker shims (or thinner .0015") can be requested if needed.

Accuracy problems can sometimes be caused by a loose bolt, Our Original TriggerShims Brand Bolt Shims can solve accuracy problems caused by a loose bolt.

If a .002" shim cannot be installed because the bolt will not close, or closing requires too much force, your actual working clearance is where it should be, (.001"- plus or minus .0005") and you are the lucky one to have a rifle from the factory that is already in the "Sweet Spot"

If you find Excess Tolerance Space in your rifle, even our thinnest shim has been shown to improve accuracy in most rifles where the Benchrest Shooter did a thorough before and after comparison, and if not, You Have My 100% Satisfaction Money-back Guarantee!

Flyers - if the cartridge is not Fully Consistently seated in the Breech, you will get Inconsistent Accuracy, if you are looking to solve accuracy problems, this is a First and Inexpensive place to start

77/22 Target
Our Shims are Precision USA Made of Precision Shim Stock and have a Industry Standard of Less Than < 10% Thickness Tolerance, and can be used as a measuring device for checking the excess Breech to Bolt Space if any in your rifle

Our Stainless Steel Shims will fit all 77/XX Bolts, This includes 17 Hornet, 17 HMR, 17 WSM, 22 LR, 22 WMRF, 22 Hornet, 357 Magnum, & 44 Rem Mag

TriggerShims Ruger 77 Bolt Shim 4 Pak include:
1 x .002" - 1 x .003" - 1 X .004" and 1 X .005"
for a total of .014" potential adjustment so you will be assured to have more than needed to adjust one rifle.

Our testing has shown trying to shim to less than .001" unnecessary,
and while I can make you .001" shims they are I feel too fragile to be practical

Click Here to Open my Rumble Video Instructions in a New Page

Don't be fooled by COPY~CATS Kits, This is The Original TriggerShims Brand Kit

Another vote for Anschutz.
While not a 22lr. But my 22wmr

Attachments

• 20230507_184341.jpg
    20230507_184341.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220901-023352_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-023352_Gallery.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 48