Parts are comming together - With video

Riflemanse

The parts for my first long range hunting rifle are dropping in pice by pice.

I started with a stock Remington 700 ADL Synthetic in 300WM.

- Base, EGW picatinny with 20 MOA taper
- Rings, Burris Signature (DOA, new are on it´s way)
- Scope, Leupold VX-III Long Range 6.5-20x50 with Alumina Flip-Back covers
- Brake, Defensive Edge .750 (On it´s way)
- Bipod, Harris BRMS with Pod-Loc (Had since before on another of my rifles: http://1911a1.mil.spec.googlepages.com/sws.jpg/sws-full.jpg)
- Aluminium trigger guard (Thanks to James Jones)
- Polished trigger unit (Thanks to James Jones)
- Winchester brass 100 pcs
- Nosler Accubond 200gr 50 pcs (Orderd)
- Hodgdon 1000
- Federal Large Rifle primers
- David Tubbs Final Finish kit (Orderd)
- 5.11 H.R.T Titan Watch (Traded it with a friend. A fun gadget that might come in handy some time.)

gun.jpg

scopecat.jpg

5.11hrt.jpg

The action will be bedded. I will change the stock later on when I can afford it. What do you think about the parts (except the cat and the watch ;-) ?

Last edited:
Looks good, but I recall you had a Walther barrel on another rifle. I still think you should consider discarding that lousy Remmy barrel, and getting a Walther for this one too.

Hi

Yes I have a Lothar walther on another rifle I built. This one will to but right now I cant afford it.
A rebarrel job with a S/S LW barrel cost about $1170 here in Sweden.

Last edited:
Hi James

No, I was sure it would arrive yesterday. I guess it will be here next week :)
Once again, thanks James!

Time for an update.

I got the rifle back from the smith to day after mounting the Defensive Edge Brake, adjusting the trigger pull to about 2.2 lbs and installing a heavier bolt release spring.

To night Ill give the rifle to a friend for bedding and freefloating of the barrel.
(A McMillan stock is ordered but I have to have a decent stock untill it arrives)

rifle.jpg

brake.jpg

Looks good Johan.
Your smith diden't have any trouble with that trigger did he?

I little trick that I have learned with those cheap new Remmy strock os to hog out all the BS little braces in the forend and bed in a couple 1/4" titanium rod from the recoil lug to the sling stud then fill the whole forend with the bedding compound. I use 4 pieces of duct tape run long ways up the barrel from about 1" in front on the lug to a couple inches past where the stock would end this will give you around .050" gap around the barrel to free float the stock , it realy helps with stiffening the forend

Hi

He did not use your trigger, only a lighter spring from it and then polished the original trigger group, but it came out just as I want it :)
Anyway, feels good to have one in spare just in case :)

Thanks for the tip about the stock. I was to the range to day and tried it with a scope mounted for the first time. I was far to the right and a little high, when I had adjusted so I hit about where I was aiming almost all adjustment to the left was used. :-( (I shot on 80m only to day)
I have now put in the offset inserts in the Burris rings to see if that can help.
I noticed that if I torque the rear screws on the base the front part of the base tilts a little to the right showing a gap between reciver and base. So the base is in a little tension and Ill have to bed it. I just dont hope that the holes for the base are off center of the action...
I was shooting the David Tubbs final finish bullets to day so I cant say much about accuracy yet.

The DE brake was GREAT! The rifle now feels as a light Tikka M55 in .243 I had before. :)

Here is a small video from todays shooting.
Defensive Edge Muzzle Brake

My friend Blank noticed somthing strange on the video file. The barrel bends quite a bit. I have done a slow motion clip where it can bee seen clearly.
Clip

Is it normal that the barrel bends that much?

I think that most of that is optical illusion ,like waving a pincel betewwn two fingers makes it look like rubber , BUT , yes you would be supprised how much a barrel moves. I watched some slow motion video of a barreled action being shot from a solid machine rest attached only by the action so their was very little movementother than the barrel and that thing realy wobbles especialy the thinner barrel with the bigger calibers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.