PA. Votes NO

NY has already banned the purchase of black guns through Gov Cuomo's "Safe Act". Depending on which party takes the national elections next Nov it could easily happen on a national level.
Unless the US Supreme Court strikes it down a national ban would be the order of the day. With the dems in control things will continue to get progressively more restrictive from there.
OK, so lets just assume that the fuddy duddy PA game commissioners cave to the demands of the semi auto crowd and approve the use of (all) semi autos for big game hunting with a limit of a 5 round magazine.
Any bets on how long before there is a demand for bigger magazines? Just asking, but my own opinion is that it wouldn't be very long.
At least the Beto O Rourke types are being honest about what they really want and are willing to pay the price for their opinions.
There are PGC meetings open to the public where opinions can be brought to their attention. My advice would be to fill the building with like minded people and take a stand on the issue.

The 2nd admendment has nothing to do with hunting, but through the regs on sports they're attempting to chip away at our rights and freedom.
Only the sophmoric hunters will carry the large capacity magazines and extra weight and that goes away with maturity. Good grief I see a lot gripes now with in our own ranks so jump on the band wagon and fight amongst our own legions.

Last edited:
The 2be admendment has nothing to do with hunting, but through the regs on sports they're attempting to chip away at our rights and freedom.
Only the sophmoric hunters will carry the large capacity magazines and extra weight and that goes away with maturity. Good grief I see a lot gripes now with in our own ranks so jump on the band wagon and fight amongst our own legions.

Fudds like to think they can sacrifice guns that they dont like, in exchange for what they think is a little temporary security.
It's the same concept as the old story of the person who throws another passenger out of the sleigh so that the wolves are preoccupied while he gets away.

Fudds like to think they can sacrifice guns that they dont like, in exchange for what they think is a little temporary security.
It's the same concept as the old story of the person who throws another passenger out of the sleigh so that the wolves are preoccupied while he gets away.
That's a ridiculous argument.
Again, you don't like the law the way it is?
Get off your butt and do something besides bitch about it.

Those folks that are quick to sacrifice guns they don't like need to be made aware that the guns they do like will be sacrificed next. When I'm at the range I try to make sure that those folks understand that. They don't understand that the wolves ( to use your analogy) will never be satisfied.

We have to contest the anti gun side at ever opportunity and not give an inch. And we have to fight them in every domain.

And most importantly we have to educate the "Fudds". We need them voting on our side, not the side of our enemy. Especially in this next election.

That's a ridiculous argument.
Again, you don't like the law the way it is?
Get off your butt and do something besides bitch about it.
Most of us are doing something about it by supporting the 2nd admendment and being involved in lobbying groups which represent us as a grass roots movement. VOTE your lifestyle.

Those folks that are quick to sacrifice guns they don't like need to be made aware that the guns they do like will be sacrificed next. When I'm at the range I try to make sure that those folks understand that. They don't understand that the wolves ( to use your analogy) will never be satisfied.

We have to contest the anti gun side at ever opportunity and not give an inch. And we have to fight them in every domain.

And most importantly we have to educate the "Fudds". We need them voting on our side, not the side of our enemy. Especially in this next election.
You don't need to be doing any educating on how most fudds vote, especially this one.
And your also wasting your time attempting to educate them into believing what you believe about hunting guns.
But you could do a lot of educating about range ethics next time your at that range among a group you seem to relate with.
This has nothing at all to do with our individual right to own guns, and you know that. But you and others choose to use it in that manner in hopes of advancing your own position on it.
Mainly because it's easy and requires very little effort.
All your accomplishing is alienating people who are on the same side of the gun control issue as you claim to be.
I would suggest you read the name on the sign above the door of this website.
Then get this fact if you can.
About 40 years ago when i had yet to be labeled as a fudd, there was an actual member of the PGC who had determined that long range hunting was wrong for the sport of hunting, and laws should be created making it illegal in PA. And he had gathered a lot of support for his opinion. Articles were being published in major newspapers regarding it. Needless to say there was much concern within the then relatively small group of long rangers in PA. BUT, they got together and declared war on him, and went to the PGC and took a stand on the issue. Not very many of you today know anything about any of that and think it's all just an entitlement.
And now we have the internet and sites like this with lots of PA members.
So again i will say get off your butt and go argue your case where it might make a difference.
Simply standing up for something is no different than sitting on your butt and nodding your head in favor of what he said.
I for one am kinda tired of hearing the whining over what the senior members of our society are failing to do for you.

of course. But that only works if you have a thinking person who retains a modicum of an open mind. Fudds tend to be perennial dialogue killers with way too much time on their hands, who hate semis for some illogical reason, usually doesn't even live in the state they are yammering about, and will never, ever stop interjecting and let other people discuss things that they want to talk about. It's like the angry old man who sits on his porch and yells "get off my lawn!" at everyone who walks by. So when you talk about topics like this, all you usually end up with is a conversation ruined by fuddtifa.

Last edited:
You don't need to be doing any educating on how most fudds vote, especially this one.
And your also wasting your time attempting to educate them into believing what you believe about hunting guns.
But you could do a lot of educating about range *Rule 1 Violation*s next time your at that range among a group you seem to relate with.
This has nothing at all to do with our individual right to own guns, and you know that. But you and others choose to use it in that manner in hopes of advancing your own position on it.
Mainly because it's easy and requires very little effort.
All your accomplishing is alienating people who are on the same side of the gun control issue as you claim to be.
I would suggest you read the name on the sign above the door of this website.
Then get this fact if you can.
About 40 years ago when i had yet to be labeled as a fudd, there was an actual member of the PGC who had determined that long range hunting was wrong for the sport of hunting, and laws should be created making it illegal in PA. And he had gathered a lot of support for his opinion. Articles were being published in major newspapers regarding it. Needless to say there was much concern within the then relatively small group of long rangers in PA. BUT, they got together and declared war on him, and went to the PGC and took a stand on the issue. Not very many of you today know anything about any of that and think it's all just an entitlement.
And now we have the internet and sites like this with lots of PA members.
So again i will say get off your butt and go argue your case where it might make a difference.
Simply standing up for something is no different than sitting on your butt and nodding your head in favor of what he said.
I for one am kinda tired of hearing the whining over what the senior members of our society are failing to do for you.

Well, somebody got their depends in a bunch this morning.

If you will read what I said I was advocating doing the opposite of alienating people. It is best if all of us firearms owners are united.

I assure you I have read the "name on the sign above the door of this website". Perhaps you should read the "name on the sign above the door" of this subforum.

Good on you for what you did defending long-range hunting in PA. I hope you continue to do it and encourage others to do it as well.

I don't think anyone in this thread is just "sitting on their butt" and nodding in favor of what somebody said. Some join the NRA, some join GOA, and others such as yourself are able to go to PGCs and contribute. But what is also needed is an effort to get the 70+ million or so gun owners to go out and vote, and vote for candidates that support the Second Amendment as written. This can be done by informing and influencing. Informing and influencing is done through a multitude of mediums such as forums and person to person conversations. Best of all, for those in distant locations, it can be done while "sitting on one's butt"

I am really at a loss to understand what you mean with your last comment:

"I for one am kinda tired of hearing the whining over what the senior members of our society are failing to do for you"

In my comment, I did not mention anything about "senior members". Could you elaborate a bit about what you meant with that comment?

I live in Oklahoma and we are allowed to hunt suppressed and/or with automatic rifles for big game. Maximum capacity is limited to 5 rounds total while hunting big game (whitetail, mule deer, elk, etc.) and I have never heard a request to have legal carry capacity increased. I personally hunt with an AR10 chambered in 308win or a bolt action chambered in .260 rem, depending on where I am hunting. There is nothing that compares to my AR10 for fast work on a herd of pigs, or a follow up shot on a big elk. Where I hunt, we have a small property and cannot afford to have a lung shot elk run 100 yards and cross a fence. We don't have vast tracts of public land to pursue elk in a more traditional manner. An AR10 is also very handy when you are having to help bring down an animal that was poorly shot by the neighbor and is wounded and running at 250 yards. My 9 year old daughter who is tiny (55 lbs) hunts under my supervision with an AR15 shooting 68 grain Barnes TSX handloads. There are many reasons she hunts with that rife for deer. First, I already had it and didn't have to buy a rifle just to see if she was truly interested in hunting and would follow through with taking an animal. Second, it has a collapsable stock and fits her very well, so she can shoot it extremely well. Third, it is heavy enough that it doesn't kick much at all and she is not scared of it. She took her first deer last year and it made it 5 yards before expiring. As far as hunting with a suppressed rifle goes, there is no down side I can find except weight. My hunting partner has two rifles that are suppressed and it is fantastic whenever you forget your hearing protection in the truck. The recoil reduction of a suppressor allows you to stay on the animal and see bullet impact. When I can afford it, I will upgrade and run a suppressor as well. You cannot repair hearing damage.

Maybe all semi auto need to be removed from all hunting aspects so the people can learn what is truly at stake....
Yep...take away semi autos from all bird hunting...nothing wrong with a pump action for quail or ducks or geese.....and no reason for one on Turkey...
Heck no reason to have one at the local gun clubs clays shooting either.....

Well, somebody got their depends in a bunch this morning.

If you will read what I said I was advocating doing the opposite of alienating people. It is best if all of us firearms owners are united.

I assure you I have read the "name on the sign above the door of this website". Perhaps you should read the "name on the sign above the door" of this subforum.

Good on you for what you did defending long-range hunting in PA. I hope you continue to do it and encourage others to do it as well.

I don't think anyone in this thread is just "sitting on their butt" and nodding in favor of what somebody said. Some join the NRA, some join GOA, and others such as yourself are able to go to PGCs and contribute. But what is also needed is an effort to get the 70+ million or so gun owners to go out and vote, and vote for candidates that support the Second Amendment as written. This can be done by informing and influencing. Informing and influencing is done through a multitude of mediums such as forums and person to person conversations. Best of all, for those in distant locations, it can be done while "sitting on one's butt"

I am really at a loss to understand what you mean with your last comment:

"I for one am kinda tired of hearing the whining over what the senior members of our society are failing to do for you"

In my comment, I did not mention anything about "senior members". Could you elaborate a bit about what you meant with that comment?
Well perhaps i should ask you clarify the term Fudd, which seems to be mentioned quite often in relation to all the problems connected with PA hunting laws.
By and large i think most people would associate the word (Fudd) with an elderly person set in their ways and belief system.
And of coarse the PGC in this case is believed to be either run by or controlled by those type people.
Never mind that the hunters plate in PA is very full, there are still a few things some think are missing, and it's all due to Fudd influence.
So we need to re educate those old bastards, (Fudds), to the ways of the modern world.
To which many of those old bastards would say I've seen the modern world and I'm not liking it very much.
Beyond all that, the fact is without the senior hunters today there wouldn't be very many roaming around those millions of acres of PA hunting land.
So in that regard it's much like the present political situation.
You don't like it? That's fine, stop whining and beat us, or otherwise shut up about it, it's gotten old already.
Be more concerned over the long range goals of the DCNR,
And the overall impact that will ultimately have on all hunting in PA.

Well perhaps i should ask you clarify the term Fudd, which seems to be mentioned quite often in relation to all the problems connected with PA hunting laws.
By and large i think most people would associate the word (Fudd) with an elderly person set in their ways and belief system.
And of coarse the PGC in this case is believed to be either run by or controlled by those type people.
Never mind that the hunters plate in PA is very full, there are still a few things some think are missing, and it's all due to Fudd influence.
So we need to re educate those old bastards, (Fudds), to the ways of the modern world.
To which many of those old bastards would say I've seen the modern world and I'm not liking it very much.
Beyond all that, the fact is without the senior hunters today there wouldn't be very many roaming around those millions of acres of PA hunting land.
So in that regard it's much like the present political situation.
You don't like it? That's fine, stop whining and beat us, or otherwise shut up about it, it's gotten old already.
Be more concerned over the long range goals of the DCNR,
And the overall impact that will ultimately have on all hunting in PA.
I think what most consider to be a"Fudd" would be those individuals that think that the Second Amendment only protects hunting and hunting type firearms.

A "Fudd" would think that no one has a " need" for semi autos like ARs, AKs, SCARs etc.

Many so called Fudds will operate under a doctrine of appeasement. They falsely think that if they compromise with the enemy and concede to demands to ban certain types of firearm that their hunting guns will be left alone. Which is false.

Any of that apply to you?

Yes it does, I don't own a semi auto firearm of any type, if that's the type information your looking for.
I have 2 870 Rem shotguns and have never felt the need to (upgrade). Some of my friends have owned 1100s for decades, and yet we still remain friends and hunting buddies.
Ive also been a life member of the NRA since 1972. When i finally got my membership paid off i enrolled my oldest son till i paid his off, and then my youngest son.
I have recently enrolled one of my grandsons, rather than upgrade my current Endowment membership.
So you could say i do believe in supporting the second amendment.
I don't however believe that every individual has the need to own firearms designed for military use.
For the record, i had never heard of a bumpstock until the recent massacre at Las Vegas. When i watched the videos of that i said to myself that's full auto fire coming from that building.
I think most people would have thought the same thing.
Also for the record, when i served in the military it was in Ordnance, Small arms repair, which included all firearms up to and including 50 cal machine guns.
So i do recognize full auto fire when i hear it.
I have made it a point to find out about bumpstocks and how they work, and i have the mental capacity to realize they don't actually convert the firearm to a full auto device, wink wink.
I don't think we need this type of firearm associated with hunting, and what's to stop them once they have been approved?
If that line of thinking makes me a Fudd, then i say long live the Fudds.
If the PGC is finally forced to cave on this issue, then i would hope they see fit to have a separate season for it, so that Fudds like me don't have to be putting up with it.
Give them first choice on the season, which would no doubt be Saturdays and Sundays,
It would be like the old days when the clean Trans Am hunters showed up for the 2 day Doe seasons. Some of the more serious ones actually showed up on Friday evening, so they could have a whole day on Saturday to hunt buck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.