Opening day success.

dogbuster0006

Finally finished grinding burger from these two. About 3pm yesterday they came slipping in the thicket munching acorns. They bedded down in the sunlight 160yds away and slept for almost two hours. As the sun began to set I thought more and more about the taste of fried blackstrap. It'll go good with the pot of soup beans I started at 5:30. Decided the first one to stand up and take few steps for a clear shot was leaving with me. Almost on cue one stood up, I settled the ole Encore on a small sand bag, waiting for her to take a couple steps. As she stepped into the opening I eased the hammer back, found her shoulder and slowly squeezed the trigger. When the shot broke I saw two deer run in opposite directions. I reloaded replaying the shot in my mind, it felt perfectly executed. One deer stopped behind a tree to check on her buddy about 100yds leaving me with no clear shot. After a brutal 15-20 seconds she took a couple steps into a gap and I found her shoulder and threaded the needle between two big sycamore trees. As I reloaded the wife text to ask what I'd shot. She'd seen one run by her but it never hit the pasture. As I scanned with the binos saw the first deer never took a step bang flop. There had been three doe enter the thicket I hadn't seen the third till she ran off. Feeling good about second shot too figured I better head down and start tracking. After a brief interrogation Kelly was pretty sure the deer she saw had her tail down. As she gathered her things to climb down I scanned the hillside and saw a white belly shining through the weeds. The second doe went about 40yds and never left the thicket. We crossed the creek in the pioneer and began bushwhacking to them. She swears she never had a doubt but sure was skeptical for a couple minutes.
They didn't bring a big buck looking for love but they'll fill that empty spot in the freezer just fine. My shots clipped the edge of the scapula on both deer, near perfect shots. The 80gr Speer hot-core did exactly what I've come to expect. Left a dime sized hole in the onside ribs and quarter sized exit wound, juicing lungs in between. Gotta love it when a plan comes together and sharing the first opening day as a married man with my wife was a raving success.

Attachments

• 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 144
  • 72144091038__40071FDC-F9E5-4FFC-92F5-93B3287FBB94.jpeg
    72144091038__40071FDC-F9E5-4FFC-92F5-93B3287FBB94.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Finally finished grinding burger from these two. About 3pm yesterday they came slipping in the thicket munching acorns. They bedded down in the sunlight 160yds away and slept for almost two hours. As the sun began to set I thought more and more about the taste of fried blackstrap. It'll go good with the pot of soup beans I started at 5:30. Decided the first one to stand up and take few steps for a clear shot was leaving with me. Almost on cue one stood up, I settled the ole Encore on a small sand bag, waiting for her to take a couple steps. As she stepped into the opening I eased the hammer back, found her shoulder and slowly squeezed the trigger. When the shot broke I saw two deer run in opposite directions. I reloaded replaying the shot in my mind, it felt perfectly executed. One deer stopped behind a tree to check on her buddy about 100yds leaving me with no clear shot. After a brutal 15-20 seconds she took a couple steps into a gap and I found her shoulder and threaded the needle between two big sycamore trees. As I reloaded the wife text to ask what I'd shot. She'd seen one run by her but it never hit the pasture. As I scanned with the binos saw the first deer never took a step bang flop. There had been three doe enter the thicket I hadn't seen the third till she ran off. Feeling good about second shot too figured I better head down and start tracking. After a brief interrogation Kelly was pretty sure the deer she saw had her tail down. As she gathered her things to climb down I scanned the hillside and saw a white belly shining through the weeds. The second doe went about 40yds and never left the thicket. We crossed the creek in the pioneer and began bushwhacking to them. She swears she never had a doubt but sure was skeptical for a couple minutes.
They didn't bring a big buck looking for love but they'll fill that empty spot in the freezer just fine. My shots clipped the edge of the scapula on both deer, near perfect shots. The 80gr Speer hot-core did exactly what I've come to expect. Left a dime sized hole in the onside ribs and quarter sized exit wound, juicing lungs in between. Gotta love it when a plan comes together and sharing the first opening day as a married man with my wife was a raving success.
Good for you!
Sounds like you two had a great day together.

You did well. Nice shooting, with a nice looking Encore.
We have a Doe in the Freezer, and a Buck at the Locker Plant probably ready to pick up either today or tomorrow. Waiting on the call to go after him.
Enjoy your deer. This is getting cool enough to be a good time for a big pot of Chilli. :)

Bob R

Smoked inner loins a couple days after and a shoulder to make bbq. We have a roast and the fixings in the crock pot now, once the boss gets in from work I'll make a pan of cornbread we're living good. It's finally chili season the temps have been in the 20's here at night.

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpeg
    IMG_4025.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4027.jpeg
    IMG_4027.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 24