OK you sous vide nerds, educate us

Well, I jumped in full force. I liked the idea of a self contained unit with ease of cleaning and programming.

I have a choice roast laid out to thaw, once I season it, I will vacuum bag it and prep it for cooking.

Do y'all sear first or after? Do you start your cook at room temp, frozen/chilled or straight from sear?

Thanks again!
Excellent choice! I bring mine at room temperature; finish with a sear.

OK, 1 1/2lb venison rump, 6hrs at 130º then 1 minute sear per side on the Egg. The texture, tenderness was perfect, the sear could have been better, hotter, but it was a good lesson.

I appreciate everyone's input, this is definitely a learning experience. I am not done by any means.

Temp was 135º internally when pull off the sear. Good friends mother provided the sweet potato casserole, it was the highlight of my meal.

My presentation sux compared to y'alls

IMG_8385.jpeg

Searing is difficult, I still don't do it on a grill. I bet it still tasted great! And pretty sweet to get that temp all the way across such a large cut isn't it

Any seasonings in the bag?

Searing is difficult, I still don't do it on a grill. I bet it still tasted great! And pretty sweet to get that temp all the way across such a large cut isn't it

Any seasonings in the bag?

I have a Bison brisket and an Elk loin that I will play with in the future. I am going to try some cheaper cuts, pork loin or shoulder and a beef rump. I just had 5 or 6 of these venison rump roast in the freezer.

Yes it was awesome to see it was fairly even, just a couple of degrees difference between the thinnest section and the thickest.

I need to replace the stainless basket in my Egg with the original or possibly a better stainless grate so it will breath better, I have noticed that this basket has collapsed over the years and is choking off the air now.

I used melted butter with Meat Church's Garlic and Herb seasoning rubbed all over and down into the cuts from the bone.

IMG_8386.jpeg

I have a chamber vac sealer so it makes things easy. Started a few years ago using ziplock freezer bags and squeezing all the air out as I submerge it. Works fine. Sometimes I lay a long wooden spoon or something across the top of the pot and clip the end of the bag to that to suspend it just right in the water if needed.
Steaks and such, I may go as short as an hour but typically 1-3 hours. I like to season, throw in a few herbs, and a pat of butter. I sear afterwords. Mostly use the gas grill, sometimes a cast iron pan out on the grill to get screaming hot for that instant sear.

I am going to experiment with the longer times on a few roasts. Like 12- 24 hours. Just haven't slowed down long enough to try it.
Just me and the wife, we typically do a third to a half a venison backstrap for a meal. Set about 125-127 but still playing with temps vs sear time. The nice thing about sous vide is it gets done and holds it, so it's ready until you are ready to seat and finish off.

Haven't sprung for an Egg. I am envious lol.

I am using a little cheap sous vide clip on heater in the instant pot liner mostly. Works as well as anything I've seen. Heats and holds temp perfectly.
The hard part for me is getting an almost instant screaming hot sear so it crusts on the outside without overcooking the already almost done center.
We use it quite a bit in the summer and finish on the grill so it doesn't heat up the house. And easier cleanup after getting the sear spatter.