OK you sous vide nerds, educate us

Immersion style works great and doesn't take up any space when not in use. I cover with foil or plastic wrap and then put a kitchen towel over it to keep heat in.

125for venison, 3-5 hours depending on loin or steak, then chill to prevent overcooking before searing. Football roast about 130 for 24 hours then chill a day or so, slice thin and you have the perfect sandwich meat.

I have a wild turkey breast going right now. Seared before cooking with garlic herb mixture added butter and a hand full of blueberries, will suis vide 141 degrees for about 4 hours.
20230501_150524.jpg

What temp and time for venison and elk back straps? I have close to a dozen whole back straps.

My usual method is to slice open, stuff with sausage or hamburger, bacon wrap and then grill. I am thinking about thawing, cutting into "steaks or small loins", seasoning and then rebagging for sous vide.

Are you running them thru the Sous Vide and then refreezing for grilling later?
I understand sous vide to be a method of cooking for a long time at a low temperature.
I I will braise or use a pressure cooker to cook meat - braising for the cuts that aren't too tough, pressure cooker for tougher cuts.
Then I'll assemble whatever meals, vacuum seal and freeze. Makes food quick and easy during the rest of the week.
I could see using sous vide for reheating sauteed mushrooms with a marsala sauce. For things like that, they're already cooked to perfection, so I'll pull out to that that morning and quickly pan fry just before eating.
I have a 3lb chateaubriand marinating in the fridge. I'll pull it out in a morning or three, put it in a Dutch oven, add potatoes carrots, green onions, garlic and spices, and come home to delicious smells.

I sous vide at 118F and pan-seared.
sous-vide-skirt-steak-4-of-5-jpg.170388

The well done is the wife's. 🤣
sous-vide-skirt-steak-5-of-5-jpg.170389
Hoo boy! That looks so good!
That is how I do venison medallions or filet mignon - rub in spices, slow heat it to just below the perfect internal temp for the doneness you like, then fry it in a super hot pan.

Anova devices work great. I've been using one for a couple years and I'm very happy with it. Just make sure your circulator is at least 1000 watts

Well, I jumped in full force. I liked the idea of a self contained unit with ease of cleaning and programming.

I have a choice roast laid out to thaw, once I season it, I will vacuum bag it and prep it for cooking.

Do y'all sear first or after? Do you start your cook at room temp, frozen/chilled or straight from sear?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_8353.jpeg
    IMG_8353.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
It really doesn't matter so much Is your preferrence. The sear will be crispier? If done last.

I have a friend who teaches chefs sous vide techniques and he mentioned searing first to me at dinner parties so I don't have so much going on right before plating. I had never thought of it before then.

Try both :)

I've generally seared afterwards especially for steaks, venison or otherwise. But I seared the above mentioned wild turkey breast first and it enhanced the flavor a lot. That turkey breast was the best I've had and will be my go to aside from smoked.

For steaks you want that full fledged sear/char so I think I will stick with the post sear for that.