Nocturnal bear... Help! VA

220SwiftJustice

The bear on my property only come out at night. I can set out bait as early in the morning as I want and they only come out after dark. There's very very little activity on the property as well so I don't know what their problem is. Any suggestions tips or hints? I'm in VA

Thanks I've been baiting them in to snag pictures and see what's out there but all I get is night shots. It's frustrating. I'll bring the food in at night.

Male bears tend to inhabit large areas. They often walk a 'circuit' around the perimeter of their area leaving sign to let other males know the area is taken. They tend to walk this circuit in a regular fashion - which could mean he hits your area at night.

You can either track him to find where his circuit takes him during daylight hours and shoot him there, or if baiting is allowed, set a lot of tempting bait just out of reach. Something that requires some problem-solving to get at. This may keep him around long enough in the morning hours to allow a shot. Good luck.

The bear on my property only come out at night. I can set out bait as early in the morning as I want and they only come out after dark. There's very very little activity on the property as well so I don't know what their problem is. Any suggestions tips or hints? I'm in VA

You might want to read the VA game laws, baiting ANY animal in VA is illegal.
They can seize your firearm and vehicle if caught hunting bear over bait, even on your own property.
Dave

Link
Bear

I see you mention tracking bears, I'm kinda interested in this. Do you use dogs or just go on sighting tracks and following them?

You may be able to use liquid scent lures instead of illegal food baits. Put them on a sponge and tie to string, throw weighted end over high branch in very thick heavy brush near water. put your trail cam nearby or hunt there. Buy vanilla in bulk at costco. super cheap. can also heat/burn sugar and vanilla in a metal coffee can until gone, makes a heavy scent cloud that will saturate the area for days... no bait left behind so it's legal most areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.