Nine point dropped with a 444.

I used a 444 back in the 90's, I was guiding them and it was my saddle/stocking gun. We had to always worry about grizzly. Mostly after the client shot something. Never needed to use it for that but it was a heck of confidence builder.
I started off shooting 265gr Rem factory loads but soon switched to some hard cast bullets that I got from an older reloader at the time.
I think they were 300-310 gr.
@motrapper is right. Heavy cast is the way to roll. I never found a bullet, gun was never scoped. I killed stuff with it out to 200ish yards
One spike elk at 125. He was DRT

The 265 is the worst bullet for it way to fragile. That bullet was designed for Pistol velocities not 444's.
Load a good hard cast bullet and you can eat right up to the hole. I took a nice Elk thru both front shoulder passed clean thru with little to no meat loss. It bounced going straight down so fast. LOL
Want to learn more about the gun go to Beartooth bullets website and Marlinowners website.
Is it ballard rifled or Micro groove?
Mo, he said 265 Hornday JSP. That is THE bullet for 444 Marlin and has Interlock construction. It will withstand 444 rifle velocities for anything up to and including elk. Hard cast would be OK too, and does well with my 444 and Ballard rifling.

Opposed to a 12 gauge slug, 45-70 or muzzle loader?
Not really opposed to anything like that, it's just I've taken so much game with minimum calibers and never failed. The 444 is imo way to much for deer, 45/70 same, I've dropped a few with 20 ga slugs, but once again arrows are my preferred methods of deer harvesting.

Mo, he said 265 Hornday JSP. That is THE bullet for 444 Marlin and has Interlock construction. It will withstand 444 rifle velocities for anything up to and including elk. Hard cast would be OK too, and does well with my 444 and Ballard rifling.
You are correct my mind jumped to remington and they were 240 grain pistol bullets.
That was a surprising result of the hornady interlock unless you caught part of the shoulder.
I have 3 444's and with the 290 grain beartooth cast bullets I would not feel under gunned on a Griz

Not really opposed to anything like that, it's just I've taken so much game with minimum calibers and never failed. The 444 is imo way to much for deer, 45/70 same, I've dropped a few with 20 ga slugs, but once again arrows are my preferred methods of deer harvesting.
Maybe you should join the "Long Range Archers" hunting forum--jus sayin---

Everything that i have ever shot never went more than a couple steps. The original 240 grain load from remington was kind of a flop. The 265 grain bullet from hornady is excellent. It has enough controlled expansion to not blow up like the 240. Currently working with some lbt style bullets in 325 grain. They showed great promise in a 44 mag super redhawk. The 325 may have a home also in the marlin.

Everything that i have ever shot never went more than a couple steps. The original 240 grain load from remington was kind of a flop. The 265 grain bullet from hornady is excellent. It has enough controlled expansion to not blow up like the 240. Currently working with some lbt style bullets in 325 grain. They showed great promise in a 44 mag super redhawk. The 325 may have a home also in the marlin.
I'm curious what they would do on elk/moose
Do they hold together?
The .444 I had was an old model with 24" barrel
Hope Ruger lets them build a long barreled 444 again.

These will Put them Down Right There
.44 Caliber 290 GR LBTLFN Gas Check Bullet Packed 100/Box 3 .432
45-350 WL... PILE-DRIVER LITE- .45 Caliber Rifle 350GR WLN Gas Check Bullet Packed 50/Box 6 .460

BeartoothBullets.com Nice guy in Idaho for 10 yrs unfortunately he has had some family issues and closed down about 3 months ago. I bought many Boxes as he was always backlogged 3 or more months. So I could spare some.
What are you looking for I have 444 also used in 44mag and 45/70 and 45 colt

I'm curious what they would do on elk/moose
Do they hold together?
The .444 I had was an old model with 24" barrel
Hope Ruger lets them build a long barreled 444 again.
Supposedly the 265 grain is tough enough for elk or moose. Think its up to grizzily too. One guy on the marlin website claims to have killed a grizzly with the 265.... my own personel convictions if griz were on the menu, a heavy for caliber cast of good construction. The 290 has been mentioned before and an excellent bullet it is.

Last edited: