Nightforce vs Leupold

Yeah I always find the mil contracts confusing and contradictory. Leupold has been in and out of mil contracts for years. Looking at the PRS pro preferences the Mark 5 hands down cleans up the competition in 2021. In 2018 it was barely on the radar. #2 scope is Tangent. #3 is NF. What it tells me is that leupold stepped up their game and after using a Mark 5, its legit. On this forum we are talking about a hunting scope and rifle. We have weight management being a big factor so are those scopes really part of the decision making process? I think we gravitate toward someone else's experience, like the PRS pro report, to sway our decisions. According to the 2021 publication a NF, Tangent, and leupold are all top picks. Seems to me a guy just needs to pick his pros/cons and make a decision. I wouldn't probably have my vx6 if I had not won it in a raffle. I am glad I did because it has been a great scope.
I have a MK5 but also a few VX5HD models. Light, clear and dependable. Tracking is 100% and function is excellent. Love the MK5 but my VXHDs are as good of a scope for my hunting rifles.

I think the older a shooter gets, the harder it is to decide which glass truly is better glass. Being only in my 60s, I find it tougher to tell differences in optic clarity from one to another when they are already very close in quality. There was a time I could do this much easier. I was that young guy that the 60 year old or older guys was amazed at that could clearly tell the difference when their eyes could not. I see now how older eyes do not discern this difference as they once did. I'm one of them today. Luckily my side focus adjustment clears the view to 20/20 for me when only prescription glasses do that when I'm not looking thru a scope. I do not shoot wearing glasses and the picture is the same as when I'm wearing glasses. I consider myself lucky for that.

Can't speak for/about NF but I put a Zeiss v6 conquest (25-26oz) on the 7prc I built this year and just put down 2 cows (325 and 250 yds) in Wyoming last week. Being an east coaster that's never shot over 100yds til this year. Had a sig and went to the Zeiss…absolutely no comparison!

I think the older a shooter gets, the harder it is to decide which glass truly is better glass. Being only in my 60s, I find it tougher to tell differences in optic clarity from one to another when they are already very close in quality. There was a time I could do this much easier. I was that young guy that the 60 year old or older guys was amazed at that could clearly tell the difference when their eyes could not. I see now how older eyes do not discern this difference as they once did. I'm one of them today. Luckily my side focus adjustment clears the view to 20/20 for me when only prescription glasses do that when I'm not looking thru a scope. I do not shoot wearing glasses and the picture is the same as when I'm wearing glasses. I consider myself lucky for that.
I am mid 50's and I have pigment dispersion glaucoma. Luckily I have drops that control it but I have lost some vision. It is hard to explain as I see 20/20 and can't tell much difference.
Where I think good glass is different from cheap glass is in the last 10 minutes of twilight.
My Meopta will still produce a clear image 30 minutes past what my brother in laws VX5HD will do.(like an hour past sunset and 30 minutes past is legal shooting time) That was not just my opinion there were 5 of us amazed when we compared the two at dusk. Now his has the fancy christmas tree reticle and he can hammer the crap out of prarie dogs at long range... mine doesn't.

I am mid 50's and I have pigment dispersion glaucoma. Luckily I have drops that control it but I have lost some vision. It is hard to explain as I see 20/20 and can't tell much difference.
Where I think good glass is different from cheap glass is in the last 10 minutes of twilight.
My Meopta will still produce a clear image 30 minutes past what my brother in laws VX5HD will do.(like an hour past sunset and 30 minutes past is legal shooting time) That was not just my opinion there were 5 of us amazed when we compared the two at dusk. Now his has the fancy christmas tree reticle and he can hammer the crap out of prarie dogs at long range... mine doesn't.
Yep this is definitely another area where different scopes shine. I'm not sure I've seen the ability to keep light a little better from better quality glass or bigger tubes and objectives. There is a point of diminishing returns and cheaper quality optics don't hold clarity in low light even if they offer better light gathering. Certainly there is a difference there as well.

See, I am the opposite. I can tell BIG differences in glass quality now that I am 52. Which is unfortunate, because it means I spend a lot more on glass now.

A simple Hash moa or mil scope for holds is not bad. BDC reticles came out for this reason, hold marks for certain distances but it's a bit complicated when you get into different fps and bc rifles. With a moa hash you zero, run the ballistics, and hold the hash, it can be frustrating under pressure. Lots of ways to get there. Those tree reticles are for folks who either shoot comps in a multiple target engagement under time or who refuse to dial. Our modern higher end scopes have few issues with the turrets and designs. Yes, issues can come up with a mass produced product, like any product, but shying away from a dialable system for hunting long range is the opposite of something I would ever want to do. I want my shot to be the most precise it can be vs just ringing steel plates. Now that I have a couple leupold's in vx5 and vx6 I have zero concern about their reliability for a hunting scope. I have a pile of rounds through my vx6 over the past 4 years, generally 2000 per year on that scope, and it works very well. Back to the reticle....... I dial elevation and hold wind. I have nothing against dialing wind but generally we are talking about 4 moa or less so it's just fast, convenient, and makes more sense to me to hold.
I have a rifle that is built and looking at going to 700 to 800 yards. Mostly for P. Dogs and squirrels for now, Also having a second rifle being built that's a little heavier caliber to use also. Being the dogs are little and squirrels even smaller and longer ranges. So everything has to be right on. They make great targets practices and sharpen the eye and shooting skills. Those rifle will go to deer size animals, but I feel that's it.
It does get into a big problem with different velocities that vary greatly. Hunting big game can be a real big problem. So I read and hold to the practices with my larger game rifle that the velocity are very close to the same and shoot under or at 500yds max. There drops are very close to the same. No brainer then.
Liking the imput.