New to Steelhead river fishing ( Springtime )

VLD Pilot

Just purchased rod/reel and waders for this spring Steelhead opener in northern Michigan. Haven't done it in 40 years. Looking for advice on bait, locations ( In a river ), techniques, etc that may help. Assuming cast and watch the bobber as it drifts thru a hole. Never caught one back when I did fish a little for them. Pike were active in that particular river so I did what I needed to make the trip a success...caught alot of Pike!!! Now looking for Steelhead to bite.

Well I'm not from Michigan but I do alot of steelhead fishing in the Pacific Northwest. That being said here we use bobber doggin, sandshrimp, bluefox lures, roe, and plugs. The river condition is key and being there when it's hot. ItllI be on one day and gone the next. The fish of a thousand casts!

If you're talking Northern lower MI most of the rivers are open all year for Steelhead. Manistee River, Betsie River and the Platte River are all good places to start. It's also possible to fish the pier head and beaches of about every port.

when I was a kid we caught lots of nice trout on worms. Plain old red worms
Number 8 short shank with just enough split shot to bounce along the bottom
not anchor it but moving. Drift it under cut banks..log piles..big rocks.
It really works!

If you're talking Northern lower MI most of the rivers are open all year for Steelhead. Manistee River, Betsie River and the Platte River are all good places to start. It's also possible to fish the pier head and beaches of about every port.
Ok planning on heading up the the Manistee at the weir in about 2 weeks. Not much on shoulder to shoulder fishing like it will be on Monday when the season opens. Plan on heading upstream some and find some holes. Never been there so guessing that part of the river will have holes at the bends. Heard that river is fished hard so we'll see. Was invited up by some buddies at deer camp so will try it out

Berkley flick-a shad crankbaits, oslo spinners, cured roe and shrimp all work good! Best times are first couple hours of daylight. Light florocarbon leaders and small hooks are the key with bait fishing. I grew up fishing steelhead in the pnw and the great lakes fishery is a different ball game. Week days with less pressure are definitely better than weekends

Berkley flick-a shad crankbaits, oslo spinners, cured roe and shrimp all work good! Best times are first couple hours of daylight. Light florocarbon leaders and small hooks are the key with bait fishing. I grew up fishing steelhead in the pnw and the great lakes fishery is a different ball game. Week days with less pressure are definitely better than weekends
You got that right. Weekends here are like a circus on the water and in the woods. Retired so week days are all I'll fish. Thanks

I struggled with steelhead when I moved to Oregon in 1980. Read everything available and really worked at it. But when I finally caught my first one (and released it as I promised during the fight) it was like a light bulb went off. I agree with Ard that beads and egg patterns really don't seem like fly fishing to me. And while I have no problem with fishing nymphs for trout, when it come to steelhead I stick to traditional wet flies or topwater skaters.

The best single piece I have read about steelhead tactics is a chapter in John Shewey's book titled "Northwest Flyfishing: Trout and Beyond" The whole book is good, but his one long chapter on steelhead is worth the price of the entire book.

As Ard says, Dump the beads and fish the traditional flies, you wil have a lot more fun in the long run.

I don't know your rivers. We have steelhead top to bottom so we hike in to sections the drift boaters think is their own. We can and can't use bait depending on where we are. No bait I love fishing jigs under slip bobbers. It's been called bobber fishing for 10000 years and now forums call it bobber doggin.
I have the best luck running small 1/8 is huge Maribou. If bait allowed I will tip with cured coon shrimp.

Don't ignore the riffles and small jigs will flow right down them and hit the low drag water where the fish lay.
I also like yellow braid because it floats better casts farther and easy to see. Top shot with some mono. Mend the line like fly fishing then let it run on its own in the current until you want to bring it in.