New rifle build 280IA

What barrel mfg

• Total voters
Where do you get your stats Riley? Not doubting you, just curious.

As for me I just got 3 projects done on Broughton 5C barrels. 2 of them have shot .2" groups, the other I haven't had a chance to flesh out yet.

That said I've read a lot of good things about Benchmark barrels and plan to use some of them for my next 3 projects. Not that I am not satisfied Broughton... I am very happy with those barrels and my dealings with Tim North who is a great guy IMO and will take the time to share his experiences and thoughts with you. I like the idea of the 5C or 5R rifling. Not really sure they are any better then the standard 6 groove barrels, but it sounds like a good concept.

I've got a 338LM with a Benchmark barrel, and have been very happy with it. I'll bet that you won't be disappointed if you go that route. Based on your experience maybe I'll go with Broughton on my next go-around - I like having (and comparing) different manufacturers of "the good stuff".

Brandon

I've got a 338LM with a Benchmark barrel, and have been very happy with it. I'll bet that you won't be disappointed if you go that route. Based on your experience maybe I'll go with Broughton on my next go-around - I like having (and comparing) different manufacturers of "the good stuff".

Brandon

That's what I figure. I would like to try a variety of barrels. Hard to go wrong with most of the custom match grade barrel makers out there. I do like the 5C/5R concept though.

I used Lilja when I was shooting benchrest. I shoot Krieger, Broughton and Bartlein. I just prefer cut rifling now.

Not that Ive ever competed, but looking at Benchrest result/equipment lists, Krieger, Lilja, Brux, Bartlein, are always on there. I would go with one of those listed. Theres not gonna be much difference between all of them anyway. However I would NEVER go with a ER Shaw.

The easiest thing to do is run off of recommendations from your 'smith, you gotta remember he builds rifles for a living. And different 'smiths have different opinions of what works for them and their style of shooting/smithing they cater to. If you don't like what he has to say call another 'smiths and get his opinion. Then call the barrel manufacturers, see what they have to say. This part of the industry is awesome because you can get alot of free info for very little of your time. Just remember I can tell you my experience with 20-30 custom rifles over a lifetime, but that is a yr for a 'smith or 3 working days for a custom barrel shop. Just my .02
Have fun with your build!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

The easiest thing to do is run off of recommendations from your 'smith, you gotta remember he builds rifles for a living. And different 'smiths have different opinions of what works for them and their style of shooting/smithing they cater to. If you don't like what he has to say call another 'smiths and get his opinion. Then call the barrel manufacturers, see what they have to say. This part of the industry is awesome because you can get alot of free info for very little of your time. Just remember I can tell you my experience with 20-30 custom rifles over a lifetime, but that is a yr for a 'smith or 3 working days for a custom barrel shop. Just my .02
Have fun with your build!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Chris, I agree whole-heartedly. My old smith (who has since retired this year), always praised Douglas XX Air-Gauged Match barrels. But my new smith (his protege') likes Krieger or any of the big names. Both have admitted that just about any big name barrel will perform excellently, provided the smith is worth his salt... Will the Benchmark barrels hold up to the hotrod 6.5's better than the other brands? If so, why? Also, do yall offer a 5R rifling option?

For the record, I ask this in a non-biased question, as I have limited interaction with the big name barrels, when it comes to the big names in barrel mfg's. So, please don't take this to offense, this is a genuine question.

I would love to try one of yall's .264 barrels in a 1:8 twist Rem Varmint/Sendero barrels for my Browning .264 WinMag build, but I am unaware what the wait time might be? Do yall offer a LRH member discount? I have heard nothing but excellent reviews for yall's barrels, and would love to try one out...Which is why I ask.

Brux barrel is what i voted for, its whats on my .308 win, it cleans up super super fast, i have a shade over 100 rounds through it since last cleaning and its still shooting sub 1/2 minute, when I do clean it, it cleans up very very fast. Love it.

I have been intrigued with the douglass xx air gauged barrels but after I tried a cut rifled barrel that has been hand lapped, I dont think I could EVER go back to a non hand lapped barrel. Maybe try it on a youth type gun I am pondering on building for my son on a savage action.

Douglas barrels are not lapped if i remember correctly, Heard they shoot very very well, but I have seen reports both ways about how easy they clean up. So I prefer to stay with lapped barrels!

Brux barrel is what i voted for, its whats on my .308 win, it cleans up super super fast, i have a shade over 100 rounds through it since last cleaning and its still shooting sub 1/2 minute, when I do clean it, it cleans up very very fast. Love it.

I have been intrigued with the douglass xx air gauged barrels but after I tried a cut rifled barrel that has been hand lapped, I dont think I could EVER go back to a non hand lapped barrel. Maybe try it on a youth type gun I am pondering on building for my son on a savage action.

Douglas barrels are not lapped if i remember correctly, Heard they shoot very very well, but I have seen reports both ways about how easy they clean up. So I prefer to stay with lapped barrels!

I believe the Douglas XX Air-Gauged barrels are hand-lapped...But not 100% sure.

Also, any smith worth his salt can hand-lap your barrel. My smith does that for all the rifles he builds me.

Our barrels will run with any other custom barrel on the market. As far as how long they last that is something I can't answer, because there are too many factors to consider on the shooters end and cartridge choice. We run 3, 5 and 6 groove barrels with a "special" radius on the lands. Now it just comes down to whether you want a cut or button barrel and how long of wait time is acceptable.
Hope this helps,
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Our barrels will run with any other custom barrel on the market. As far as how long they last that is something I can't answer, because there are too many factors to consider on the shooters end and cartridge choice. We run 3, 5 and 6 groove barrels with a "special" radius on the lands. Now it just comes down to whether you want a cut or button barrel and how long of wait time is acceptable.
Hope this helps,
Chris
Benchmark Barrels
Ok, cool. That's what I was wondering.

What's the average wait time for a 5 groove cut-rifled barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.