New reloader powders RL-23 and RL-26

I think all the new powder data is BLAH BALH. I see no reason for the manufactures to do this conservative BS. It turns me off of buying the newer powders. RL26 in the 338-378 Weatherby with a 250 gr Nosler cruised at over 3200 verified with my Magento Speed v3 yesterday at the range. The reload data will download this to a blah blah junk velocity, I am sure of it.:rolleyes:

You have to account for the chamber variances out there I.E.H :D.... and the fools who will try for new frontiers :rolleyes:... Add that to the fact that most brass won't show distress until you are 5 kpsi or so hot, your data likely will differ a bit from theirs.

The new powders have superseded the old ones, it seems.... It looks from what Alliant is doing on their site that the older rl powders aren't long for the world. For instance, it's hard to find any data for 22 or 25 in the Alliant site for a 7stw.....

Yeah, I'm trying 23 in a 25-06ai, needless to say I started at the top end of what they have listed for a reg 25-06 and it was way low, proving accurate so far but I came up 4 grains from their published max load and when I finally chrono'd it I was getting only mediocre regular 25-06 velocitys.

Going to step it up some and see how it does today. Was hoping to find the temp insensitive replacement for RE22.

Lefty7mmSTW,

Now that is interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

I looked for data on several magnums and you were right only some data showing for RL-22 and RL-25. Have to wonder if they will phase it out.

Might be worth a call to Alliant find out their intentions.

I think all the new powder data is BLAH BALH. I see no reason for the manufactures to do this conservative BS. It turns me off of buying the newer powders. RL26 in the 338-378 Weatherby with a 250 gr Nosler cruised at over 3200 verified with my Magento Speed v3 yesterday at the range. The reload data will download this to a blah blah junk velocity, I am sure of it.:rolleyes:

Well per Alliant's data for the 338 Lapua, they didn't give the the 338/378 data mind you, with a 250gr Nosler Partition, in a 24" barrel 86.7gr of Re26 for 2811fps.

That seems to be really slow. I can get 3100 with R33 and a 300 grain Berger in an improved. My buddy got 3000 with a Savage and a 300 Berger and R33. 2800 with a 250 would I think be slow. Matt

For those who have RL-26 in hand, how dense is it compared to RL-25 or RL-22? By way of example, I know that RL-33 takes up less volume than Retumbo and RL-17 takes up less volume than H4350.

So, I am wondering how RL-26 stacks up in kernel size? Knowing that might yield some clues toward its possible applications.

Well per Alliant's data for the 338 Lapua, they didn't give the the 338/378 data mind you, with a 250gr Nosler Partition, in a 24" barrel 86.7gr of Re26 for 2811fps.

When I use load book it is only for a ball park starting point. NEVER for a ending point. If it does not have the load in it one has to use data by a powder that is almost identical to it. In this case RL25. RL 26 is the "same" but temp stable. I cross refrence this with the Powly and sometimes Quickload....I have found Quickload also to be a refrence, not a ending point.

I went out and did a quick max charge work up for my .300 win mag with RL-26 and 215's and once fired Federal brass. I looked up what they had on the Alliant web site and found a max of 74.6gr for a 3.4" OAL. My rounds are 3.7" OAL so I started at 74gr and went up in 1 grain increments to 78gr. I had a slight ejector ring at 77gr and 78gr proved to be max with a noticeably flattened primer and pronounced ejector ring. Haven't done any Velocity measurements yet, but I am going to try right around 76-76.5gr.

I went out and did a quick max charge work up for my .300 win mag with RL-26 and 215's and once fired Federal brass. I looked up what they had on the Alliant web site and found a max of 74.6gr for a 3.4" OAL. My rounds are 3.7" OAL so I started at 74gr and went up in 1 grain increments to 78gr. I had a slight ejector ring at 77gr and 78gr proved to be max with a noticeably flattened primer and pronounced ejector ring. Haven't done any Velocity measurements yet, but I am going to try right around 76-76.5gr.

It will be interesting to compare your velocity to H1000 loads, look forward to it.

I am curious. I am looking at Retumbo for my .270wsm w/ 175 Matrix. I use RL-19 now for the 140 noz and I like it, metering can be a bit touchy since its extruded but I weight each charge anyway. If RL-26 turns out to be equeal to or better than Retubo, I will have to check it out. This is why I love this place, tons of knowledge out there to help the new guy.

Great news. I shoot a 340 Weatherby with a 28" Lilja tube. My load of 90 grains of R 25 with a 250 gr. SGK is accurate at over 3000 fps., but the velocity range was 40-50 fps. with a 30-40 F temperature rise. I abandoned R 25 and went to a lighter, 225 gr. Interbond bullet and H 4831 SC. The latter load is accurate and does not seem to change velocity with temperature, but at the same velocity as the R 25/250 SGK. A temperature stable version of R 25 would allow me to explore heavier bullets at velocities above 3000 fps.

I am waiting on an answer from Alliant on specs on the RL-26. It has been about a week so far. will give it some more time. As soon as I get the response I will post it here.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.