New reloader powders RL-23 and RL-26

AZShooter

I was visiting Alliant's Reloader's guide and while looking at 243 load data and bumped into what I first thought was a misprint. RL-23 and RL-26 load data are listed.

These two powders are not mentioned anywhere that I could find on their website. I did find a short thread on Sniper's hide:

"I just got this email from ATK.

"....by the way, there are two new powders to soon hit the shelves that are for those large capacity cases and there have been some load data worked up.* These powders will be RL23 and RL26.* The bullet you are asking about is listed but has not as of yet been tested with these two powders.
Thanks,"
Shoot Straight
DuaneVB
CCI/SPEER/ALLIANT POWDER
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID"

------------------------
RL-26 seems particularly interesting. Some loads are quite a bit faster than the other powders listed. I have no idea why they would list the load data yet nothing about the powder is mentioned on their website. Did I miss something?

Anyone know anything more about these new powders?

As a side note I think it is time Alliant redesigns their Reloader's guide. The current guide is tedious.

RL 26 is supposed to be Temperature stable for the large 338 cases. It was determined that RL33 burn rate was a little too slow for the 250 grain bullets and RL 25 was a good match but not stable enough.

RL 23 is for the 7mm and 300 mag class of cartridges. Again Temp stable and better burn ratio for internal pressures.

I have no idea of how temp stable these are going to be but Hodgen marketing has done great and cornered the market on this . Others are trying to break into it.

Powder manufactures have looked at the failure of the short mags and are trying to use the standard tried and true case designs to push performance to the next level.

They are trying to succeed where the short mags failed.

I don't see where the short mags failed. They are really popular and accurate. They are easier on barrels and the accuracy is great. Brass lasts for ever and they are easy to tune. You can drive a 230 Berger 3000 feet a second with 7828SSC.The thing that hurt the short mags was the fact that Jamison put a patent on the case and won the lawsuit against Winchester. Browning immediately stopped production. Nobody wanted to pay the royalty. They are gaining ground because of the records they set in 1000 yard BR and F-class. The accuracy is there and the nodes are big. The brass is built like a tank and you get many reloadings. The short Mag has done away with all the other magnum chamberings in 1000 yard BR. My 308 Baer throat would move 30 thousandths or more a season and the 300 WSM would only move 2 to 3 thousandths a season. It is that popular that when Norma imports brass it is all gone in a few weeks or so. Matt

I don't see where the short mags failed. They are really popular and accurate. They are easier on barrels and the accuracy is great. Brass lasts for ever and they are easy to tune. You can drive a 230 Berger 3000 feet a second with 7828SSC.The thing that hurt the short mags was the fact that Jamison put a patent on the case and won the lawsuit against Winchester. Browning immediately stopped production. Nobody wanted to pay the royalty. They are gaining ground because of the records they set in 1000 yard BR and F-class. The accuracy is there and the nodes are big. The brass is built like a tank and you get many reloadings. The short Mag has done away with all the other magnum chamberings in 1000 yard BR. My 308 Baer throat would move 30 thousandths or more a season and the 300 WSM would only move 2 to 3 thousandths a season. It is that popular that when Norma imports brass it is all gone in a few weeks or so. Matt
Sounds just like the .300 Ackley/.300 AMU (.300 Wby Imp 40*) to me.... And sadly enough, if it weren't for a few BR shooters, and guys like me and my gunsmith, this caliber would have gone the way of the dinosaur, before I was even born. It is a hell of a caliber, and has proven itself over and over again (especially in competition), but for some reason it just never caught fire on the civilian market. I built mine on a Sendero SF platform for a light-heavy (still packable at around 12 lbs.) 1,500 yard capable hunting rifle. So far with the accuracy I've gotten (and I'm still not finalized on load development) it's looking like it might be able to reach my goals. :D

These powders look great. I just so happen to have both a .300 win mag(26") and a .338 Lapua(30") being built right now, if my local shop gets some in I will definitely be trying them. They usually have almost all of the Alliant powders in-stock.

I hope someone comes up with a competition for retumbo that's temp stable. I'm tired of looking for it for my 300RUM. Also need to find me some brass. gun)

Sounds just like the .300 Ackley/.300 AMU (.300 Wby Imp 40*) to me.... And sadly enough, if it weren't for a few BR shooters, and guys like me and my gunsmith, this caliber would have gone the way of the dinosaur, before I was even born. It is a hell of a caliber, and has proven itself over and over again (especially in competition), but for some reason it just never caught fire on the civilian market. I built mine on a Sendero SF platform for a light-heavy (still packable at around 12 lbs.) 1,500 yard capable hunting rifle. So far with the accuracy I've gotten (and I'm still not finalized on load development) it's looking like it might be able to reach my goals. :D

It ain't quite dead yet, I'm getting one built in a hunting setup now and my nephew is planning the same thing for a build this summer.

You are correct though, from everything I have read and seen, it's a heck of a good cartridge. Right at the end of good efficient effectiveness of a mag based 30 cal and the best brass available.

I'm hoping mine will like the 215 Berger hybrids, going to try and get 2900-50 out of them

I found a pound of the Re 26 at the gun show last weekend. Like others, I had to do a double take when I saw it. They had retumbo too, so naturally, I grabbed one of both. I sent off an email to Alliant, and they got back with me yesterday with some load data for #26. It's in PDF, so not sure how to post it on here. I can email it to someone and they can post it if they want. One thing I didn't like, the data for some loads seem pretty blah at best IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.