New muzzle loader?

What encore are you shooting that you're getting" minute of deer at 100" with ? Just wondering I'm shooting a tc pro hunt and tc shockwaves over 70 gr by weight of bh209 and it's shooting inch groups at 100. I've shot it to 250 and can shoot a 3" spot pretty well all day long. As for cleaning bh209 is simple a little bit of hoppes on a patch and you're good to go. I did try a few other bullets and the shockwaves did out shoot the others but they were not horrible. Well under minute of deer

spot on! It can take some time going through different powders and bullets till you find :what the gun likes". I or my gun like dead center bullets, coldnt find them one year bought something differnt same weight etc and couldnt hit a feed bag at 50 yards, got on line ordered my bullets and bang dead center and clover leafs.
What encore are you shooting that you're getting" minute of deer at 100" with ? Just wondering I'm shooting a tc pro hunt and tc shockwaves over 70 gr by weight of bh209 and it's shooting inch groups at 100. I've shot it to 250 and can shoot a 3" spot pretty well all day long. As for cleaning bh209 is simple a little bit of hoppes on a patch and you're good to go. I did try a few other bullets and the shockwaves did out shoot the others but they were not horrible. Well under minute of deer

Muzzleloaders well actually every bangstick is like a female each may like something different but you tinker around enough and you may just figure it out . Boy I really could have went a little different way there

My encore is a older version. Not sure but 12-15 yrs old. Stainless with black plastic stock. I'm currently shooting I think a 360 gr Precision rifle all lead hollow point bullet with 120 by volume of loose 777. Kicks like a horse off the bench! Recoil isn't bad shooting off hand. Bullets have performed great on deer. I tried some of their polymer tipped lighter bullets and they didn't kill well at all. I should try some BH 209. Mainly want something that will reliably shoot 1-1.5" at 100 yds all the time. Also something that is manageable in the recoil department. Most of my hunting is tree stand in thick cover. Shots are typically 30-70 yds, no farther. If hunting fields which is rare I'd shoot to 300 yds. Farthest kill with the encore is 235 yds. How's the recoil with a smokeless shooting a 225-250 gr bullet at a medium load? Not opposed to a brake. All my other Center fire guns have brakes.

If and when you try bh209 remember volume charges and weight charges are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!! I'm pretty certain that it is like 70 gr by weight is a 100 gr by volume charge so its a huge difference. And bh209 recomends not to exceed a 100 gr by volume. Although I've read some people's load development saying they've went higher and had good results but beware

My encore is a older version. Not sure but 12-15 yrs old. Stainless with black plastic stock. I'm currently shooting I think a 360 gr Precision rifle all lead hollow point bullet with 120 by volume of loose 777. Kicks like a horse off the bench! Recoil isn't bad shooting off hand. Bullets have performed great on deer. I tried some of their polymer tipped lighter bullets and they didn't kill well at all. I should try some BH 209. Mainly want something that will reliably shoot 1-1.5" at 100 yds all the time. Also something that is manageable in the recoil department. Most of my hunting is tree stand in thick cover. Shots are typically 30-70 yds, no farther. If hunting fields which is rare I'd shoot to 300 yds. Farthest kill with the encore is 235 yds. How's the recoil with a smokeless shooting a 225-250 gr bullet at a medium load? Not opposed to a brake. All my other Center fire guns have brakes.

Most smokeless MLs are not light 12-15lb range lighter loads are not bad. But I wouldn't want one with out a brake if you get serious about it they need one. For what your doing I would go smokeless with a 18-20" barrel. I have a 45 cal smokeless with a 16"barrel that pushes 250 grain hornadys @2700fps just for tree stand work.

If and when you try bh209 remember volume charges and weight charges are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!! I'm pretty certain that it is like 70 gr by weight is a 100 gr by volume charge so its a huge difference. And bh209 recomends not to exceed a 100 gr by volume. Although I've read some people's load development saying they've went higher and had good results but beware

Respectfully disagree with 100grs VOLUME the maximum recommended.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf

You're correct my bottle says not to exceed 120 . Sorry for any confusion this may have caused
Its what we're all here to do, help each other.

Oh my goodness, the mailman just dropped me off a box, and inside that box was:

Arrowhead 300gr XLD.JPG

Encore those are nice looking bullets! Rumup that's great speed out of such a short barrel. I was think of going with a 22-24".

Encore those are nice looking bullets! Rumup that's great speed out of such a short barrel. I was think of going with a 22-24".
A couple days back, these arrived. (Note: the 5 on the right are bullets sent to me from a gentleman in SD, who wanted me to size them and shoot them with a light load. Conclusion on those 5, it requires a heavier charge than he normally shoots)

Fury 300gr ST2.jpg

I'm jealous of all the choices you guys have for bullets. Not much up here to choose from.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.