New from NW Montana

Shooter2005

Hi all! Been lurking on this site for a while, and decided it's time to introduce myself.
The wife and I moved to Montana, from Kansas, to start a business 15 years ago. Along the way we began breeding, training and hunting Wirehaired Pointing Griffons. Needless to say my focus over the years have been bird hunting, both upland and waterfowl, over our Griffs. I've decided it's time to focus more of my energy on bigger game.
Having followed this site for awhile I've been bitten by the semi-custom/custom rifle bug for hunting. My experience with all things "rifle" is some what minimal. That being said, my thought is a budget build off a donor rifle would be a great experience. I have a Remington Model 700 SPS in 30-06 to use as the donor. I want this build to be primarily for Elk and Mule deer. I might add the area I have the most access to over on the "East side" is wide open and tends to be windy, so I'm looking for something fast and flat with a good thump out to 500 yards or so. Although nothing is written in stone, my primary thought was to chamber in 300 WM. I'm leaning towards a Criterion Remage barrel in a Bell & Carlson stock. I plan on having a smith true the action and upgrading the trigger. I haven't made a decision on a scope yet but plan on using a Warne rail with Talley rings.
Any and all suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Also, I would love to here from any members in the Flathead area. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Allan

Welcome.

As far as thoughts on your build. If a smith is going to true the action, I would forgo the remage barrel and have the smith cut a chamber and install the good barrel for you too. Also, if you decide to do a remage anyway, make sure the smith does not recut/true the barrel threads on the action. Remage barrels are setup for factory threading. When smith recuts it for trueing, often times a Remage will then not fit.

Thanks for the advice Barrelnut. I could drive across the valley to Proof and snag a barrel, but at $900.00 a pop that would be overkill. I'll look into other options. Haven't sat a budget for this build, but don't want to go too crazy. Being my first build, I'm looking at this as more of a learning platform than anything.

Welcome to the forum. I too like the remake setup with the criterion barrel. You can do all the work yourself and it is fun. Well it is addicting and you will be building another on soon

Thanks

Buck

Welcome to the forum. As was suggested, I'd go with a Remington barrel over a Remage style too. Not sure where your at, but Olson in Plains has done a lot of work for people I know. They've all been happy with his work and fair prices.
Good looking dog on your avatar .

Welcome to the forum. As was suggested, I'd go with a Remington barrel over a Remage style too. Not sure where your at, but Olson in Plains has done a lot of work for people I know. They've all been happy with his work and fair prices.
Good looking dog on your avatar .
Griff in the avatar is my dog Shooter. He was a bird hunting machine!
As per the suggestions, definitely going to go with a Remington barrel over a Remage.
Thanks for the tip on Olson over in Plains. Not particularly enamored with the smith I've used in the past. I'm located in the Flathead Valley between Whitefish and Kalispell.

Thanks for the advice Barrelnut. I could drive across the valley to Proof and snag a barrel, but at $900.00 a pop that would be overkill. I'll look into other options. Haven't sat a budget for this build, but don't want to go too crazy. Being my first build, I'm looking at this as more of a learning platform than anything.

First off welcome! Second, I don't live there but travel there often for work so we could meet up sometime and that would be cool.

Also on your build, Proof makes steel barrels also not just carbon ones so look into those. You have a lot of cool places pretty close to you. Defensive edge is in Idaho, snowy mountain rifles are in Missoula and Defiance is in Columbia falls.

First off welcome! Second, I don't live there but travel there often for work so we could meet up sometime and that would be cool.

Also on your build, Proof makes steel barrels also not just carbon ones so look into those. You have a lot of cool places pretty close to you. Defensive edge is in Idaho, snowy mountain rifles are in Missoula and Defiance is in Columbia falls.
Thanks midnightmallory, I'll give Defiance a call and look into the Proof steel barrels. Next time you're in the area let me know.

Griffons,

I am in the Flathead as well. If you want to talk about your semi custom build give me a holler.

406-261-0010

Steve

Griff in the avatar is my dog Shooter. He was a bird hunting machine!
As per the suggestions, definitely going to go with a Remington barrel over a Remage.
Thanks for the tip on Olson over in Plains. Not particularly enamored with the smith I've used in the past. I'm located in the Flathead Valley between Whitefish and Kalispell.

If you do any trapshooting, they have a nice little trap club just north of Kalispell. I travel over there for registered shoots.
Lot of choices for Smith's in north Idaho. Kamfeld Customs is in Sandpoint and Selkirk Precision is is Bonners Ferry. Both of them do very good work at reasonable prices . I'm dropping off a 300 tonight for Selkirk to do some work.
http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/
http://www.smpgllc.com/

Allan,

Greetings from the Great Falls side of the Big Sky Country. Welcome to LRH and enjoy. One thing about MT is we are not short of gunsmiths and of course good people. We have quite a few members on your side and you're in good hands with Steve.

If you are ever on my side and you need any help just give me ring or text (406-750-5899).

Cheers!

Ed

Allan,

Greetings from the Great Falls side of the Big Sky Country. Welcome to LRH and enjoy. One thing about MT is we are not short of gunsmiths and of course good people. We have quite a few members on your side and you're in good hands with Steve.

If you are ever on my side and you need any help just give me ring or text (406-750-5899).

Cheers!

Ed
Thanks Ed! I get over to the "East side" fairly often, I'll give you a call. If you ever make it over to this side, let me know. Call or text anytime to 406 212-5695.

Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.