Nepal Himalayan Blue Sheep March 2022

This is an adventure and experience only a few will have. I'm very fortunate and humble to have been one of them. I knew I had to do this before I got any older. 65 is much different than when I was 45
smile

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks for reading and sharing my adventure.

CHEERS!

Listed are some of my gear. Nothing failed.

My rifle is a Proof Research Terminus in .300WM shooting a Berger 185gr Classic Hunter bullet at 3195fps with H1000. I mount a small Harris BiPod on it.

Scope is Swarovski x5i 5-25x56mm. I have a ballistic tape strip with actual distance on the turret for quick setting after ranging.

Binoculars for this hunt were Leica 10x25 for weight reduction.

Kahles Helia LRF 7x25 worked great to give me proper angle compensation setting

Lowa boots were perfect. Trekking poles are a must have.

I'm not a big camo guy so I use Burton GoreTex shell jacket and pants. Icebreaker Merino base layers. Mountain Hardwear puffy jacket & vest. Alpaca/Merino wool socks.

Tingley EVO Airlight low boots for camp wear

Western Mountaineering Puma GWS -25F sleeping bag (Love it!) Klymit Short air mattress with short Therm-a-rest pad.

Cabela's Large Dry Duffle bag

ACETAZOLAMIDE (Diamox) for Altitude Sickness prevention with no side effects

Items taken but not used: (Weather was warm with minimal breeze but it did snow/rain the last night which melted quickly)

ZOLEO Satellite communicator for emergencies

Black Diamond crampons & ice axe

Wiggy's overboot waders

La Sportiva Nepal Cube GTX boots

Oakley Ski Goggles

GoreTex down mittens

Fleece neck scarf

Suggestions:

USE MORE SUNSCREEN I'm pealing and didn't realize how intense the sun was at altitude. Didn't seem bad at the time. I use SPF lip balm all the time yet still burned.

I put all my clothes in plastic bags inside my duffle to prevent possibility of getting wet. Moisture management is very important

BE PREPARED FOR DELAYS! It took 5 days to get the rifle permits from Nepal Customs and Forestry Minister after I arrived. There might be 25 total hunters who come to Nepal in a year. There are only 18 Blue sheep permits and 14 Tahr permits issued annually. Firearms are not common coming into and exiting Nepal.
The Airport police gave us a very difficult time over the trophies after the chopper flight from Dhorpatan. I think my outfitter had to bribe them to let us go even with all proper documents. I really hated this happening. There is a large sign at the airport stating that they DO NOT ACCEPT BRIBES. Nepal has been the most Red Tape country that I have traveled to around the world.
Great story!

" I have a ballistic tape strip with actual distance on the turret for quick setting after ranging." Please elaborate. Is the DOPE on your tape developed at your US home base? How do you handle deviations in elevation, baro press, temperature at hunt location? Did the RF handle those parameter adjustments? Did you confirm zero and DOPE parameters at your Nepal base camp? Did you do a lot of glassing or did the guides do the glassing? Did you free hand hold the binos while glassing or did you have a mono/bi/tripod for steadiness? Did you take your shots from the bipod, pack, against rocks, or maybe sticks the guides carried??
I am a "minimalist". I am a strong proponent of the "KISS" method. "Keep it simple stupid".

I only shoot my hand loads I develop for my rifles. I'm not a technical long range shooter. I do shoot my appropriate hunting rifles out to 600yds mainly for if something is wounded getting away.

I have never taken a first shot at game over 450yds. Most my kills have been well under 300yds.

I bought this rifle specifically for shooting 600yards because of the terrain of the Marco Polo I hunted a couple years ago.

I actually shot my distances in 50 yard increments out to 600yds. I used a ballistic calculator for longer distances. I found the calculator to be consistent with my actual shot distances.

I had Custom Turret Systems in UT make my turret tapes. This works perfect for me and my methods.

I have a Kahles Helia RF 7x25 rangefinder which compensates angle into yardage. In my hunting situation I don't want to take much time figuring all the data to make a shot. Distance and angle compensated distance is all I use. After that I set my turret for the shot. Everything is right in front of me.

I did shoot my rifle one shot at 100yds while walking the first day out. That's all I need to be confident in my rifle. It's never been off after flights or travel.

I always only hold my binos. I've never used any over 10x that requires a tripod. I use a 15-60x spotting scope after the animals are found.

We all glassed the cliffs and mountain sides.

I shot prone using my bipod.

This is an adventure and experience only a few will have. I'm very fortunate and humble to have been one of them. I knew I had to do this before I got any older. 65 is much different than when I was 45
smile

CHEERS!

My rifle is a Proof Research Terminus in .300WM shooting a Berger 185gr Classic Hunter bullet at 3195fps with H1000. I mount a small Harris BiPod on it.

Scope is Swarovski x5i 5-25x56mm. I have a ballistic tape strip with actual distance on the turret for quick setting after ranging.

I'm not a big camo guy so I use Burton GoreTex shell jacket and pants. Icebreaker Merino base layers. Mountain Hardwear puffy jacket & vest. Alpaca/Merino wool socks.

Western Mountaineering Puma GWS -25F sleeping bag (Love it!) Klymit Short air mattress with short Therm-a-rest pad.

Items taken but not used: (Weather was warm with minimal breeze but it did snow/rain the last night which melted quickly)

Wiggy's overboot waders

Oakley Ski Goggles

GoreTex down mittens

Fleece neck scarf

Suggestions:

USE MORE SUNSCREEN I'm pealing and didn't realize how intense the sun was at altitude. Didn't seem bad at the time. I use SPF lip balm all the time yet still burned.

I put all my clothes in plastic bags inside my duffle to prevent possibility of getting wet. Moisture management is very important

BE PREPARED FOR DELAYS! It took 5 days to get the rifle permits from Nepal Customs and Forestry Minister after I arrived. There might be 25 total hunters who come to Nepal in a year. There are only 18 Blue sheep permits and 14 Tahr permits issued annually. Firearms are not common coming into and exiting Nepal.
The Airport police gave us a very difficult time over the trophies after the chopper flight from Dhorpatan. I think my outfitter had to bribe them to let us go even with all proper documents. I really hated this happening. There is a large sign at the airport stating that they DO NOT ACCEPT BRIBES. Nepal has been the most Red Tape country that I have traveled to around the world.

smile

CHEERS!

Wiggy's overboot waders

Oakley Ski Goggles

GoreTex down mittens

Fleece neck scarf

Suggestions:

What a great adventure. And delays are or should always be expected if your in Central Asia or East Africa. And your outfitter is there to smooth the way in and out of the country. As far as baksheh ( payoffs are concern) these folks are born survivors and will do what it takes to survive so don't sweat it. Your trip supported many many Nepalese families and what ever you paid is a good deal for all. Congrats again and thanks for the write up.
Regards
Rick

Thank you for sharing your dream and congrats on showing us what hard work and determination can achieve. Great photos and written text. Kudos to you!

Recent Posts