Need some help with tracks

65WSM

I found some tracks in the snow in Western Washington in a managed forest at about 650 ft. The tracks looked like cat tracks, domestic cat size or slightly larger. The pads were very round in shape. There was a pile of dung right in the middle of the road (logging road gated) that was fresh (that morning because it was on top of the snow). As I followed the tracks up the road to 1000 ft, there was a second pile in the middle of the road but it was covered with snow so was yesterday or earlier. The feces was really dark, almost black. I could not see bones in it.

Was this a Bobcat as I suspect? Is this a male because of the monuments he leaves in the middle of the road? I suspect a young male.

Photos were taken with a Panasonic camera, not a cell phone, but it is not good at close ups.

Attachments

• P1020180.jpg
    P1020180.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 135
  • P1020181.jpg
    P1020181.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 132
Small male most likely. Not surprising you saw them on a road either. The "bobble"cat isn't too keen on getting his paws roughed up if he doesn't have to... Even though they'll pounce into a furnace if there's prey in there.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.