My New Defensive Edge LRKM

Wy. and MT helping a few friends.

Be sure to take your video and still camera!!! Lots of pics needed!! I love long range pronghorn hunting but will admit, where we hunt, the most challenging thing is getting them to stay put long enough to get set up and also to actually get a range measurement on them.

Have you had any issues ranging them with your Terrapin or have you been able to use it on them yet. I find stubble fields to be a real pain in the rear to range in. Need to step up to one of them new fangled range finders!!! Have fun. Not much more enjoyable then pronghorn hunting, at least as long as the weather co operates somewhat!!

Be sure to take your video and still camera!!! Lots of pics needed!! I love long range pronghorn hunting but will admit, where we hunt, the most challenging thing is getting them to stay put long enough to get set up and also to actually get a range measurement on them.

Have you had any issues ranging them with your Terrapin or have you been able to use it on them yet. I find stubble fields to be a real pain in the rear to range in. Need to step up to one of them new fangled range finders!!! Have fun. Not much more enjoyable then pronghorn hunting, at least as long as the weather co operates somewhat!!

Last year I pulled a double from the same heard, first one at 1005 and the second at 1285. This was with the 300 win. Your right they need to be calm and relaxed, if they are being pushed you just as well let them find their comfort zone, usually in a low spot. We plan to take some video and for sure some pics. But we need to see how that goes. When we go into hunting mode I sometimes forget cameras till its over.:rolleyes:

I am not using a Terripin, I have been using the PLRF10 for about 3 yrs. I have no issues ranging a goat well past a mile, even in a stubble field. But I do it prone off a sand bag. What RF are you using?

I do like to hunt Antelope, they are a great long range game. Out all day and usually in wide open areas so you could watch after the shot for quite a while. Plus if you give them the care in field dressing they deserve they are some of the best table fare I have had.

Jeff

Jeff, if I may ask, what's the difference aside from price between the PLRF10 and the Terrapin?

Jeff, if I may ask, what's the difference aside from price between the PLRF10 and the Terrapin?

Eaglet I am not 100% sure. The PLRF10 was all you could get for a while and is a mil spec unit. If you buy it new they will perform a back ground check on you first. Later the Terripin or PLRF05 was offered as a civilian unit for about 1/2 the price of the 10. I have not had the pleasure to use a Terripin, but have only heard good reports. In fact they have recorded further distances than the 10's. The 10 will run right up to 2999 yards and stop like it has a rev limiter. So far that has worked for me and I feel it is a awesome unit.

Jeff

Eaglet I am not 100% sure. The PLRF10 was all you could get for a while and is a mil spec unit. If you buy it new they will perform a back ground check on you first. Later the Terripin or PLRF05 was offered as a civilian unit for about 1/2 the price of the 10. I have not had the pleasure to use a Terripin, but have only heard good reports. In fact they have recorded further distances than the 10's. The 10 will run right up to 2999 yards and stop like it has a rev limiter. So far that has worked for me and I feel it is a awesome unit.

Jeff

As Jeff says the PLRF10 has a gate or rev limit at 2999 it just wont read 3K, I had a little try on metres to see if I could sneak a bit more distance out of mine, not sure if it worked or not I need to do more testing.

I borrowed a clients Terapin, PLRF05, I couldn't really range any further on the normal objects & in the conditions I use the PLRF10.

I understand they will range much further than the 10 on reflective targets, like they have no rev limit.

They don't have the protective rubber case the 10 does.

Thanks, gentlemen.

Too many toys to have...:rolleyes: My Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30 used to be enough... not any more... One of my sons and my self were shooting at 1836 yards, (farthest ever), and to be able to do that we had to wait till much later than sunset and we had to come back another day to shoot... Had a great time though. :D

Last year I pulled a double from the same heard, first one at 1005 and the second at 1285. This was with the 300 win. Your right they need to be calm and relaxed, if they are being pushed you just as well let them find their comfort zone, usually in a low spot. We plan to take some video and for sure some pics. But we need to see how that goes. When we go into hunting mode I sometimes forget cameras till its over.:rolleyes:

I am not using a Terripin, I have been using the PLRF10 for about 3 yrs. I have no issues ranging a goat well past a mile, even in a stubble field. But I do it prone off a sand bag. What RF are you using?

I do like to hunt Antelope, they are a great long range game. Out all day and usually in wide open areas so you could watch after the shot for quite a while. Plus if you give them the care in field dressing they deserve they are some of the best table fare I have had.

Jeff

Still in the stone age with a Swaro and for really long stuff, my Wilde optical RF

Need to make an investment in a new one but have been waiting until there is one out there I will not outgrow. Seems like those will do that easy enough.

You will see a difference if you shoot a case that has been formed with corn meal next to a case that has one high pressure loading fired in it. The results are generally not dramatic and you will likely need to shoot them at 1K minimum to really be able to tell its the cases that's causing the variation but yes you will see a difference at long range.
Kirby, this may sound stupid but how do you fire form one in corn meal
Dewayne,gun)

The real question that should have been asked is how much pistol powder (Bullseye, Unique, Universal whatever...)!
This is reloading/fireforming for advanced users and not beginners.

Kirby, this may sound stupid but how do you fire form one in corn meal
Dewayne,gun)

In my wildcats based on the 338 Lapua parent case, those being the 277 AM, 7mm AM, 300 AX, 338 AX and 375 AX, I use 16.0 gr GreenDot over a Win Large Pistol Primer(non magnum), then fill the case with plain yellow corn meal. Tamp the case down hard three or four times to settle the corn mean, then make a wad from 1/4 sheet of TP and press it into the case neck with a punch until everything is compressed tightly. Clean case and fire.

For my RUM based wildcats, I use 14.0 gr Green Dot. These include the 257 AM, 6.5mm AM, 270 AM and 338 Ultra Maxx.

For my 408 Chey Tac based wildcats, I use 22.0 gr Green Dot with the same technique as above. These include the 338 AM, 375 AM, 410 AM, 50 AT.

I use green dot because I can get by with using less powder and still get the job done. When your forming thousands of rounds for customers every year, getting by with 10-15 grains less powder per fireformed case adds up to a decent amount of savings.

Use large pistol primers simply because they are plenty hot to ignite the handgun powder and they will also tell me if pressure are getting a bit higher then I want as the thinner cupped handgun primers will flatted much shooter then a rifle primer. If you see ANY primer flattening, your way over pressured or your headspace is to loose.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.